Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead

Michael Knight

16 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

I don’t follow closely but is Fozzz just having a bad week or are the post always inflammatory?  If it’s just a bad week I may so what I can to save him.

His posts are consistently stupid but for some reason on Friday he decided he was done here and kept posting accordingly. He probably would have survived if he had just stopped posting, but survival was apparently not his goal this time. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 1

Neg-bombing him doesn't make him wrong.

And he is, 100%.

Obsession with representationalism in corporate boardrooms is so powerfully tone deaf it tempts me to root for the death spiral of the nation. I'm not that kind of guy, because I hope for a more perfect union where the poor and oppressed are lifted up and I believe that will happen, I believe MLK that the arc of history is long but bends towards justice... but patience wears thin at times.

This is not necessarily the best venue to be aggressive about it towards other posters, of course, but he's not wrong, he's just an asshole. Which is supposedly the Surly way.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

I think people need to understand that the biggest difference between Biden and Obama is that Obama had so much hubris he always thought he could maneuver and compromise. Biden does not give a fuck and will absolutely fight.

Just look at him blowing up on that clown in the auto factory back in primary season. Obama never would have done that but Joe is a scrappy blue collar motherfucker, he is closer to an LBJ type than an Obama type.

Obama’s problem wasn’t hubris.

He had the “burden” of daring to be a black man with power so he tended to pull his punches and be overly conciliatory and decent because he felt the weight of being “the black one”. He was fighting with tied hands and he seemed to feel if he was too tough or went too far out of the “norm” it would make the road tougher for any black person that followed him.

He had too much faith in the American people - it didn’t occur to him that just being black was enough for 40% of this country to lose their minds. It didn’t matter how decent he was or how much he followed the rules.

He didn’t have the luxury of “being tough” or “not giving a shit” like an old white dude like Joe.

If he had blown up at a factory worker can you imagine the narrative that would have erupted from Fox News and Limbaugh????

Dude couldn’t even wear a tan suit or eat spicy mustard without multiple stories about “Does Obama have the class/temperament/class to lead America”.

Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham would have called him a thug and a Crip FFS.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Neg-bombing him doesn't make him wrong.

And he is, 100%.

Obsession with representationalism in corporate boardrooms is so powerfully tone deaf it tempts me to root for the death spiral of the nation. I'm not that kind of guy, because I hope for a more perfect union where the poor and oppressed are lifted up and I believe that will happen, I believe MLK that the arc of history is long but bends towards justice... but patience wears thin at times.

This is not necessarily the best venue to be aggressive about it towards other posters, of course, but he's not wrong, he's just an asshole. Which is supposedly the Surly way.

And another person that absolutely does not fucking get it.  51% of the US population is female.  Only 23.2% of the HoR is female.  26% of the Senate.  Of C Suite executives, only 25% are women in the 1,000 largest corporations in the nation.  That is gross underrepresentation.

Don't you think with larger numbers of women in positions of power, policies like equal pay across the genders (which helps everyone) as well as policies like liberal FMLA leave would be more achievable?  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Don't you think with larger numbers of women in positions of power, policies like equal pay across the genders (which helps everyone) as well as policies like liberal FMLA leave would be more achievable?

This is an argument that's different than the one Fozzz and I were responding to. Understandable, of course, but a different argument.

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Obama’s problem wasn’t hubris.

He had the “burden” of daring to be a black man with power so he tended to pull his punches and be overly conciliatory and decent because he felt the weight of being “the black one”. He was fighting with tied hands and he seemed to feel if he was too tough or went too far out of the “norm” it would make the road tougher for any black person that followed him.

He had too much faith in the American people - it didn’t occur to him that just being black was enough for 40% of this country to lose their minds. It didn’t matter how decent he was or how much he followed the rules.

He didn’t have the luxury of “being tough” or “not giving a shit” like an old white dude like Joe.

If he had blown up at a factory worker can you imagine the narrative that would have erupted from Fox News and Limbaugh????

Dude couldn’t even wear a tan suit or eat spicy mustard without multiple stories about “Does Obama have the class/temperament/class to lead America”.

Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham would have called him a thug and a Crip FFS.

Look, I don't dislike Obama at all, but calling it hubris is putting it mildly.

40 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This is an argument that's different than the one Fozzz and I were responding to. Understandable, of course, but a different argument.

What I said was:

We still have more to go on equal pay and equal representation in the boardrooms and halls of power, and I hope we can continue with the same spirit and decorum that RBG exhibited during her life.

Boardroom doesn't just mean the corporate board of directors but as a C-level executives.  Further, halls of power implies all levels of govt, federal, state, and local.  All that implies that with more representation in those areas, women will be truly equal.  Fozzz, as usual, was an idiot.  And you defended him, without actually reading what I said.  

