Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead

Michael Knight

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yes, they basically hit on Scalia, Thomas, Alito, and probably Kavanaugh in terms of being completely reliable in the way GOP voters want them to be completely reliable.  It’s not a great track record for the Federalist Society and social warriors at all.

I don't know what to think about Thomas, but I am pretty sure his confirmation hearings broke him.  He's been a raving, liberal hating loon ever since.

3 hours ago, TexArcher said:

The Democrats aren't changing their minds.  They're saying y'all can't have it both ways.

This times a god damn billion.  The Democrats said it should be one way, the Republicans said no, and moved forward with how they wanted it.  They can't (shouldn't) be in the same situation and say, ok cool, we'll do it the way you wanted last time.  I feel like I'm taking fucking crazy pills.  But if they do this - my main problem isn't them doing this...my main problem is the Democrats will forget any of it happened when they finally have power.  If they packed the shit out of the courts and do what they need to, I would be ok with it.  Instead the Democrats, when they finally win, will go into kumbaya mode, and tell us how they averted disaster but everything is fine now.  No it fucking isnt. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

I don't know what to think about Thomas, but I am pretty sure his confirmation hearings broke him.  He's been a raving, liberal hating loon ever since.

I think he was before then too. He had trouble finding work at any major firms coming out of law school and blamed it on affirmative action rather than racism (or the fact that he was an asshole).

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This times a god damn billion.  The Democrats said it should be one way, the Republicans said no, and moved forward with how they wanted it.  They can't (shouldn't) be in the same situation and say, ok cool, we'll do it the way you wanted last time.  I feel like I'm taking fucking crazy pills.  But if they do this - my main problem isn't them doing this...my main problem is the Democrats will forget any of it happened when they finally have power.  If they packed the shit out of the courts and do what they need to, I would be ok with it.  Instead the Democrats, when they finally win, will go into kumbaya mode, and tell us how they averted disaster but everything is fine now.  No it fucking isnt. 

This is my concern, but it seems like some centrist Dems are really coming around to treating this like what it is. They’re sounding a lot different today than they did in 2008.

27 minutes ago, softlynow said:

So cataclysmic on the day 200k covid deaths is reached the NYT cover is about politics as usual. So cataclysmic that, while Biden led Trump in national polls by about 8 in February, he now leads by . . . about 8.

If you're looking for a fourth turning type event, a reset of the political spectrum, the end of the sixth political party system and the rise of the seventh, this ain't it. If you're predicting one, though, après Trump le deluge.

In fact, I think we should be quite concerned about what comes next. The deplorables are not going away. When Reagan invited evangelicals into the GOP, he created a new tranche of his base. Their side won some elections and lost some elections, but have yet to disappear as they did between the Scopes Monkey trial and 1980. Trump has done the same with completely moronic pieces of shit. They are an activated political force, and losing this election doesn't end that. And they're not just old people about to die. The next GOP candidate will not alienate the morons. Liberal tears will be a campaign promise for many more election cycles.

Imagine the power of a GOP that has the deplorables not only excited to continue their nihilistic push for . . . whatever, but rallied around a Nikki Haley who wouldn't be a non-starter with independents and suburban women. Trumpism without Trump has the potential to coalesce quite the lasting coalition.

I agree to an extent.  However, Nikki Haley, like so many others, does nothing at all lately except carry Trump's water.  There aren't too many politicians that are able or willing to pick up the full Trump hate platform.  They ride on it when Trump is running it, sure, but outside of Miller and the head of the neo-nazis, nobody else even wants to run the full Trump platform. 

And when Trump is gone, someone else will take over the GOP and swing it slightly in their direction.  Haley would try to passify the deplorables, but she wouldn't implement most of their platform.  Some of this shit even made Jeff Sessions pause.  Think about that for a second.  If racist Jeff Sessions is pausing, however briefly, because racist tactics are going too far, then they are going to be hard pressed to find a Trump 2.0.

Nobody else can combine showmanship with a platform of pure hatred, while also being narcissistic enough to focus on the grifting aspect while not giving a shit about running a platform of hatred.  The true believers aren't showman and aren't likable even to the hardcore Trumpers. 

• Like 1

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

I agree to an extent.  However, Nikki Haley, like so many others, does nothing at all lately except carry Trump's water.  There aren't too many politicians that are able or willing to pick up the full Trump hate platform.  They ride on it when Trump is running it, sure, but outside of Miller and the head of the neo-nazis, nobody else even wants to run the full Trump platform. 

