Can we talk about Pickles?

Neonmoon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 11:08 PM, Bevo&Pevo said:

My grandma's recipe for homemade.

Stuff jars, cucs, some dill, garlic to taste, 1/4 on an onion.  Leave about 3/4" of head space.

Put jar seals in small pot/skillet to soften up the rubber sealing surface.

Brine solution to fill the jar.  7 cups H2O, 2 cups of pickling vinegar, 1/2 cup of pickling salt, 1/2 cup of sugar.   Boil and stir until solids are dissolved.   

Fill jars with hot brine and seal with lids and rings.  Place jars on cookie sheet in preheated oven at 400 +/_ for apprx 15-20 minutes.  Cucs will change color.  Remove and sit covered with a towel covering the jars.  Towel will slows the cooling.  Jar lids will make a pop sound as they seal and turn concave.

Variations, you can pickle just a jar of onions or jalapenos this way.  Sometimes we put a jap or handful of birds eye peppers in the jar.  Birds eye sure make a pretty jar of pickles to look at.  Dill...you can use fresh stalked, seed, or dried.  I prefer fresh stalked, but dried makes a good back up plan.  As far as stuffing the jars go, you can chunk,cut into spears, or slice. 

If ya'll want B&B recipe I got it. 

I got a recipe for crock jar pickles, it makes a white slime across the crock but is good.

Pickle making time is best when med to small cucs are available.  June July maybe early August. 

On 9/19/2020 at 2:00 PM, After irth said:

I started making my own, because as we all know, the most important part of making good BBQ is pickles.  And my BBQ deserves some amazing pickles.  Also, I get to control the sodium.

2-3 medium Cukes (or 4-5 small)

2c Water

4-6 cloves Garlic, peeled and left whole

1c White Vinegar

3 Tb Pickling or Kosher Salt

1 Tb Dill Seed (or 4 Sprigs Dill & 2 tsp Dill Seed)

½ tsp Coriander Seed

½ tsp Celery Seed

½ tsp Mustard Seed

½ tsp Black Peppercorns

(1) Hungarian War or Habanero Pepper (optional)

(1) Quart jar

1.  Slice Cukes into rounds or spears, set aside 

2.  Bring the Water to simmer in saucepan. 

3.  Place Garlic into simmering water and cook for 5 minutes.  Remove from pan and place in jar.

4.   Add Vinegar and Salt to water, bring to a boil until Salt dissolves and remove Brine from heat.

5.  Add Dill, Coriander, Celery, Mustard, and Peppercorns to the jar.  Cut Pepper in half and place in jar.

6.  Bring Brine back to a boil, then pour into jar, filling it completely to cover the Cukes.  Seal the jar.

7.  Let jar cool to room temperature and refrigerate for at least two days before opening. 

Thanks for posting these.  Question- the most important thing for me is the crunch. Will these recipes still work if you do a cold brine? Maybe heat the brine up to bring out the flavors then let cool before adding the cucumbers?

I like to slice fresh japs and put them into jars of leftover store bought dill pickle brine and those are always pretty good.  Also. noticed the guy in the half sour video above never heated his and those look great. 

On 9/19/2020 at 9:40 AM, bernorange said:

Costco sometimes has this large plastic square jar of pickles in the freezer section and they are excellent.

spacer.png

Wal Mart has those in the fridge section, sometimes a bit hard to spot. I get the smaller jars at HEB in the refrigerated deli section. I like the long slices, but they havent had them in stock since the 'rona, so I go with spears, still hit and miss being in stock these days.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/20/2020 at 1:27 PM, threesheets said:

Thanks for posting these.  Question- the most important thing for me is the crunch. Will these recipes still work if you do a cold brine? Maybe heat the brine up to bring out the flavors then let cool before adding the cucumbers?

I like to slice fresh japs and put them into jars of leftover store bought dill pickle brine and those are always pretty good.  Also. noticed the guy in the half sour video above never heated his and those look great. 

Never tried a cold brine tech with this recipe, but I do have a couple of other recipes for what momma call "ice box" pickles.  If you want it let me know.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So for the true pickle lovers....

I work in Germany quite often. Usually, I am in Berlin, but I go all over from Hamburg to Munich. Anyway, I really love rural Germany so I try to take weekend train trips to little towns. A couple of years ago, one of these excursions led to me ending up in Lubbenau (two dots above the first U), about an hour south of Berlin. 

Why bring this up in a pickle thread? Well because Lubbenau is Mecca for pickle eater. This is the first thing I saw when I got off the train. 

s. Unknown-1.jpeg.e7de36caf8e147a7528bc234aca0590c.jpeg''

Also interesting is that people travel around this swampy area by riding in these skiffs. Boats and pickles (and of course beer)--what is not to like?

This "town" is very small. You pay a buck or two and get in one of these boats. 

Unknown-2.jpeg.d2c093161fbdebf80c14ddd12ea48489.jpeg

The boat rower, then takes off down the canals. Our captain was evidently super hilarious (for a German) and everyone laughed constantly at his pickle jokes. I don't sprechen sie Deutsch so I have no idea if he was Chappelle or Schumer. He could push pole a skiff pretty good so I'll give him that. 

This canal has houses all along the sides and even had little skiff garages for the local folk.

Unknown-8.jpeg.60fa08c44f9d7ee55d721ec7e4c30ece.jpeg

Many of these picklers also had set up little stands along the way. They would sell both pickles and beer. I partook in many of each. 

Unknown-3.jpeg.39b142a6648a3179393b4ca84c7e0b6a.jpegUnknown-4.jpeg.bf1133238887249417769714e5aba928.jpeg

Every so often, you could even leap out and sit among the trees (and Germans) and get a plate. 