I cannot tell you how many times I've been held to different standards than my male colleagues or been treated differently because i was a woman.  It is bullshit.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, G650 said:

Look, I don't dislike Obama at all, but calling it hubris is putting it mildly.

Not sure hubris is the right word for someone who "thinks they can maneuver and compromise."  Especially when contrasting with someone who has a fit of pique at someone.

Maybe naivete tinged with arrogance?

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I’m not an expert on the legal history.  Curious to hear CR rebuttals here. 

Is it really a stretch for your feeble partisan brain to see the arguments in favor of stonewalling Garland 4 years ago and wonder why they are being reversed?  We don't need to go back in time beyond 2016.  It's irrelevant.  Don't make a case in absolute terms and then bitch that things have either changed or history now matters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It’s so annoying that the term “Borked” exists. The racist shitheel goblin who carried out Nixon’s massacre had no business being a fucking JP judge, much less a SCOTUS justice and he was far from the first judicial nominee the Senate ever said no to.

This. He got his vote and he lost. Fuck him.

Republicans like doing the exact same thing, just on different projects, usually those that include funneling money back to individuals and corporations who already have gobs of it at the expense of literally everyone else.
But you know that already.
Do general electric and solar panel jobs in the bay area next from the Obama administration

The 2020 version of the 1930s Nazi party you so proudly support. 
The party of nazi that mslsd told you to call it. But you are fine with the racist joe biden. You see his recent snapshots in the last few months over 7-11 owners and dunkin donut owners, and you are fine, FINE with that because that's your guy.
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Counterpoint:  That 40% of the country couldn't keep him from handily beating a Vietnam war hero, nor could that 40% keep him from being reelected.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

It’s so annoying that the term “Borked” exists. The racist shitheel goblin who carried out Nixon’s massacre had no business being a fucking JP judge, much less a SCOTUS justice and he was far from the first judicial nominee the Senate ever said no to.

Bork as a verb is just a term for a divisive and raucous confirmation hearing.  I didn't use it to imply that anything was particularly wrong with it, as applied to Bork or Thomas.

17 minutes ago, markstanco said:
On 9/19/2020 at 12:24 PM, JimmyJames said:
The 2020 version of the 1930s Nazi party you so proudly support. 

The party of nazi that mslsd told you to call it. But you are fine with the racist joe biden. You see his recent snapshots in the last few months over 7-11 owners and dunkin donut owners, and you are fine, FINE with that because that's your guy.

You're full on, three-sheets, in the gutter blotto shit-hammered, aren't you?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Not sure anything can stop the Republicans at this point, but nominating a member of the WH counsel sure seems like they’d be playing with fire.

Picture in the federalist society (but of course) makes her look like an extra from Star Trek.  

https://fedsoc.org/contributors/kate-todd

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

What I said was:

We still have more to go on equal pay and equal representation in the boardrooms and halls of power, and I hope we can continue with the same spirit and decorum that RBG exhibited during her life.

Boardroom doesn't just mean the corporate board of directors but as a C-level executives.  Further, halls of power implies all levels of govt, federal, state, and local.  All that implies that with more representation in those areas, women will be truly equal.  Fozzz, as usual, was an idiot.  And you defended him, without actually reading what I said.  

I cannot tell you how many times I've been held to different standards than my male colleagues or been treated differently because i was a woman.  It is bullshit.

I wish that I had the option of giving you .72% rep.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Picture in the federalist society (but of course) makes her look like an extra from Star Trek.  

https://fedsoc.org/contributors/kate-todd

Wait, she's not a Star Trek cosplayer?  I'll pass.

I thought it was the Canadian actress and was wondering how they'd pull that off.

spacer.png

Edited by atomheartbevo

I really and truly think Trump thinks “Hey! We’ll just replace one vagina with another vagina! The bitches will like that, right??? That way they won’t have reason to complain!”.

He thinks women are just as dumb, shallow, and transactional as he is.

Give that pathetic pandering strategy a whirl, Dotard.

All vaginas are not equal.

• Hook 'Em 5

I really and truly think Trump thinks “Hey! We’ll just replace one vagina with another vagina! The bitches will like that, right??? That way they won’t have reason to complain!”.

He thinks women are just as dumb, shallow, and transactional as he is.

Give that pathetic pandering strategy a whirl, Dotard.

All vaginas are not equal.

OH COME ON....YOU CAN’T JUST PUT THAT ON A TEE AROUND HERE.
  • Haha 1

Honestly, it’s a Pearl Harbor strategy:  if you can catch the carriers at port, you can see a path to victory.  But if you don’t,  the demographics of the changing nation could result in a wipe out of your party. 

That’s just it - even if the carriers were at port they would not have won. There would just have been a longer bloodier war on the way to inevitable victory. Just like highly trained Japanese bomber and torpedo pilots were irreplaceable, so are old racist white men who vote in high numbers.
  • Like 1