Musicians We've Lost

Sweetnsourpoke

The night of my wife and I's first date I played Guy Clark in my car.  Dublin Blues, stuff that works, Magdalene.  She loved it.  

Every time I listen to Guy Clark, which is pretty often I think about that night and how lucky I am.

Now nearly 12 years later my 4-year-olds favorite song is Man in the Box by Alice and Chains. he loves rocking out in his car seat.  So I think about Layne Staley a lot too.  That guy could fucking sing.

• Hook 'Em 2

I was too young to understand the impact of Bon Scott's death, and ac/dc obviously continued on for many years. 

I am a huge Alice in Chains fan as well. Dirt was just mind-blowing to me, i couldn't stop listening to that whole album for a long time. But it was clear Layne wasn't going to be around for a long time. He basically disappeared about 3 years before he died so news of his actual death was almost anti-climactic.

Cornell was another story altogether. I saw them in 2013 and it was amazing, two and a half hours- no opening act, no breaks, no wardrobe changes, just killing it and Chris owned the room. 

setlist https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/soundgarden/2013/bayou-music-center-houston-tx-13d9b589.html

They were going to be in Houston the week after Detroit and i was going to surprise my son who was a senior in high school at the time and take him. I knew he would dig the show. When he came down to breakfast the morning after it happened, he was looking at his phone and told me. I thought it had to be wrong or a hoax or something.  I wanted so badly for it to be a hoax...

The night they would have been playing on one side of downtown Houston I went to the Zakk Sabbath show on the other side of downtown. They played several SG tunes on the PA between bands and it was very emotional...      

• 2 weeks later...

SRV and Tom Petty for me.  SRV because he had gotten his life back on track and Petty.....still hundreds of songs left to write and I was interesting to see what that led.  

Also, when the Skynyrd plane went down.   I was 14 and I had tickets for their NYE show in Ft. Worth that December.  Plus, I was REALLY interested to see where Steve Gaines was about to take them.  I'm pretty sure Van Zant and Gaines were about to really have an impact on the music together. 

And High Voltage was probably the first real guitar driven rock album I bought so Bon Scott's death pissed me off and I never really cared for the music after that but for some reason, it didn't have impact on me that the other 3 did.   Probably mores because of my age.  

Edited by hullabelew

On 9/18/2020 at 6:54 AM, Bogeywon said:

Kurt Cobain. I was devastated. Still am. wish I knew what his music would have sounded like

Definitely Cobain at the time it happened. I remember seeing the MTV news break in my bedroom. I had no idea how to deal with that at that age and my folks thought I was just being dramatic. 

Prime, Petty and Guy really sucked. Guy was on my birthday, which sucked even more.

There will be some big ones in the not so distant future that’ll hurt a lot. 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pokeNbeans said:

Here's a recent rockumentary produced by the late Terry Kath's daughter. It's a great watch if your into "early" Chicago when they were actually good.

Great documentary.  One of my favorite guitarists ever.

• Hook 'Em 1

This will sound like a strange submission but in 2014 when Tommy Ramone died.

More specifically because at that point all 4 original members of the Ramones were dead. That really struck me.

"By 2014, all four of the band's original members had died – lead singer Joey Ramone (1951–2001), bassist Dee Dee Ramone (1951–2002), guitarist Johnny Ramone (1948–2004) and drummer Tommy Ramone (1949–2014)."