Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead

Michael Knight

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Counterpoint: this is the first time I've seen it as a uniting issue for Democrats.  The money they have raised over the past few days is almost unbelievable.  There's not a single Republican voter in the country who cares enough about the Supreme Court that it would affect their vote that wasn't already planning to vote Trump.

You have lots of low info voters who will totally jump on an "its about law and order and the courts" bandwagon.  The NYT podcast today interviewed some undecided types today and it was scary.  And the ones who actually could speak were referring to their even lower information relatives....

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
3 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:
We need to unfuck gerrymanderied districts and close the door on them the way California did. We also need to solve the issue of voter suppression. There is so much work to do to fix our republic. 

We need more HoR members. It is billshit that it is capped at 435. A rep cannot reasonably represent a district with 1m constituents. That leaves people in the dust. I'd like to see each rep have about 100k constituents max.

Agree. I'd also take measures to end the nationalization of both the House and the Senate.  All campaign donations and volunteers must come from the district. Politicians from outside the district are banned from offering opinions on races where they are not a qualified voter. PACs banned altogether. 

And we should ban parties altogether at every level.  If you can't draft your own platform based on your own ideals, you have no business representing anyone. 

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Counterpoint: this is the first time I've seen it as a uniting issue for Democrats.  The money they have raised over the past few days is almost unbelievable.  There's not a single Republican voter in the country who cares enough about the Supreme Court that it would affect their vote that wasn't already planning to vote Trump.

The rest of your post harps on potential hypotheticals that might affect a small percentage of voters in specific states, while conveniently ignoring that your party is ramming through something that polling indicates is incredibly unpopular throughout the country.  

None of this changes the math nor will it stop 6-3 from happening, but the electoral effects of this will not favor the red in 2020. 

I'm a little scared of it.  Get some pro life Catholic nominee and tie the vote to it somehow.  Catholics don't love Trump to the degree other Christians do, but I bet you see quite a bump in those numbers if they can associate the presidential vote with SCOTUS.

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

You have lots of low info voters who will totally jump on an "its about law and order and the courts" bandwagon.  The NYT podcast today interviewed some undecided types today and it was scary.  And the ones who actually could speak were referring to their even lower information relatives....

I just have an incredibly hard time believing that there is an electorally significant portion of the population that were undecided/weren't planning to vote that are somehow swayed because the Republicans appointed a new justice before the election.  And if they exist, I have an even harder time being convinced that these people weren't going to come around to Trump regardless.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

It is extremely funny to me that Rex Kramer/Dr. Beeper negged this. Of all the things I've said in this thread, this is what triggers ire?

Rex has been on quite the neg spree today.  Looks like he wandered into the Cloak Room, got his ass kicked and threw a fit.

Poor little snowflake.

• Hook 'Em 3

Haven’t followed this thread at all, but you will all be surprised to find that my right wing fb friends are busy posting Democrat senator quotes (shumer is popular)from 4 years ago about how we have to nominate and approve a justice before the election/inauguration, and my left wing friends are posting republican quotes (Mitch, Lindsay, Cruz) about how we have to wait. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

I guess it's good to know a Democrat isn't winning in 2028.

A Dem will certainly win the popular vote, but of course that doesn’t really matter.

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

Surprised Dems aren't using allegations of unwanted hysterectomies on immigrants as a way to get around the Pro Life issue with voters.  No way the pro lifers on the religious side would support illegal reproductive procedures based on religious and ethical issues.    Right?  

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/21/unwanted-hysterectomy-allegations-ice-georgia-immigration

Well, you see it all changed cause of Kavanough!

6 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

The right wing media should be the least of our concerns. All we need to do is actually respond to them. Call them liars and traitors and explain how they’re liars and traitors, because it’s the fucking truth and easy to sell. There’s more of us than them. Their positions beyond racism are not remotely popular. It’s time to stop being pussies and start playing to our strengths. 

It is true. We have the numbers. They've gerrymandered things so that we can't get the representation that we want and  have rigged the system so that it is minority rule. It is time to fix everything for the sake of the republic. It can't operate so dysfunctionally any longer. We haven't as a country had our income increased for over 20 years. The disparity between the haves and have nots is more disproportional than anytime in history. Our infrastructure was not built with the climate changes that have occurred and is becoming more dangerous with each passing year we do nothing. We have deregulated our industries and allowed so much self-policing that a disaster in numerous industries is a matter of when not if. 

We have to raise the wealth and security of every US citizen if we want to be the people that we THINK we are and not the rotten selfish stinking assholes that we have allowed ourselves to become. This is the best system of government to have for security and peace but we must not neglect our country as we have or we will fall to authoritarianism and tyranny.

