Can we talk about Pickles?

Neonmoon

I’ve been wanting to try those I’ve heard great things but HEB does not carry them.

We buy 5-6 jugs at a time. I often down one in a sitting. Best commercial pickle I’ve ever had. Very close to my grandpa’s (RIP) recipe that none of us have ever pulled off successfully.

6 hours ago, Topper13 said:

Like others, I've been doing the  covid bread thing. I'm thinking it's time to up the ante to covid pickling, and this might be the thread for it. If any surly pickle gurus want to post some tips, it is more than welcome. Oh, and fuck sweet pickles. 

Smitten Kitchen's fridge pickle recipe is my go-to.  I often add some fresh japs to the jar, garlic, red pepper flakes, whatever.  hardest part was finding decent all-glass jars.  think I finally found a pair in a set at BedBathnBeyond.

if I have to pick between cut pickle types, team chips.  I'll eat spears, but chips fry better, imo.  I miss Rick's on the Bricks.

I need to find my pickled onion recipe.  awesome carnitas taco topper.

• Hook 'Em 1

So far in the ToC (Time of Covid), I have pickled:

Onions-excellent! A revelation in usefulness, and I already drink Gibsons.  I never thought of this........

Okra-fine, but better ways to enjoy okra

Green beans-best way on earth to eat those dirt-tasting bastards And you can still fry ‘em after pickling.

Turnips-OK, but may as well be tofu; do turnips even have a flavor?

Eggs-didn’t really like my attempt.  Maybe the only way I actually like pickled eggs is 2.5 beers deep in some cinderblock roadhouse with neon beer signs for lighting.

Cauliflower-great crunch, a zingy little surprise package.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

So far in the ToC (Time of Covid), I have pickled:

Onions-excellent! A revelation in usefulness, and I already drink Gibsons.  I never thought of this........

Okra-fine, but better ways to enjoy okra

Green beans-best way on earth to eat those dirt-tasting bastards And you can still fry ‘em after pickling.

Turnips-OK, but may as well be tofu; do turnips even have a flavor?

Eggs-didn’t really like my attempt.  Maybe the only way I actually like pickled eggs is 2.5 beers deep in some cinderblock roadhouse with neon beer signs for lighting.

Cauliflower-great crunch, a zingy little surprise package.

Pickled cauliflower sounds awesome.  All of this sounds awesome, FWIW.  As someone who fiends fried okra pretty overrated, pickled okra is one of my favorite pickled vegetables.

Also, am I the only incapable of leaving a gas station without purchasing these?

6119cMoWAHL._SX425_.jpg

• Like 2

Don't like Bread and Butter pickles? What kind of yankee bullshit it that?

Not sure what you qualify as Yankee, but B&B pickles are a staple of bland-ass Norwegian Lutheran northern Plains cuisine. Very popular in Minnesota, the Dakotas, and northern reaches of Iowa and Nebraska. I learned to hate them by getting punked by relish trays at funerals and weddings as a kid.

Not exactly the South
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Not sure what you qualify as Yankee, but B&B pickles are a staple of bland-ass Norwegian Lutheran northern Plains cuisine. Very popular in Minnesota, the Dakotas, and northern reaches of Iowa and Nebraska. I learned to hate them by getting punked by relish trays at funerals and weddings as a kid.

Not exactly the South

My grandmother that never set foot North of the Red River made the greatest B&B pickles I've ever eaten. They must have appropriated the recipe during reconstruction.

Edited by RPM

I just assume the Mid-Western version of any food is, at best, sustenance.  no surprise they'd fuck up breadnbutter pickles.

Best Maid Jalapeño b&b pickle slices are good with onions on a pulled pork sandwich.  I especially like the little chili peppers they put in the jar.  but that's it.

• Like 1

I started making my own, because as we all know, the most important part of making good BBQ is pickles.  And my BBQ deserves some amazing pickles.  Also, I get to control the sodium.

