Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead

Michael Knight

12 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

And I'm going to spend the weekend convincing the Kansas lottery office that I really intended to pick the winning numbers last night, but just didn't get to the store to buy the ticket. 

Coons, a close confidant of Biden, is going to be problematic during the Biden administration. This is the third or fourth comments I've read from him over the last year referencing "reaching across the aisle". He's also expressed hesitancy about getting rid of the filibuster. 

24 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Coons, a close confidant of Biden, is going to be problematic during the Biden administration. This is the third or fourth comments I've read from him over the last year referencing "reaching across the aisle". He's also expressed hesitancy about getting rid of the filibuster. 

reaching across the aisle is good. once they slap his hand away and spit in his face, maybe he’ll learn his fucking lesson. better sooner than later. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, markstanco said:
On 9/19/2020 at 10:40 PM, David Dennison said:
Republicans like doing the exact same thing, just on different projects, usually those that include funneling money back to individuals and corporations who already have gobs of it at the expense of literally everyone else.
But you know that already.

Do general electric and solar panel jobs in the bay area next from the Obama administration

I’m curious the citations here 

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

So what is stopping the current Senate from expanding the court right now?  Sure, there would me a massive outcry, but what would stop them?

The bicameral legislature?

The Ds need to raise the stakes by passing the FYMA in the House.  Have it teed up.

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

reaching across the aisle is good. once they slap his hand away and spit in his face, maybe he’ll learn his fucking lesson. better sooner than later. 

maxresdefault.jpg

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So what is stopping the current Senate from expanding the court right now?  Sure, there would me a massive outcry, but what would stop them?

Nothing would stop them. It's just a slow, steady game of brinksmanship. If the Dems expand the court, the GOP will do the same later.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

They should, but if the GOP agrees to let Biden full RBG’s seat there’s absolutely no way in hell they would.

I think that they eventually add seats no matter what. This court packing discussion didn't start with RBG's passing.  Filling her spot just extinguishes any opposition on the dem side. 

16 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Nothing would stop them. It's just a slow, steady game of brinksmanship. If the Dems expand the court, the GOP will do the same later.

This is the fear.  But it seems relatively clear that the court can be expanded only by a single party House, Senate, and President.  Because a) it will be controversial and b) you don't want to even try it unless you can fill the new vacancies immediately.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This is the fear.  But it seems relatively clear that the court can be expanded only by a single party House, Senate, and President.  Because a) it will be controversial and b) you don't want to even try it unless you can fill the new vacancies immediately.

Justice Hillary Rodham Clinton can be sworn in by Easter.

Ben Sasse seems like he's in perfect position to oppose.  He's a joke, of course, but this is the sort of thing he could be a scold on, and recall that Trump was bashing him last month so he's in no mood to do Trump a favor.  So then you'd have Murkowski and Collins.  Add Romney and its over.

5 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Ben Sasse seems like he's in perfect position to oppose.  He's a joke, of course, but this is the sort of thing he could be a scold on, and recall that Trump was bashing him last month so he's in no mood to do Trump a favor.  So then you'd have Murkowski and Collins.  Add Romney and its over.

We’re more likely to see Lindsey Graham oppose Trump’s nominee.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

If they nominated Kate Todd or Rushing they are running the Harriett Miers play.

Ah, that's the strategy.  Nominate someone nice but wholly unqualified, giving the Republican Senators an out to voting against them.  The vote happens, fails, blames Democrats, and Trump campaigns on filling the seat.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Sasse will fall in line like a bitch. The likeliest 4 are Murkowski, McCaskill, Collins and Romney. It’d be great to see any one of them openly campaign against the vote but that would require a fucking backbone. 

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Ah, that's the strategy.  Nominate someone nice but wholly unqualified, giving the Republican Senators an out to voting against them.  The vote happens, fails, blames Democrats, and Trump campaigns on filling the seat.

I don't think if there is a vote it will fail.  The senators are too smart to rely on Trump's longshot reelection here.  It's either a fairness thing (a la Murkowski/Collins) or the nominee breezes through.

39 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Exactly, it drags out the process and gives them a way to cast the Democrats as sexist and opposed to religious freedom, bringing Republican women back in, and gives vulnerable Republican Senators a way to preserve their hide. 

45 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Sasse will fall in line like a bitch. The likeliest 4 are Murkowski, McCaskill, Collins and Romney. It’d be great to see any one of them openly campaign against the vote but that would require a fucking backbone. 

McCaskill isn't in the Senate anymore. 

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

What's the point of this? What are you trying to accomplish here?

It was merely an observation that I saw a lot of "Project Lincoln sure is quiet!!!!" from a certain demographic of Twitter user over the weekend, and I am pleasantly surprised with what has come since.  I suppose I could have described "vocal leftists" differently, but I genuinely didn't intend for it to be a combative post.  

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I just can’t fathom any way Trump won’t try to campaign on filling the seat.   It’s the perfect conman opportunity to fire up his base.  “If you re-elect me, we can end Roe v. Wade!  Your vote has never been more important!”

Will it make sense?  Of course not.   But none of his voters ask why Mexico hasn’t paid for a wall, why Obamacare hasn’t been repealed and replaced, etc., and none will ask why he needs a second term to fill a Court seat he could fill now.  

The Senate would rather have an out to punt it until after the election, too.  I still maintain that all the GOP Senators except maybe Romney will cave whenever Trump and Mitch tell them they’re serious and want a nominee confirmed, but it makes too much sense for Trump and Mitch to try to string this out for re-election purposes.  “Yeah, yeah, two weeks from now we will have that ready.  But we must have your vote to keep the Dems from stopping it!”

The Harriett Myers strategy gives them both. They make a nomination now, they use it to bring Republican women in and blunts turnout among otherwise liberal pro-life midwestern catholics. Then after the election the nominee is sacrificed and gets replaced with somebody like McConnell favorite Amul Thapar, who is confirmed in the lame duck session by the intact Republican majority. 

I'm not predicting this, but it would work and gives them everything they want, even if Trump loses. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The Harriett Myers strategy gives them both. They make a nomination now, they use it to bring Republican women in and blunts turnout among otherwise liberal pro-life midwestern catholics. Then after the election the nominee is sacrificed and gets replaced with somebody like McConnell favorite Amul Thapar, who is confirmed in the lame duck session by the intact Republican majority. 

I'm not predicting this, but it would work and gives them everything they want, even if Trump loses. 

It makes a lot of sense, but I can't see Trump agreeing to that strategy because it requires taking a loss to obtain a win. Plus it's not like he gives a shit who McConnell would prefer, he cares who will protect him from subpoenas.  

21 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

And I'm going to spend the weekend convincing the Kansas lottery office that I really intended to pick the winning numbers last night, but just didn't get to the store to buy the ticket. 

Democrats should just move on. They have nothing they can do but make this worse with whatever stupid approach they select. Fonda on Maher saying fight this and grow some balls. Fight what? The Republicans have the votes, they will play it however they want and the more you come up with stupid shit like defund  the police the better chance you have of losing again. Hypocrisy as an argument? Give me a break we have seen it done on both sides. The only difference is that Democrats do it by trying to explain why they have changed their minds while the Republicans do it with a flick of the middle finger.

• Hook 'Em 1