Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead

Michael Knight

Just now, Michael Knight said:

49% of Republican voters identify as Trump supports. He has a 99.99999% approval rating among those voters. A Republican cannot win an election by going against Trump 

That’s factually untrue. 
It’s even more factually untrue in purple states 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I will say that any Republican Senators who oppose filling the nomination this year better have damned good security, because you're going to see Qanon rallying the mouth breathers to do something.  

This. I actually believe Murkowski and Romney might consider standing on principle...for about five minutes.

They’ll whip the votes with guns to heads if they have to.

Damn, just read the news. Set aside all of the political bullshit for now, I hate how she had to spend her last days. I'm a huge term limit guy for Congress and every bit as much for the Supreme Court. A 12 year term would have allowed her  to serve her country on the bench and then 15 years of life after the court. As it is, she no doubt felt obligated to soldier on when her prognosis was grim. Rather than pack the court, I would prefer a more constant churn of justices. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, HRSchenker said:

Logistically speaking, could the Dems block a nominee at all?

No.  Nor should they.  Let the Pubs do their thing so we can rip the bandaid off and there will be no excuse for fighting back with the same ruthlessness that only the pubs can pull off up to this point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I will say that any Republican Senators who oppose filling the nomination this year better have damned good security

You can say the same for McConnell and whoever he nominates.  

Hence my earlier comment that this is the event that lights the fuse.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

Damn, just read the news. Set aside all of the political bullshit for now, I hate that how she had to spend her last days. I'm a huge term limit guy for Congress and every bit as much for the Supreme Court. A 12 year term would have allowed her  to serve her country on the bench and then 15 years of life after the court. As it is, she no doubt felt obligated to soldier on when her prognosis was grim. Rather than pack the court, I would prefer a more constant churn of justices. 

This.  The GOP has caught on to a very important point about lifetime appointments.  Get on the bench young and you've effectively packed the court for a couple of generations.  But it also means you risk elevating someone with less than complete life experiences.  Term limits for the SC should be something looked at.

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

Damn, just read the news. Set aside all of the political bullshit for now, I hate that how she had to spend her last days. I'm a huge term limit guy for Congress and every bit as much for the Supreme Court. A 12 year term would have allowed her  to serve her country on the bench and then 15 years of life after the court. As it is, she no doubt felt obligated to soldier on when her prognosis was grim. Rather than pack the court, I would prefer a more constant churn of justices. 

If she didn’t want to be on the court, she would have retired back in 2014.

• Like 1

RIP RBG.

It's such an amazing confluence of luck, timing, and a better killer instinct than the opponent that the Republicans will have successfully and methodically pushed the government rightward and authoritarian since 2000 while the population as a whole has become much more liberal and libertarian. It's a shame.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

RIP RBG.  

she should have hung up her robe during Obama’s term given her health issues.    Would be fascinating to understand her decision Process to stay in place and roll the dice on Hillary in 2016.   Maybe the story is already posted on prior pages but I’m not going back ...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Dnaguy said:

Hope in one hand, shit in the other.

See which ones fills up faster.

I actually don’t think it’s all that hopeful. I see no reason for any of those three to support the nominee and I doubt any in close races in purple states want to take the fall for Trump.

3 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

If she didn’t want to be on the court, she would have retired back in 2014.

Yeah, RBG was devoted to the law.  She was widowed and her children grown. I do think her final final days were dictated by politics, but before that, she wasn't leaving the bench with her faculties intact.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

I disagree entirely. It’s a horrible messaging moment for anyone in a close race. 

So it's a close race, you say?  I'd say it's horrible messaging to half the crowd, and fucking fantastic to the other half.  Guess which half got their ass that seat in the first place? 

• Hook 'Em 1