Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead

Michael Knight

Hating the democratic party as it's currently constituted doesn't necessarily make you a Fox News parrot.  Don't be so presumptuous.  

Just pits you against nearly every American that’s a person of color, immigrants from South and Central America, pits you against the poor, LGBTQ folks, and those who aren’t Evangelical, so even against Christians of a different persuasion. Your party is dead and irrelevant. Bury it.

4 minutes ago, troph said:

Just pits you against nearly every American that’s a person of color, immigrants from South and Central America, pits you against the poor, LGBTQ folks, and those who aren’t Evangelical, so even against Christians of a different persuasion. Your party is dead and irrelevant. Bury it.

Most people of color do not vote for Democrats.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 15

i can't believe i pos-repped b_t again, but this is right:

The Democrats do not have the political intelligence or will they need to lead effectively, and there is nothing within the Democratic Party power establishment that indicates any changes. 

having said that...Pete's campaign had a plan for both expanding the SC and implementing a rotating, term-limited replacement process to balance out the court in perpetuity. it was very logical and one of the primary reasons i supported him. 

i'm going to spend at least the next couple of days pretending like the D landslide in November will be so yuuuge that implementing something like that will be guaranteed. *sigh*

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1

After I got the horrible news last night and had a tearful phone call with my daughter, I turned my phone off and spent the evening binge watching “Love Island” and giving myself a pedicure.

My brain couldn’t handle what I knew would be a disgusting reaction from Trump and his sycophants.

She was a giant and my personal hero. My daughter used a quote of her’s in her senior bio and as her statement of purpose for rush. We saw the fictional movie and the “Notorious RBG” documentary together.

I’m gutted and this may be the final straw that breaks me and sends me to the ledge permanently.

I feel very hopeless about our country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

One is about being able to defend yourself. 

One is about defending those that can’t defend themselves. 

It’s ok. The two sides value different things.  Just pointing out that they’re the big “fear issues” for the Supreme Court. 

This is going on, and people are still think that they shouldn't protect themselves if they think that a nazi will be posted up in the SC.

If liberals want something constructive, they should be calling Democratic Senators and threatening to back progressive primary challengers if they do not throw their bodies on the line to save the SC and swear a blood oath to pack the court under Biden.

If you really care, this is what you need to do, and more.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

After I got the horrible news last night and had a tearful phone call with my daughter, I turned my phone off and spent the evening binge watching “Love Island” and giving myself a pedicure.

My brain couldn’t handle what I knew would be a disgusting reaction from Trump and his sycophants.

She was a giant and my personal hero. My daughter used a quote of her’s in her senior bio and as her statement of purpose for rush. We saw the fictional movie and the “Notorious RBG” documentary together.

I’m gutted and this may be the final straw that breaks me and sends me to the ledge permanently.

I'm energized.  The gloves are officially off.  Let them do what they will for the next few weeks.  The voters are coming out.  If we take the Senate, the rules are out the window.  You wanted a war?  You got a fucking war.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, bad_teammate said:

If liberals want something constructive, they should be calling Democratic Senators and threatening to back progressive primary challengers if they do not throw their bodies on the line to save the SC and swear a blood oath to pack the court under Biden.

oh, yeah, definitely it is time to start eating your own.

wtf

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

We were Putin this position of power and importance to make decisions for the people who so proudly elected us, the most important of which has long been considered to be the selection of United States Supreme Court Justices. We have this obligation, without delay!

FIFH

52 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Man I did not expect the negative rep I got here. I was speaking very matter of factly and not gloating.  Under the current rules I would fully expect the Dems to do exactly what McConnell purports to do. Perhaps the procedures for appointments need to change. 

Anyway, while there is absolutely nothing fair about politics or life, I’m sorry I clearly offended people who are fearful right now. For what it’s worth I will not be voting for Trump for a second consecutive election. 