2-3 medium Cukes (or 4-5 small)

2c Water

4-6 cloves Garlic, peeled and left whole

1c White Vinegar

3 Tb Pickling or Kosher Salt

1 Tb Dill Seed (or 4 Sprigs Dill & 2 tsp Dill Seed)

½ tsp Coriander Seed

½ tsp Celery Seed

½ tsp Mustard Seed

½ tsp Black Peppercorns

(1) Hungarian War or Habanero Pepper (optional)

(1) Quart jar

1.  Slice Cukes into rounds or spears, set aside 

2.  Bring the Water to simmer in saucepan. 

3.  Place Garlic into simmering water and cook for 5 minutes.  Remove from pan and place in jar.

4.   Add Vinegar and Salt to water, bring to a boil until Salt dissolves and remove Brine from heat.

5.  Add Dill, Coriander, Celery, Mustard, and Peppercorns to the jar.  Cut Pepper in half and place in jar.

6.  Bring Brine back to a boil, then pour into jar, filling it completely to cover the Cukes.  Seal the jar.

7.  Let jar cool to room temperature and refrigerate for at least two days before opening. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I just assume the Mid-Western version of any food is, at best, sustenance.  no surprise they'd fuck up breadnbutter pickles.
Best Maid Jalapeño b&b pickle slices are good with onions on a pulled pork sandwich.  I especially like the little chili peppers they put in the jar.  but that's it.

I’ve vomited from disgust off B&B pickles.

Heat/peppers can redeem sweet-ish pickles, but they can’t be that sweet. The arrangement you describe sounds like it has potential.
  • Hook 'Em 1

While this discussion is mostly focused on pickled cucumbers, it made me reminisce about my my experiences with pickled turnips and veggies at some lebanese/middle eastern restaurants.  Some of them present the table with these pink, pickled veggies the same way a Tex Mex restaurant would bring chips and salsa to the table.  I remember the first few times I tried them, they were revolting.  Super salty.  Gross.

But then I tried eating them with hummus and/or baba ganoush.  Damn.  They are quite awesome paired like that.  You sort of develop a taste for them after a while.  Then I actually spent some time in the middle east (working as a consultant for some oil companies) and began to appreciate the reason for salt and lemon juice in just about everything they prepare (replenish what you sweat). 

/csb

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Topper13 said:
Like others, I've been doing the  covid bread thing. I'm thinking it's time to up the ante to covid pickling, and this might be the thread for it. If any surly pickle gurus want to post some tips, it is more than welcome. Oh, and fuck sweet pickles. 

i fermented pickles a couple times last year.  go to 99 ranch market and buy small cucumbers if the farmer's market doesn't have any.

i think quart jars are too small, okay for kimchi, sauerkraut, other stuff, but cucumbers just don't quite fit right.  need more layers i think.  i'll buy some half gallon jars for next time. little silicone airlocks seem to work ok.  i also have some glass weights to keep the cucumbers down in the jars.  get the ones with little handles molded into the tops so you can get them out. 

2e879ec19bbd1a764e9d8837b23f3893.jpg

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

some other pickle favorites of mine in addition to the Grillos 

large-2e1b14a4-4893-476d-ab78-817fa0165b

spacer.png
spacer.png

^the spicy bread and butter Antone's chips are awesome 

i always have about a half dozen different jars of pickled stuff in my fridge at any given time - beets, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, and of course cucumbers 

Edited by Jack Straw
sp
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 9:40 AM, bernorange said:

Costco sometimes has this large plastic square jar of pickles in the freezer section and they are excellent.

spacer.png

i have great news for you. if you are willing to go into walmart they have these all the time - over by the bacon and lunchables area.

HEB has them also near the cheese area by the deli - the commercially packaged cheeses, not the ones that are cut/sealed in store - just not in the big bottle like this.

Claussen is the best widely commercially available pickle I have found. Those Grillos are fucking amazing but hard to get if you aren't near a whole foods/central market (or Kroger strangely enough?)

Edited by NoName

2 hours ago, PilotsError said:

If they're not fermented, they're not real pickles

no reason to shit on refrigerator pickles, they may not be as good as fermented ones but as long as they have the crunch i am all in on anything other than B&B (because fuck B&B pickles)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1