And when Trump is gone, someone else will take over the GOP and swing it slightly in their direction.  Haley would try to passify the deplorables, but she wouldn't implement most of their platform.  Some of this shit even made Jeff Sessions pause.  Think about that for a second.  If racist Jeff Sessions is pausing, however briefly, because racist tactics are going too far, then they are going to be hard pressed to find a Trump 2.0.

Nobody else can combine showmanship with a platform of pure hatred, while also being narcissistic enough to focus on the grifting aspect while not giving a shit about running a platform of hatred.  The true believers aren't showman and aren't likable even to the hardcore Trumpers. 

Haley - Ivanka 2024.

The deplorables don't have a platform, and don't need pacification they need the hate spice to flow.

The showmanship got him here, but post-TIA/stroke/whatever he's not a showman any more. He's the crazy fucker at the end of the bar people used to find engaging but now drop by for a story and quickly wander away once their nostalgic needs are met. The cult is formed, and will be sated with mere allusions to the man and what he meant to the cult in 2016.

• Like 1

I am convinced that the deplorables want an imposter -- a no-talent assclown that makes it to the highest office in the land validates them, and kindles their narcissistic hope that they can rise in the world in spite of their ignorant stupidity.

So, Ivanka on the ticket in 2024 sounds like a good bet.

29 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I *think* this is right. The reason these shovel-faced bum fucks are so cultish about Trump is because he says the quiet part out loud like they've always wanted. Haley, Hawley and their ilk might be just as dangerous if not more from a policy perspective, but I don't think they will attract the same kind of die hard coalition.  

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

my mom, who is an 80 year old woman who knows zero about anything national or political, told me how terrible it is what the democrats did to kavanaugh.   somehow that message worked with some folks.

all the messages, designed for the right people, work on all the right people, all the time. ergo the message isn't what's important here dude. we're talking about drawing a line in the sand dude, beyond this line you do not...

also, dude, China virus is not the preferred nomenclature. COVID-19 please. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, softlynow said:

Add to that the fact that the structural economic problems that are leaving more people behind while enriching a few to fantastical levels, and I don't see this election and year as cataclysm but as prelude.

what about Cataclysm to a Prelude (in G)?

FAA7740A23BEBD52BF8C148E7FF6A88C03DF3160

Well, the generation of free love and Woodstock turned into the most selfish fuck you I got mine generation in American history. So it's possible.

They didn’t change-

Woodstock and free love are absolute perfect examples of selfish, fuck you I got mine behavior.

That stuff just seemed cooler but the boomers have always been selfish spoiled brats.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

They didn’t change-

Woodstock and free love are absolute perfect examples of selfish, fuck you I got mine behavior.

That stuff just seemed cooler but the boomers have always been selfish spoiled brats.

nah. for every free spirit hippie, there were three okies from muskogee. nixon did actually have a silent majority. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

They didn’t change-

Yep.  This is why certain aspects of a "culture war," those at least facially directed to re-establishing community thinking somewhere other than the government, had some initial appeal.

The boomers made some noise about some forward-thinking issues, but did nothing with them after the drugs and sex ran out.  

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

nah. for every free spirit hippie, there were three okies from muskogee. nixon did actually have a silent majority. 

This is probably also true.  But hippies for the most part were completely self-indulgent and therefore ineffective with any progressive notions they may have held.  They took the selfish, indulgent aspects of things and ran with them.

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That shit doesn’t leave you.  You can bet your ass even if he had good intentions going in, that process sealed him as a loon for life.  

6 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I keep an am radio on in the garage just to hear what talking points Rush is delivering.  And lately... holy shit.  

Joe Biden’s supporters are systematically murdering the entire police force, and Black Lives Matter are coming to kill the white people.  

Only Trump can save us.  

(It’s not even coded)

Dude. I’ve been hearing this from my fairly well off uncle in the woodlands. But he’s like a legit white supremacist. One night in like 2015 he came over for Christmas. Everyone went to bed and I was watching the daily show. They were talking about shit in the Middle East and my uncle just goes “you know what we outta do? Bomb em back to the Stone Age! They’re just fuckin animals!!” That was after he said “I can’t stand fucking N-words(and he landed the ‘r’). I don’t want em around me, my wife, my kids, their friends, my neighborhood!” And yeah you get the point. And I’ve posted what my trumptard friends have been saying on here. Yep. The people preaching peace and equality and shit like that are the violent ones. Our public education system has failed us in every way possible

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Dude. I’ve been hearing this from my fairly well off uncle in the woodlands. But he’s like a legit white supremacist. One night in like 2015 he came over for Christmas. Everyone went to bed and I was watching the daily show. They were talking about shit in the Middle East and my uncle just goes “you know what we outta do? Bomb em back to the Stone Age! They’re just fuckin animals!!” That was after he said “I can’t stand fucking N-words(and he landed the ‘r’). I don’t want em around me, my wife, my kids, their friends, my neighborhood!” And yeah you get the point. And I’ve posted what my trumptard friends have been saying on here. Yep. The people preaching peace and equality and shit like that are the violent ones. Our public education system has failed us in every way possible

Got damn Fletch.  You may actually have to fake your own death to get away from your family/friends!