You are correct.  Under the “current rules” McConnell and Trump can fill the post.  Lets forget for a moment that under those same “current rules” McConnell refused to allow Obama the same thing.  Thats fine.  Lets just be very clear that this is the criteria going forward.  We no longer care about compromise, respect of precedent  or “giving a little to get a little” as has been the political practice of this country for nearly its entire existence. Cause under the “current rules”, if the dems win the prez and senate they can make DC and PR a state, pack the court, and pass enact any way they see fit.  As long as we are clear on that, and you and your “conservative” cohorts are willing to accept that, then fire away!  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I think the idea that RBG should have stepped down on Obama's watch is not well thought out.  Let's look at a timeline:

1999:  age 66, colon cancer, Bill Clinton in the Oval Office.  Surgery/radiation/chemo succeeded, and she never missed a day on the bench.

2009:  age 76, pancreatic cancer, Barack Obama in the Oval Office.  Surgery successful.

2014:  age 81, coronary disease, Barack Obama in the Oval Office.  Stent implanted.

2018:  age 85, lung cancer, Donald Trump in the Oval Office.  Surgery successful.

2019:  age 86, pancreatic cancer, Donald Trump in the Oval Office.  Radiation successful.

2020:  age 87, pancreatic cancer, Donald Trump in the Oval Office.  Treatments unsuccessful.

Nobody in their right mind would argue that a SCOTUS justice should resign after successful treatment for colon cancer at age 66.  That brings us to a 2nd round of cancer, likely unrelated, early in Obama's tenure.  Surgery knocked it out with no other treatment.  "Should" she have resigned before he ran for reelection?  I don't know that I can say that.  Most SCOTUS justices serve to a ripe old age while suffering common ailments along the way.  This would include the coronary stent in 2014.

By the time Obama nominated Merrick Garland to fill Antonin Scalia's seat in 2016, and Mitch McConnell stonewalled his hearings, the jig was up.  She couldn't resign.  She assumed Hillary Clinton would win the election, as most people did, and so her "job" was to hang on until January 2017.  But, that didn't happen, and then her "job" became to try to hang on for 4 more years.  That didn't happen either.

Basically, the argument boils down to "she should have resigned  before 2012", after successful cancer treatment, because politics.  I think that's a shaky argument.  At that point, she didn't appear to be in imminent risk of dying, and it's not like an elderly person on the bench is some radical turn of events.  In the end, I am quite disheartened that RBG is being shamed after decades of selfless service to her country.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Feeling hopeless was so yesterday. Pull yourself together. Start here:

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/getmitch

• Hook 'Em 3

You are correct.  Under the “current rules” McConnell and Trump can fill the post.  Lets forget for a moment that under those same “current rules” McConnell refused to allow Obama the same thing.  Thats fine.  Lets just be very clear that this is the criteria going forward.  We no longer care about compromise, respect of precedent  or “giving a little to get a little” as has been the political practice of this country for nearly its entire existence. Cause under the “current rules”, if the dems win the prez and senate they can make DC and PR a state, pack the court, and pass enact any way they see fit.  As long as we are clear on that, and you and your “conservative” cohorts are willing to accept that, then fire away!  

This. The previous norm included compromise, and allowing the minority party/position a meaningful voice and role (you know, because the federal govt had a responsibility to ALL Americans, not just those who support the ruling party.)

The new rule is this: win, and do whatever you want. Period.

The Dems need to take power and ram through whatever they want. Don’t talk to the GOP, don’t negotiate with them. No GOP bills make it to the floor. Ever. No GOP amendments are accepted. Ever. Give then nothing. Shove it all down their throat, and grin as you watch them choke. It’s not just winner takes all - it’s winner take all, and do all you can to make the loser suffer.

So, let’s win...and then play the game of Calvinball they insisted we all play.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think the idea that RBG should have stepped down on Obama's watch is not well thought out.  Let's look at a timeline:

1999:  age 66, colon cancer, Bill Clinton in the Oval Office.  Surgery/radiation/chemo succeeded, and she never missed a day on the bench.

2009:  age 76, pancreatic cancer, Barack Obama in the Oval Office.  Surgery successful.

2014:  age 81, coronary disease, Barack Obama in the Oval Office.  Stent implanted.

2018:  age 85, lung cancer, Donald Trump in the Oval Office.  Surgery successful.

2019:  age 86, pancreatic cancer, Donald Trump in the Oval Office.  Radiation successful.

2020:  age 87, pancreatic cancer, Donald Trump in the Oval Office.  Treatments unsuccessful.