Unknown-5.jpeg.39f8cc534235df7c7dc1493bd9fae321.jpeg

Anyway, these fools were crazy for pickles and I achieved maximum daily pickle allotment. I got damn close on the beer. Slept on the train back to Berlin and went and got more beer--did not get more pickles. 

When going through my phone to find these pics, I also came across this one. 

Unknown-9.jpeg.a5ab0a53200a8e4d535024b55eb84c65.jpeg

It seems the locals may also beat the hell out of unruly gars with bundles of carrots. So that's pretty cool too. 

Unknown-6.jpeg

Edited by squib
duplicate photo
  • Hook 'Em 6

My cukes are starting to fruit (I got them in the ground late this year) and just did four small jars yesterday. Slicing and pickling the burpees that I pull when they get about 7 inches long. And did some spears with the first four Kirbys that I pulled. Gonna do a big batch of whole Kirbys when a bunch of fruit should ripen at about the same time next week. Did a basic refrigerator pickle of a half cup of white vinegar, a smashed and chopped garlic clove, a teaspoon of pickling salt, fresh dill from the garden, and a jalapeno from the garden (which also tastes great pickled). Fill up with cold water and let em sit for a few hours, shaking once or twice. They're ready to eat later in the day and they taste awesome. 

• 4 months later...
29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, hey, you're still posting. Whaddya know.

I won't point you towards the several posts in various threads bitching about supply chain issues because no one can find Clausen pickles anymore so everyone is pissed they have to buy the inferior Nathan's. 

exactly this.

WalMart used to have them long after HEB was out but no luck there. Same for Costco/Sams.

the only good news is that our HEB started selling the True Texas (HEB's BBQ business) pickles now that there is a store with a BBQ spot in it close. they went with the very strange decision of having the "normal" pickles have a red label and the "spicy" pickles have the black label though.

51 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, hey, you're still posting. Whaddya know.

I won't point you towards the several posts in various threads bitching about supply chain issues because no one can find Clausen pickles anymore so everyone is pissed they have to buy the inferior Nathan's. 

oh good, you CR'd the food thread and Claussen dont hold a candle to these pickles.

Edited by Passive Aggressive Coach

4 minutes ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

oh good, you CR'd the food thread and Claussen dont hold a candle to these pickles.

I'm sorry, how did this thread get CR'd by me? Show your work, sir. 

Lets see what this thread says. My money is you're in the minority...which seems about right, as usual. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

Sams had the big Claussens, still my favorite. Their spicy is good too, I don't even need to try Vlasics to know they are inferior. I have found a few other brands that are good from time to time, but I'll always go back to Claussen. Are there any other store brands that require refrigeration? At this point I think my brain is trained to believe that the refrigeration is the key.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

boar's head pickles are in the fridge section next to the deli, usually. 

nathan's are inferior to claussen.  the place that actually makes nathan's pickles, hermann's, also sells a refrigerated pickle under their own brand name.  for whatever reason it's also superior to nathan's pickles.  but i've only seen it in sprouts. 

and there's bubbies which are fermented rather than vinegar pickles, so have a different flavor profile and also cost $10. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, hey, you're still posting.

"new" user

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Sams had the big Claussens, still my favorite. Their spicy is good too, I don't even need to try Vlasics to know they are inferior. I have found a few other brands that are good from time to time, but I'll always go back to Claussen. Are there any other store brands that require refrigeration? At this point I think my brain is trained to believe that the refrigeration is the key.

I used to load up at Costco, and told others to do the same, but the last two times I went they were out. So... /sad trombone. 

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

boar's head pickles are in the fridge section next to the deli, usually. 

and yes, nathan's are inferior to claussen.  the place that actually makes nathan's pickles, hermann's, also sells under their own brand name.  for whatever reason it's also superior to nathan's pickles.  but i've only seen it in sprouts. 

"new" user

Good eyes. I didn't even notice the spaces. Maybe now I'll crowd source him, just because "Passive_Agressive_Coach" with the same avatar will also be hilarious.

I'm also shocked nary a person has come here yet who wants to stan Nathan's over Claussen. PAC's instincts are indeed universally shitty. 

40 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I used to load up at Costco, and told others to do the same, but the last two times I went they were out. So... /sad trombone. 

Good eyes. I didn't even notice the spaces. Maybe now I'll crowd source him, just because "Passive_Agressive_Coach" with the same avatar will also be hilarious.

I'm also shocked nary a person has come here yet who wants to stan Nathan's over Claussen. PAC's instincts are indeed universally shitty. 

It's false. Nathan's > Claussen. Just like Beef Ribs > Brisket. Both are good just one is better.

6 hours ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

Claussen dont hold a candle to these pickles.

clearly, you haven't had Claussens.

Nathan's aren't bad, but they aren't as good as Claussen.

25 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Nathan’s are ass. Best Maid is the king of store bought pickles. Make your own though, nothing touches that. 

Best Maid isn't bad and is one of the best of the non refrigerated categories, sure. but overall? nope.

Coming to a pickles thread and declaring Nathan's the winner just remains high fucking comedy to me. It's like shitting on Whataburger to anoint White Castle as the best fast food burger, or insisting that a&m has better academics than UT. Next up this motherfucker is going to claim that pussy is easily defeated. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Coming to a pickles thread and declaring Nathan's the winner just remains high fucking comedy to me. It's like shitting on Whataburger to anoint White Castle as the best fast food burger, or insisting that a&m has better academics than UT. Next up this motherfucker is going to claim that pussy is easily defeated. 

Preach John Stamos GIF by Fuller House