All of us have to count on each other to have each other's back and push back on the group that we've allowed to erode our republic. Fuck us for fucking ourselves but now we have to do work. Give to the Get Mitch out PAC that helps dems in close senate races. Volunteer yourself to help elect a Dem senator by working on their campaign calling people to vote for them. Before we head into the streets with pitchforks and torches, let's use the tools of our democracy and our vast numbers to get our way and end the rule of the minority once and for all.  WHO IS WITH ME!!!

John Belushi Lets GIF by swerk 

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

I guess it's good to know a Democrat isn't winning in 2028.

workswithseed, my young friend, you are so naive. You are so so naive. You know about a few things. You know about comedy, a little bit about relationships, some baseball, but you are so far out of your element here, you are embarrassing yourself.

• Hook 'Em 1

Agree. I'd also take measures to end the nationalization of both the House and the Senate.  All campaign donations and volunteers must come from the district. Politicians from outside the district are banned from offering opinions on races where they are not a qualified voter. PACs banned altogether. 
And we should ban parties altogether at every level.  If you can't draft your own platform based on your own ideals, you have no business representing anyone. 
I would be in support of that.

43 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Haven’t followed this thread at all, but you will all be surprised to find that my right wing fb friends are busy posting Democrat senator quotes (shumer is popular)from 4 years ago about how we have to nominate and approve a justice before the election/inauguration, and my left wing friends are posting republican quotes (Mitch, Lindsay, Cruz) about how we have to wait. 

I don’t get worked up on the hypocrisy of these things. Longtime politicians will always have quotes on both sides of process questions.

It’s ultimately what you’re capable of accomplishing. If there was a Democratic Senate in 2016 Merrick Garland is on the Court. If there was a Democratic Senate today, Trump wouldn’t be able to get a judge through.  It’s pretty simple actually. Republicans have run on this in every election and been rewarded for it. 

There may actually be some lukewarm Project Lincoln types that come back for this reason. “Let’s make sure Biden is elected and Dems get the Senate so they can pack the Court and add two states because they’re mad that Republicans exercised their earned power!” is a line of thinking that may cause some pause. We’ll see how it plays out. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

I am absolutely fucking begging you to give up this fiction because it will quite literally get a ton of us killed.  Neil Gorsuch will be the swing vote. The fucking swing vote on the Court will think that the entire administrative state is unconstitutional. The old SCOTUS already struck down the Voting Rights Act based as unconstitutional without ever stating what part of the Constitution it violated. There isn't a single Republican on the Court now that thinks Congress should have the power to do anything about climate change. They're already preparing to throw out the ACA based on a legal argument that every single conservative and libertarian legal commentator of any renown considered frivolous when first made. They don't care what the Constitution says. They don't care what statutes say. They don't care what the people want. They have their view of what the law should be and will make it so.

The only institution which has declared that the Supreme Court has the power to strike down a law as unconstitutional is the Supreme Court itself. That power is not granted in the constitution. The Supreme Court gave it to itself. 

It isn’t an extreme position for both Congress and the Executive branch to tell the court to go fuck itself if it went that far out of line.  If the Supreme Court wants to render that power worthless they can by being ridiculous assholes. 

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

It’s ultimately what you’re capable of accomplishing. If there was a Democratic Senate in 2016 Merrick Garland is on the Court. If there was a Democratic Senate today, Trump wouldn’t be able to get a judge through.  

Complete, unmitigated USDA Grade A Jumbo horseshit.  Dems have approved Repub nominees many many times.  Try harder.

It is extremely funny to me that Rex Kramer/Dr. Beeper negged this. Of all the things I've said in this thread, this is what triggers ire?

Wait - a DT safe spacer is too afraid to post here and be forced to defend his shitass opinions yet he’s negging posts???

Hey Beeper person - you’re a giant pussy dripping with coward juice.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Complete, unmitigated USDA Grade A Jumbo horseshit.  Dems have approved Repub nominees many many times.  Try harder.

And vice versa. Many times.

But, have the Ds ever preemptively threatened to not confirm someone? Maybe over a year out from election? 

Survey says, yes. 

20-B7643-F-E0-AC-4-BD8-86-C5-41-B6-E46-C

And guess what, he was allowed to do it because he had the power.  Them’s the rules. 

Go win the Senate Jimmer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

But, have the Ds ever preemptively threatened to not confirm someone? Maybe over a year out from election? 

Survey says, yes. 

And guess what, he was allowed to do it because he had the power.  Them’s the rules. 

Uhhh . . . did he do it?  Did he say such a thing shouldn't happen under ANY circumstance, as McConnell did?