Nobody in their right mind would argue that a SCOTUS justice should resign after successful treatment for colon cancer at age 66.  That brings us to a 2nd round of cancer, likely unrelated, early in Obama's tenure.  Surgery knocked it out with no other treatment.  "Should" she have resigned before he ran for reelection?  I don't know that I can say that.  Most SCOTUS justices serve to a ripe old age while suffering common ailments along the way.  This would include the coronary stent in 2014.

By the time Obama nominated Merrick Garland to fill Antonin Scalia's seat in 2016, and Mitch McConnell stonewalled his hearings, the jig was up.  She couldn't resign.  She assumed Hillary Clinton would win the election, as most people did, and so her "job" was to hang on until January 2017.  But, that didn't happen, and then her "job" became to try to hang on for 4 more years.  That didn't happen either.

Basically, the argument boils down to "she should have resigned  before 2012", after successful cancer treatment, because politics.  I think that's a shaky argument.  At that point, she didn't appear to be in imminent risk of dying, and it's not like an elderly person on the bench is some radical turn of events.  In the end, I am quite disheartened that RBG is being shamed after decades of selfless service to her country.

And, I think, contrary to popular belief, even a "political" justice like RBG was probably reluctant to think of things in purely strategic or tactical political terms.  I'd wager that most of them are like that.  It may be kind of an "ivory tower" naivete failing, but it's also kind of admirable.

Plus, the whole thing is tainted by hindsight bias now.

RIP Ms. Ginsburg, we were honored to have you.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

The auto-negging of every post by someone identified as being on the wrong team irrespective of the actual content of the particular post with the intent of getting that person banned is censorship.  

You’re free to go start your own website. You have our blessing 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And, I think, contrary to popular belief, even a "political" justice like RBG was probably reluctant to think of things in purely strategic or tactical political terms.  I'd wager that most of them are like that.  It may be kind of an "ivory tower" naivete failing, but it's also kind of admirable.

Plus, the whole thing is tainted by hindsight bias now.

RIP Ms. Ginsburg, we were honored to have you.

She wanted to step down in 2016 once a Hillary was elected so she could pick the replacement. So she was ready to step down but she foolishly believed Hillary was a lock to win the election. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 8

I’ll get where you are eventually. I’m a mean nasty woman after all.

But I’m not exaggerating for internet hyperbole - I’m truly in mourning right now.

She was the pioneer of equality for women and took the lead role in so many cases that made life an almost equal playing field for American women on so many important issues.

She’s right up there with Thurgood Marshall in the immeasurable legacy they left behind.

My daughter wants to be an attorney. And not one that makes lots of money - she dreams of being an advocacy lawyer - clerking for a SCOTUS justice, going to work for an organization like the ACLU or for voting rights or women’s rights etc. She wants to go into politics/government but not as a candidate but someone behind the scenes who helps craft laws and make a difference.

Mothers and teenager daughters can have difficult relationships. One of the things we bonded over was our love for RBG.

It will take me some time to snap back into fight mode about this. This feels like a personal loss to me.

And the fact that she probably spent her last weeks and days and hours worrying about how her death would be perverted by politics - so much so that she felt the need to issue a statement - instead of enjoying her time with her family makes me so terribly sad and angry.

Rest easy, RBG. We got your back.

Tell your daughter that there’s great satisfaction in the fight. To bring it to the enemy again, and again, and again, relentlessly. We need her.

So, mourn. Realize that the odds for us just got a lot worse. Then fight. Harder, longer, and meaner.

I know women who are the most dogged and tenacious fighters you can imagine. We need millions more like her. I have always loved the old Texas ranger saying, except I genuinely believe that it applies to men and women at least equally...maybe even more so to women:

“No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right and keeps on a-comin'.”

We’re in the right, and we’re gonna keep on a-comin’.

At some point, the GOP will have gone a bridge too far, and will face the fucking destructive counter-attack that it deserves. We may be at that point. Buckle up. It’s going to be ugly. It WILL turn violent (the MAGAs will have it no other way). But know that there is only attack, no retreat.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Just donated to the fuck Mitch train. think I’m going to make it a weekly tradition 

If they can pour a lot of money into Graham's opponent, and if Graham has to take center stage on the nomination, Graham could get the boot.

Still cannot believe he is tied with the D.  But it's 2020, anything can happen.

