Help me buy a toilet

I've had it with these builder grade pieces of shit in my 1990's era house.  I'm tired of having to flush three times to get rid of a moderately sized turd, not to mention the monsters that come out of my daughter.  I need a recommendation for a nice throne that will suck down a bucket of golf balls in a single whoosh.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Haha 1

American Standard Champion 4
https://www.lowes.com/pd/American-Standard-Champion-White-Elongated-Chair-Height-2-Piece-Toilet-12-in-Rough-In-Size/1000247221

It will never clog.  It can literally flush golf balls.  I've had one for 7 years and never had to plunge it even when we were having septic tank problems.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 2

Special note - if you go the old route (there's a strong market for pre water conservation toilets) be sure you double check your flange from the back wall distance.  Newer toilets with small tanks have flanges closer to the wall and old toilets won't fit.

One piece or two piece?
Single or dual flush?
1.28 or 1.6 gpf
Standard or ada height?
Flush technology preferences?
Color?
Bidet function or no?
Elongated or round bowl?
Right or left lever?

There are over 4,000 toilets available.

Yup, I’ve also been researching toilets.

#ocdtoiletresearch

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

One piece or two piece?

Don't really care, but never had a one piece
Single or dual flush?

Probably single flush
1.28 or 1.6 gpf

What ever works the best, but I'm guess more water is the way to go
Standard or ada height?

Standard
Flush technology preferences?

The one where the shit goes away
Color?

White (no racist)
Bidet function or no?

No (yes I'm an animal)
Elongated or round bowl?

Elongated
Right or left lever?

Left

There are over 4,000 toilets available.

Yup, I’ve also been researching toilets.

#ocdtoiletresearch

My main concern is flushing action.  I'm tired of flushing the toilet and having to stand around to see if the shit goes down or I will need to flush it again.  That being said I'm thinking my preferences are above.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

My main concern is flushing action.  I'm tired of flushing the toilet and having to stand around to see if the shit goes down or I will need to flush it again.  That being said I'm thinking my preferences are above.

Okay the top models for performance are Toto, Kohler and American Standard if you want to keep the price from $200-500.

The tricky part is finding a model that has strong flush action because each one is different. Some kohlers suck and some don’t. And there is some disagreement over flushing performance. consumer Reports has been criticized for being inaccurate but as far as I can tell their ratings hold up reasonably well. I’m leaning Kohler wellworth right now but be careful to get the one with the right height. Wellworth comes in both. I’m also considering Toto but can’t find one in stock and it’s way more expensive. The American standard above is good but may only be available in comfort height. Can’t recall.

Here's my suggestion. Find one with an old-fashioned style of flapper

korky-toilet-flappers-100cm-64_400_compr

The ones I have use a gasket attached to the bottom of a cylinder. The gaskets get old way too fast (and the cylinder doesn't provide enough weight) and water begins to drain slowly from the tank. Before you know it, you're hearing your toilet refill every five minutes or so, all day and all night long.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

Just now, NeverMarryAStripper said:

This one interests me.  I looked at it, but there were some mixed reviews. 

We had a plumber give us an estimate back in June; he was a bit high.  Called another for his recommendation, he recommended the same make/technology.  Called a third, and he did as well.  We figured either Big Toilet had started bribing plumbers on what to recommend, or maybe this particular toilet tech is actually that good.

We also looked at all the online reviews; like you, saw mixed.  But three different plumbers all told us they would use this (even if we bought it on our own and all they did was install it, which is what we ended up doing).

Paid $269 each at Home Depot. The seat and lid are pretty cheap, for what that is worth.  Will replace those soon.

48 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Here's my suggestion. Find one with an old-fashioned style of flapper

korky-toilet-flappers-100cm-64_400_compr

The ones I have use a gasket attached to the bottom of a cylinder. The gaskets get old way too fast (and the cylinder doesn't provide enough weight) and water begins to drain slowly from the tank. Before you know it, you're hearing your toilet refill every five minutes or so, all day and all night long.

This.  Replaced it 3 times before finally get rid of the toilet.

