Can we talk about Pickles?

Neonmoon

On 9/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, Hpara759 said:

The 12-16 count!

41eC5omGo8L._AC_SY400_.jpg

switch it to sour and now we're talking.  i buy two of these bad boys at a time.  they last a few months. i can only eat 1/2 a pickle at a time, but they are glorious.

i also jar the juice.  great to sip on after a long run.

31e50253-0ea9-4e1a-a32b-e01327c9aa95_1.4

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

switch it to sour and now we're talking.  i buy two of these bad boys at a time.  they last a few months. i can only eat 1/2 a pickle at a time, but they are glorious.

i also jar the juice.  great to sip on after a long run.

31e50253-0ea9-4e1a-a32b-e01327c9aa95_1.4

If it's not Best Maid it's competing for 2nd place.  I buy 5 jugs at a time when back in TX to take home to IN.  Make popsicles with the juice - you're right, it's great after a run.  A couple times when I've run out before a trip back to TX I've bought them on Amazon.  Both the dill and the sour.  

Oh, and B&B pickles are the devil's dick.

• Hook 'Em 1

I celebrate pickled anything. This place makes the best pickled stuff I've found, I found them in Fredericksburg a long time ago, and at farmers markets in Austin.
I love pickled carrots most, but rotate between okra, pickles, green beans, for a texture change.
Looks like they offer free shipping over 40.

I make mine every now and then, want to try fermenting.b364696a3040aabe87f63b42834c3f89.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/21/2020 at 1:59 PM, BlueGreySky said:

If it's not Best Maid it's competing for 2nd place.  I buy 5 jugs at a time when back in TX to take home to IN.  Make popsicles with the juice - you're right, it's great after a run.  A couple times when I've run out before a trip back to TX I've bought them on Amazon.  Both the dill and the sour.  

Oh, and B&B pickles are the devil's dick.

https://bestmaidpickles.com/

I was hooked as kid.  I always have a gallon in the pantry.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/21/2020 at 12:43 PM, Jive Turkey said:

holy shit.  never heard of this place.  i know where i'm going this weekend.  thanks!!!

Great American Hero on Lemmon in Dallas has some ridiculous pickles.  Sandwiches are just okay, but damn there pickles are badass

Edited by Landomatic
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just inventoried the refrigerator: I have Bubbies kosher dills (brined, no vinegar), Mrs Klein’s dills, Mrs Kleins sweet gherkins, Whole Foods/365 kosher dills (wife, no pics), Mezetta capers, Mezetta cocktail onions (my Gibsons!), Sanniti gardinera, sweet pickle relish, dill pickle relish, Vlasic kosher dills, Vlasic bread and butter chips, Dixieland hot chowchow, Claussen sauerkraut, and my home made pickled onion “relish”.  Surly collective:  do I have a problem here?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BlueGreySky said:

No problem.  Your affinity for pickled things is like my hot sauce addiction.  The entire door of my fridge (except the egg shelf on top) is hot sauce.  Probably close to 40 different brands. 

Pro tip: my hot sauces are all in the pantry—the majority don’t need refrigeration.  Lots of pickles don’t either, but I like the extra crunch!

I don't mind a B&B pickle now and again.

Store bought, it's hard to beat Clausen for me.

Made some homemade ones a few weeks ago from cucumbers from the farmers Market.  Did both chips and spears.  They were excellent.

Need to do another batch.

They're much easier to do than I anticipated..

On 9/18/2020 at 11:21 PM, Neonmoon said:

My favorite snack these days are baby pickles, or cornichons for the French, or Gherkins for the English. I mean I was always a spear man growing up, damn there is nothing better than some kosher dill baby pickles. Also, if you want to take a shot of vodka, a shot of pickle juice is a great chaser. Also, nothing better for a Bloody Mary than a baby pickle 

p.s. if you eat sweet pickles, you are a monster 

your wife likes baby pickles too

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

Just inventoried the refrigerator: I have Bubbies kosher dills (brined, no vinegar), Mrs Klein’s dills, Mrs Kleins sweet gherkins, Whole Foods/365 kosher dills (wife, no pics), Mezetta capers, Mezetta cocktail onions (my Gibsons!), Sanniti gardinera, sweet pickle relish, dill pickle relish, Vlasic kosher dills, Vlasic bread and butter chips, Dixieland hot chowchow, Claussen sauerkraut, and my home made pickled onion “relish”.  Surly collective:  do I have a problem here?

yes.  you're missing pickled eggs/herring/pigs feet

I like pickles.  I should probably stay away from the sodium, so I don't get too into them.