46 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I agree with you and I think this is more likely than people realize.

3 hours ago, heso said:

That’s not a bad point. There are ~800,000 more registered Democrats in pa than there are republicans. This might be something that gets some of them out to vote. 

Trump only won Pennsylvania by %0.71 - only 44,000 votes.  A state that he actually has some close ties to.

How does he pull that off now, without Hillary on the D ticket, with plenty in PA having been harmed by covid, the economic fallout, etc., and by pissing off shitloads of women?

48 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

oh, yeah, definitely it is time to start eating your own.

wtf

Demanding politicians do what you want or else you will replace them is not "eating your own". If they don't do what I want they aren't mine and they can fuck off.

What are you even talking about?

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You left out resigning in 2012 after Obama secured his 2nd term, which is what I actually argued. Instead, you've constructed a series of elaborate straw men.

lol ok

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We are already an oligarchy, this will just make it more obvious.  In a way, Trump could be a good thing for the long term of the country as we need reminders of what happens when you appease the authoritarians and the wealthy.    The Republican war on education and rigging of the rules being unfettered has created this.   All of us whom ever supported that party in any capacity are responsible as this has been their ultimate goal.    We lapsed is protecting our society, our selves, and our future.  We have a secret police force operating within this country and there is little outrage.   

We all like to imagine ourselves siding with the Revolutionaries but really we are just fans in the stand cheering on our team.  Those men went nuts over taxes and representation.  We celebrate their destruction of property, tarring and feathering of officials.  Then whine because a modern revolutionary stole a bottle of booze and set a couch on fire (even if that claim was true, the percentages are <10%).  

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

That's the thing.  Rs have hit their ceiling, and the mid-terms proved that.  

Dems flipped 41 seats in the House in 2018, and flipped the House by the largest margin since Watergate, and quite a few state legislatures and positions flipped across the US, more than flipped Republican.  And all of that flipping occurred in a mid-term, when Trump wasn't on the ticket, but Trump was actively campaigning in many of those states.

And now we've got audio of Trump downplaying the covid stuff, which fucked up our economy, and we've got Trump and the Rs acting incredibly shitty towards an elderly woman that many other women hold up as a hero.

Republicans are not acting like a party that thinks it will be in power come January.    They are not thinking beyond the elections.  They are not asking how these actions are going to play with moderates, women, in battleground states.   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump only won Pennsylvania by %0.71 - only 44,000 votes.  A state that he actually has some close ties to.

How does he pull that off now, without Hillary on the D ticket, with plenty in PA having been harmed by covid, the economic fallout, etc., and by pissing off shitloads of women?

I'm very much an "I told you so" kind of guy who won't let bygones be bygones. I'm tired of hearing the constant, unrelenting nonsense about Hillary. FUCK. THAT.

Fuck all the so-called liberals who validated the far-right and the sycophantic Washington press corps eating up the fun reality TV guy insult dog. By giving voice to and ramping up the inane misogynistic criticisms not based in factual reality, they all enabled an unqualified, narcissistic psychopath to ascend to the highest  elected office in the land at the expense of the most qualified presidential candidate in modern history.

Good job, Hillary haters. This is on you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Oh, by the way, the whole "RETIRE NOW SO HE CAN PICK YOUR REPLACEMENT!" thing isn't some kind of hindsight issue. There were voices calling for it and she rebuffed them.

April 2011 - Why Ginsberg and Breyer Should Retire Early

If we take her at her word, she simply didn't care who would replace her. Which was her right.

On Friday, she said repeatedly that the identity of the president who would appoint her replacement did not figure in her retirement planning.

“There will be a president after this one, and I’m hopeful that that president will be a fine president,” she said.

She made a choice and we're all living with it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That's the thing.  Rs have hit their ceiling, and the mid-terms proved that.  
Dems flipped 41 seats in the House in 2018, and flipped the House by the largest margin since Watergate, and quite a few state legislatures and positions flipped across the US, more than flipped Republican.  And all of that flipping occurred in a mid-term, when Trump wasn't on the ticket, but Trump was actively campaigning in many of those states.
And now we've got audio of Trump downplaying the covid stuff, which fucked up our economy, and we've got Trump and the Rs acting incredibly shitty towards an elderly woman that many other women hold up as a hero.
Republicans are not acting like a party that thinks it will be in power come January.    They are not thinking beyond the elections.  They are not asking how these actions are going to play with moderates, women, in battleground states.   