Toto Drake II. Bought two last year and highly satisfied. The pocket is deep, sorry of like the European toilets. I forget what those are called. But it's impossible to clog because of it. The downside is that you can get some "residue" that sticks to the porcelain because only the pocket is underwater. I got the dual flush and I've never even needed the full flush to get anything down. Of course I did supplement it with a nice bio bidet. Check out some reviews, there were multiple sites online that had the Drake II as there best flushing toilet on the market. 

Edited by Baboontyme
  • Like 1

We have Toto in our relatively new house.  We were warned that some didn't have much turdpower.

One thing I recently discovered, and that is that there is a "groove" in the bowl at the waterline.  Not sure what purpose it serves.  But we recently noticed that it was harboring a hard water deposit that was "camouflaged" by the groove.  Nothing like having to scrub the fuck out of a toilet with various cleaners like that.

We have an American standard looks like a Cadet 3. Seems if I hold down on the handle that it gives the flush extra water so most of my shits flush easily.

We mainly went this cadet style over the other style because of cleaning the sides. The tubing on the sides is annoying to clean while this doesn’t collect the dust as easily

5d4f7de197b1e37c6de30aefba54226d.jpg

15 hours ago, kevwun said:

American Standard Champion 4
https://www.lowes.com/pd/American-Standard-Champion-White-Elongated-Chair-Height-2-Piece-Toilet-12-in-Rough-In-Size/1000247221

It will never clog.  It can literally flush golf balls.  I've had one for 7 years and never had to plunge it even when we were having septic tank problems.

this is the correct answer. it is indeed a champion 

11 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

We have some at work with some type of helper pump. Those things are pretty bad ass.

Had a friend in college whose parents had something like that in their house.  Popped the hood lid on it and it looked like there was a little motorcycle engine in there.  You could hear it flush from across the house.

something like this, except their’s was stainless steel.

https://www.flushmate.com

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2020 at 10:11 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think I've ever spent more than $99 for a toilet, and those come in a box from Home Depot.  Swing by Bed Bath & Beyond, grab a "bed in a box", wham! master suite remodel for $249 and a half day's work.

I have a $72 toilet seat. Not a bidet. It's a special fat man toilet seat that allegedly won't break.

Had a friend in college whose parents had something like that in their house.  Popped the hood lid on it and it looked like there was a little motorcycle engine in there.  You could hear it flush from across the house.

Pretty sure that’s what the ones at work have.

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Damn.  Looks like I'll be adding this to the list. 

On 9/19/2020 at 12:12 PM, conVINCEd said:

I have this in my office toilet which was replaced last fall by my landlord.   I had no idea what the heck it was until I asked the plumber who had to come back and make an adjustment to it and he said they were getting more request for these for residential use and I thought it was a just a commercial use thing. And yes it works as advertised and the tank fills up relatively quick just in case there some residual that needs a second flush.  

16 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I have this in my office toilet which was replaced last fall by my landlord.   I had no idea what the heck it was until I asked the plumber who had to come back and make an adjustment to it and he said they were getting more request for these for residential use and I thought it was a just a commercial use thing. And yes it works as advertised and the tank fills up relatively quick just in case there some residual that needs a second flush.  

If you need a second flush with one of those things installed on your shitter you should probably see a medical professional.

• 1 month later...

Slight change of subject. I've got a toilet sitting on tile that isn't level. It moves if you move. How do I fix this? Cut the tile out from under the base and re-seat it? It sounds like there is a small drip going on too, but I'm getting a new flapper, which may help with that, but I replaced it 2 years ago, so I don't know if it is the flapper or the seating. 

Any ideas?

'Comfort Height' toilets are a literal crime against nature.  Lower the better.  Our hall bath has an illegal flush rate on it and sits very awkwardly close to the ground.  But if you've recently eaten the carne guisada breakfast plate with fried egg at Mi Madre's East Side...you're gonna thank me.  

Seriously though, that tall toilet trend of the 2000's...what the fuck was that all about?  It's the worst thing you can do for your body besides heroin.  And even still...