For whatever reason, I tend to go between Vlasic and Claussen Kosher Dills.  Vlasic aren't as crisp, but to me have more and better flavor.

My Dad loved Heinz Kosher Dills and they were good.  But for a company that actually has a pickle in their logo, they have been exiting the pickle business slowly for like 30-40 years.  The Kosher Dills disappeared about 25-30 years ago.  My mom inquired where she could find them and Heinz sent her a case, free.

Anyway, sounds like I had better broaden my horizons to at least include Mt Olive and Best Maid, if not some of the specialty pickles.

My grandma's recipe for homemade.

Stuff jars, cucs, some dill, garlic to taste, 1/4 on an onion.  Leave about 3/4" of head space.

Put jar seals in small pot/skillet to soften up the rubber sealing surface.

Brine solution to fill the jar.  7 cups H2O, 2 cups of pickling vinegar, 1/2 cup of pickling salt, 1/2 cup of sugar.   Boil and stir until solids are dissolved.   

Fill jars with hot brine and seal with lids and rings.  Place jars on cookie sheet in preheated oven at 400 +/_ for apprx 15-20 minutes.  Cucs will change color.  Remove and sit covered with a towel covering the jars.  Towel will slows the cooling.  Jar lids will make a pop sound as they seal and turn concave.

Variations, you can pickle just a jar of onions or jalapenos this way.  Sometimes we put a jap or handful of birds eye peppers in the jar.  Birds eye sure make a pretty jar of pickles to look at.  Dill...you can use fresh stalked, seed, or dried.  I prefer fresh stalked, but dried makes a good back up plan.  As far as stuffing the jars go, you can chunk,cut into spears, or slice. 

If ya'll want B&B recipe I got it. 

I got a recipe for crock jar pickles, it makes a white slime across the crock but is good.

Pickle making time is best when med to small cucs are available.  June July maybe early August. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Edit for post 88.

The crock jar pickles are good, not the slime/scum. Ya'll MFers see/hear "white slime" and into the gutter ya' go.  Not that you've ever been out.

Use a cookie sheet with edges.  At some point, if you can enough, boiling or near boiling brine going into room temperature glass could crack or break.

Also, since the brine is hot, use some type of grip(heat sink) when you tighten down the rings and seals.

15 hours ago, elfenix said:

yes.  you're missing pickled eggs/herring/pigs feet

I’m out on the herring-tried ‘em once.  I’ve only eaten cooked trotters in France, twice-different and good, no interest in pickled.  I’ve made pickled eggs a few times, like them only as drunk food.  Oh, yeah, I have a jar of pickled okra, too.

On September 30, 2020 at 2:28 PM, Horn Draoi said:

Pro tip: my hot sauces are all in the pantry—the majority don’t need refrigeration.  Lots of pickles don’t either, but I like the extra crunch!

Hot sauces will get discolored over time. If you have a large assortment, the less frequently used bottles keep better longer in the fridge. They can turn a little brownish otherwise. The flavor isn't affected but it loses its visual appeal. 

The only reason I own a bottle of green Tabasco is so I can add it to New England clam chowder. That's it. I don't use it for anything else. That needs to last a long time. I've got multiple bottles of habanero Tabasco and Montezuma brand Smokin' Chipotle Habanero hot sauce in the cupboard that will never see the inside of the refrigerator. 

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Hot sauces will get discolored over time. If you have a large assortment, the less frequently used bottles keep better longer in the fridge. They can turn a little brownish otherwise. The flavor isn't affected but it loses its visual appeal. 

The only reason I own a bottle of green Tabasco is so I can add it to New England clam chowder. That's it. I don't use it for anything else. That needs to last a long time. I've got multiple bottles of habanero Tabasco and Montezuma brand Smokin' Chipotle Habanero hot sauce in the cupboard that will never see the inside of the refrigerator. 

my dad lives in new orleans and has a big bottle of Tabasco in his pantry that i grabbed at the corner store about 12 years ago because he didn't have any in the house - he's old and doesn't like Tabasco/spicy (weird in NO, I know) and it only gets used when I am there.   It has turned brown over time.   that shit is delicious.  

Edited by Jack Straw
sp

• 2 weeks later...