Seems to be a major point.  But sure, McConnell never got the idea until Chuck brought it up.  

Yeesh.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fletch said:

Dude. I’ve been hearing this from my fairly well off uncle in the woodlands. But he’s like a legit white supremacist. One night in like 2015 he came over for Christmas. Everyone went to bed and I was watching the daily show. They were talking about shit in the Middle East and my uncle just goes “you know what we outta do? Bomb em back to the Stone Age! They’re just fuckin animals!!” That was after he said “I can’t stand fucking N-words(and he landed the ‘r’). I don’t want em around me, my wife, my kids, their friends, my neighborhood!” And yeah you get the point. And I’ve posted what my trumptard friends have been saying on here. Yep. The people preaching peace and equality and shit like that are the violent ones. Our public education system has failed us in every way possible

@Dr. Beeper Negged this post. Anything you wanna get off your chest, you piece of shit 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

id:
FondrenRoad said: Agree. I'd also take measures to end the nationalization of both the House and the Senate.  All campaign donations and volunteers must come from the district. Politicians from outside the district are banned from offering opinions on races where they are not a qualified voter. PACs banned altogether. 
======================

The 1percenters created pacs and unlimited campaign giving for their benefit. While this exists, let us use this tool against them. Let us use this until it gets fixed by the courts and we unfuck the stupid laws that helped create them. But yes, fuck PACs hard and also whatever laws took away the Fair and Balanced Doctrine. Those also need to addressed. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fletch said:

@Dr. Beeper Negged this post. Anything you wanna get off your chest, you piece of shit 

Not cool, dude.  He is a huge deal at his country club and as such you will afford him some respect fuckface!  

32 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Survey says, yes. 

Allowed to do what? Make a speech? 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Not cool, dude.  He is a huge deal at his country club and as such you will afford him some respect fuckface!  

Well, it’d be nice if @Dr. Beeper came in here and explained why that was neg worthy. But he won’t cause he’s a fucking pussy who seems extremely racist

edit: wait is @Dr. Beeper my uncle? Starting to seem like it 

Edited by Fletch
Beeper is definitely a racist
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

LOL at Rex Kramer, who does nothing but cry about the Cloak Room on the other boards. Sitting in his dark basement, self-loathingly scrolling through it while The Cure plays in the background. 

I have trouble keeping these losers straight. Was it Rex Kramer or some other Republican piece of shit that murdered his neighbor’s dog?

• Like 1

While we’re at it, can we dispose of this trope that if either side “got tough” then they would be able to get all this wild stuff done? A large number of these leaders are high functioning psychopaths. They will do whatever they can get away with, unless for some reason they don’t want to do it. 

Let’s look at packing the Court. You’ll have to overturn some existing legislation by passing new legislation. So you’re going to need 50 Senators. From what I’ve read the best case for Ds is 53 seats. 

Is Manchin going to vote for a major overhaul of one of the 3 branches of govt? One that hasn’t truly been campaigned for or sold to the public (yet)? What about Tester? The two AZ senators? Anyone else? They would potentially be putting their careers on the line.

If they couldn’t pull it off it might just be because they don’t have the political capital to do what the CR echo chamber sees as an inevitability.  Not because they aren’t “getting tough”. It’s just loser whining that both sides take part in.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

It’s ultimately what you’re capable of accomplishing. If there was a Democratic Senate in 2016 Merrick Garland is on the Court. If there was a Democratic Senate today, Trump wouldn’t be able to get a judge through.  It’s pretty simple actually. 

I am fine with this.  I look forward to your principled and consistent comment of support when the Dems accomplish whatever they are capable of accomplish.

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Of course it would be a huge mistake. Republicans run on the Supreme Court issue every Senate election, and with Trump 2016. And they’ve won the last few times with it.

I just listened to a pod that had a strong point. It’s a uniting issue for Republicans. Maybe as much as any other one. Even GWB popped up to speak up for Kavanaugh. You do what you were elected to do. 

Some other potential positives they mentioned that I haven’t seen here (surprise!). Hearings will highlight the voices of more radical grandstanders in Dem party.  Schumer, Harris etc. That’s actually in contrast to the moderate whom the party picked as a nominee. Also will likely help some Senate Republicans that are endangered. Also, if he picks Comey Barrett, it may be difficult for some on the Democratic side to not critique or attack her for her religion. A lot of Catholic swing voters in swing states. 