That’s right...because their approach and strategy transcends elections and makes them irrelevant. It’s the most dangerous thing about the GOP.

I'm very much an "I told you so" kind of guy who won't let bygones be bygones. I'm tired of hearing the constant, unrelenting nonsense about Hillary. FUCK. THAT.
Fuck all the so-called liberals who validated the far-right and the sycophantic Washington press corps eating up the fun reality TV guy insult dog. By giving voice to and ramping up the inane misogynistic criticisms not based in factual reality, they all enabled an unqualified, narcissistic psychopath to ascend to the highest  elected office in the land at the expense of the most qualified presidential candidate in modern history.

Yep.

12 hours ago, markstanco said:
13 hours ago, UpperWestside said:
I agree completely. Quit pontificating here and get out there and do your part. You cannot just sit on the sideline anymore and let others do the heavy lifting. I had to accept that I had not done enough so I got up and started helping. This stuff has to be stopped. We cannot function in any way that resembles how we should as a society when millions of us do not care enough to do their part. If you let this cult have their way going forward they will just keep gutting this country. Enough has to be enough.

What has to be stopped?

The 2020 version of the 1930s Nazi party you so proudly support. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Demanding politicians do what you want or else you will replace them is not "eating your own". If they don't do what I want they aren't mine and they can fuck off.

What are you even talking about?

You left out resigning in 2012 after Obama secured his 2nd term, which is what I actually argued. Instead, you've constructed a series of elaborate straw men.

lol ok

Fuck your "strawmen".  You can't read.  I pointed out exactly why there was no need to resign at that point -- she was healthy and wanted to work.  Resigning in Obama's second term would have happened near the end, but then McConnell revealed how loathesome he is and that option no longer existed.

I don't know if you could be more politically inastute if you actually tried.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

51 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This. The previous norm included compromise, and allowing the minority party/position a meaningful voice and role (you know, because the federal govt had a responsibility to ALL Americans, not just those who support the ruling party.)

The new rule is this: win, and do whatever you want. Period.

The Dems need to take power and ram through whatever they want. Don’t talk to the GOP, don’t negotiate with them. No GOP bills make it to the floor. Ever. No GOP amendments are accepted. Ever. Give then nothing. Shove it all down their throat, and grin as you watch them choke. It’s not just winner takes all - it’s winner take all, and do all you can to make the loser suffer.

So, let’s win...and then play the game of Calvinball they insisted we all play.

This times a million. If I’m a democratic congressman or congresswoman or Biden the days of even taking a republicans phone call are over with. No lunches, no meetings, no nothing. Just completely ignore them and let them talk with the low level assistant about whatever they want to say. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

This times a million. If I’m a democratic congressman or congresswoman or Biden the days of even taking a republicans phone call are over with. No lunches, no meetings, no nothing. Just completely ignore them and let them talk with the low level assistant about whatever they want to say. 

Fuck that. Every low level assistant should have orders to tell Republicans to go fuck themselves.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Hillary got plenty of people out to vote for Trump, who would have otherwise stayed home.  So bitching that they got off their couches and voted, when they didn't in the past,  is kind of counter-productive.

The bigger point is that Trump won states that Obama had won, which means those states could easily flip back to to the Ds (and some of them arguably did in 2018), and with this RBG business, I think he's putting those states even more into play.

Fuck that. Every low level assistant should have orders to tell Republicans to go fuck themselves.

Nope. There should be numerous special meetings. Invite all the senior republican leaders. Have them sit around the table, waiting for the meeting with dem leadership. Then, after they’ve been kept waiting, send in the lowliest intern around - Dave, from Dicksplit, Indiana. And have him say “I have a message for you from the president, and all of the democratic leadership. Go fuck yourselves. Now get out of the people’s house.”

Then, when they complain to the media, lie - say that you did nothing of the sort. You tired to have a meeting, but the republicans insisted that their compromise demand was the deportation of anyone whose grandparents weren’t natural born citizens.

Hoist them on their own petard, every. Fucking. Day.
  • Hook 'Em 3