• Haha 1

All my good friends are on the East and west coasts. Got a couple left in Austin but they live far as fuck north. Luckily they both work from home so I can go play baseball and have an actual conversation with people with common sense. I’m done with these fuckers once they pay up when Biden wins 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Nsiap 

And I'm going back to hockey 

I’m so fucking sick of seeing Dems go “yeah let’s add two seats to the court!” How are we going to save our democracy when the party can’t even count how many it would take to give us a majority on the Court? We need 13 seats to even restore us to where we should be, 15 to punish the GOP in any way for their stealing an election and constant attempts at dismantling democracy. So we should expand the Court to 19 or even 21, because fuck them. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

I’m so fucking sick of seeing Dems go “yeah let’s add two seats to the court!” How are we going to save our democracy when the party can’t even count how many it would take to give us a majority on the Court? We need 13 seats to even restore us to where we should be, 15 to punish the GOP in any way for their stealing an election and constant attempts at dismantling democracy. So we should expand the Court to 19 or even 21, because fuck them. 

no one ever became a lawyer because they were good at math

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Well, I didn't look at it that way in my proposed FYMA.  I was taking a minimalist approach and it seemed like two justices for Dem appointment, one for Garland and one for this one, would be fair.  I failed to take into account the balance overall.

At some point, the size of the Court would become unwieldy.  And, to some extent, having to find a majority of 6, 7, or 8 would become increasingly difficult, which would probably lead to slower change by the Court, and also less clarity in their decisions, both of which factors serve conservative-types (in the broadest sense -- less susceptible to change).

There is, of course, an argument that a conservative Court (again broad sense, not partisan) is better because it is the least democratic institution.  To some extent, that is taken care of by the nature of the judicial review process (slow), and the temperament of judges/justices, without regard to politics.

Here’s the play, assuming the GOP ram someone through:

Increase court size by 2 to 11

Breyer retires and is replaced by Dems with someone super young

Law passed to reduce court size back to 9 upon death/retirement of next 2 justices (which would be Thomas and Alito)

Sure, if the GOP gets full control again they could pack the court or undo the reduction. But that’s a risk regardless.  This way Dems get a split court and likely future majority without expanding the court beyond reason, and can argue they’re just setting the precedent for how shenanigans like what’s happened with Garland and RBG should be handled.

• Like 1

Well furk.  Guess we better relax and enjoy it.

I hope he goes for Lagoa.  She seems to me to have the highest likelihood of being a "switcher."  Plus, she's arguably unqualified.  Good judicial experience, very limited in constitutional/policy positions.

Her judicial experience qualifies her in my mind and is different.  But she may not have the "track record" that makes her a prime appointment (no white supremacist law review articles).

Edited by TwiceHorn

13 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Here’s the play, assuming the GOP ram someone through:

Increase court size by 2 to 11

Breyer retires and is replaced by Dems with someone super young

Law passed to reduce court size back to 9 upon death/retirement of next 2 justices (which would be Thomas and Alito)

Sure, if the GOP gets full control again they could pack the court or undo the reduction. But that’s a risk regardless.  This way Dems get a split court and likely future majority without expanding the court beyond reason, and can argue they’re just setting the precedent for how shenanigans like what’s happened with Garland and RBG should be handled.

They need to increase the size by 4 to 13.  If they only increase by 2, there will still be 6 GOP picks and 5 Dem appointments.  With 4, it's 6 GOP and 7 Dem.  After the shit the GOP pulled on this they must not have a majority of nominees to the Court.

And trump just tweeted he'll be announcing the nominee on Saturday.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, lemonlime said:

They need to increase the size by 4 to 13.  If they only increase by 2, there will still be 6 GOP picks and 5 Dem appointments.  With 4, it's 6 GOP and 7 Dem.  After the shit the GOP pulled on this they must not have a majority of nominees to the Court.

And trump just tweeted he'll be announcing the nominee on Saturday.  

I trust Roberts as the deciding vote, and I don’t expect Clarence Thomas to live more than 8 more years.