In any case, you don’t bother with people throwing a tantrum because you’re planning to use your Constitutionally granted, duly elected powers. 

it is extremely fitting that total lack of integrity is a uniting issue for republicans

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

While we’re at it, can we dispose of this trope that if either side “got tough” then they would be able to get all this wild stuff done? A large number of these leaders are high functioning psychopaths. They will do whatever they can get away with, unless for some reason they don’t want to do it. 

Let’s look at packing the Court. You’ll have to overturn some existing legislation by passing new legislation. So you’re going to need 50 Senators. From what I’ve read the best case for Ds is 53 seats. 

Is Manchin going to vote for a major overhaul of one of the 3 branches of govt? One that hasn’t truly been campaigned for or sold to the public (yet)? What about Tester? The two AZ senators? Anyone else? They would potentially be putting their careers on the line.

If they couldn’t pull it off it might just be because they don’t have the political capital to do what the CR echo chamber sees as an inevitability.  Not because they aren’t “getting tough”. It’s just loser whining that both sides take part in.  

Seems like you are the only one whining about what your people have wrought. It is now inevitable that we will have a take over the Senate and there will be retribution for the shit that we swallowed. But I argue for restraint and for righteousness. Give us our due: give us our districts back free forever of gerrymandering so that we won't be ruled by a minority ever again. REMOVE from existence the EC if we don't get congressional representation that reflects the  population of their respective districts. We demand equal representation so that our will be done! No more allowing the NRA  having a bigger say than we the motherfucking people! 

I am tired of being the majority and living by minority rule!  I am a reasonable middle-aged, middle class woman of no consequence who just asks for my voice to be heard. Fuck these people who are taking it away with their gerrymandering and pandering to special interests who help keep them in power.  I am angry but willing to be an adult and live within our system. Only now, I'm going to play by their bullshit rules and use PACs and support those who say they will pack the court to allow our voices to be heard.

If someone can step up and propose measures that allows change reasonably and more slowly than others may wish in the name of "fairness", I am inclined to listen and start with lesser issues than increasing the number of supreme court justices but that can never and forever be off the table because the hypocritical minority has made this so! 

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Why would Thomas retire before 76 with the opposing party in power? He isn't RBG or Breyer's age and replacing Breyer does nothing for liberals.

Plus, his wife is a lunatic. I'm sure he is not looking forward to retirement. He dies on the bench like RBG most likely.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I don’t get worked up on the hypocrisy of these things. Longtime politicians will always have quotes on both sides of process questions.

It’s ultimately what you’re capable of accomplishing. If there was a Democratic Senate in 2016 Merrick Garland is on the Court. If there was a Democratic Senate today, Trump wouldn’t be able to get a judge through.  It’s pretty simple actually. Republicans have run on this in every election and been rewarded for it. 

There may actually be some lukewarm Project Lincoln types that come back for this reason. “Let’s make sure Biden is elected and Dems get the Senate so they can pack the Court and add two states because they’re mad that Republicans exercised their earned power!” is a line of thinking that may cause some pause. We’ll see how it plays out. 

The precedent set will be, the prez only gets a S.C. appointee if they also have the senate. That’s no way to run a country but repubs have lead us here.

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

You have already dipped your toe too far in the water for a snowflake like yourself. Be careful diving all the way in. If Trump wins reelection, this nation is over. You and Mitch need to understand what happens if you take it too far.  Judges only matter in a nation of laws where the social compact holds.  How long do you think a tyrannical minority can hold the majority hostage?  Especially when that minority are all cowards like yourself.  

And you don't get worked up about hypocrisy because you are also a hypocrite with no ethics. As a proven coward and hypocrite, what value do you even provide to the world?  I'm guessing your dad owned stuff that you now own. The people are gonna come for that if you don't wake up. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

You have already dipped your toe too far in the water for a snowflake like yourself. Be careful diving all the way in. If Trump wins reelection, this nation is over. You and Mitch need to understand what happens if you take it too far.  Judges only matter in a nation of laws where the social compact holds.  How long do you think a tyrannical minority can hold the majority hostage?  Especially when that minority are all cowards like yourself.  
And you don't get worked up about hypocrisy because you are also a hypocrite with no ethics. As a proven coward and hypocrite, what value do you even provide to the world?  I'm guessing your dad owned stuff that you now own. The people are gonna come for that if you don't wake up. 

“If wins re-election, this nation is over.”

I’ve heard this during every election in my lifetime. Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama were all going to destroy our country, depending on who you listened to. Yet here we are.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I’ve heard this during every election in my lifetime. Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama were all going to destroy our country, depending on who you listened to. Yet here we are.

While true, you gotta admit this is a little different. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Now it’s historians, political scientists, and retired generals speaking out. Maybe listen to them more than internet strangers?

• Like 2