Can we talk about Pickles?

Neonmoon

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

I'm not going back through four pages to see if I've posted on this thread before but those of you shitting on "sweet" pickles -- do none of y'all love the sweet horseradish pickle slices that a bunch of places put on the plate with an elevated burger or some other kind of sandie? Because I fucking love those, along with most other pickles. Carry on.

Username and avatar check out. 

(I need a nap after reading that.)

19 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I wouldn’t bother. Plain vinegar and a couple of habaneros will do just fine.

Yep. I made a bunch of jars this spring/summer before the blastfurnace killed my cucumber plant. Even just one small jap in the jar made a difference. 

Haven't read this thread so not sure if it's been touched on, but I made some jars with a heaping tablespoon of ranch seasoning, and those turned out fucking amazing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Question for pickle people - have you ever bought quality pickle juice by itself? I'm talking about for recipes or cramps, not for pickling reuse or whatever. There are like 1000 options on Amazon, but most look like they're not the juice but a beverage that tastes like the juice. Anybody know a good one to buy?

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Question for pickle people - have you ever bought quality pickle juice by itself? I'm talking about for recipes or cramps, not for pickling reuse or whatever. There are like 1000 options on Amazon, but most look like they're not the juice but a beverage that tastes like the juice. Anybody know a good one to buy?

I think Walmart still sells the Best Maid dill juice jugs. We used to get those and pour koolaid packets in them. Slammed and went hard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I think Walmart still sells the Best Maid dill juice jugs.

those are $17 on Amazon from best maid: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Maid-Dill-Juice-Gal/dp/B00PYM8VLE

direct from best maid: https://bestmaidpickles.com/product/dill-pickle-juice/

looks like $7 at specs?:  https://specsonline.com/shop/foods/mixers/bestmaid-pickles-dill-juice-gal/

i don't have a great answer, but i would make sure it's from an actual pickle company vs some of those rando ones on Amazon.

alternatively, you can google for local places that make pickles and probably get it even cheaper if you need a bunch of gallons? or if you just need like 5 gal for that price i would see if your local specs would order them for you.

• Hook 'Em 2

My old man would chop up a gallon jar of dill pickles in a vat. Add about 20 cloves of garlic, cinnamon sticks, mustard seeds, peppercorns, cloves, a jar or two of pickled sliced jalapeños, and about four pounds of sugar. Into the fridge for a month. They were fucking awesome.

I used to love the escabiche they’d bring to the table with chips and hot sauce at Tex Mex joints. Sliced jalapeños, onions, carrots. Does anyone know a good commercial one or a decent recipe for homemade?

• 5 months later...
On 10/18/2022 at 2:51 PM, closetojumping said:

Answering your earlier question, I usually throw all sorts of veg into my leftover brine if its good stuff.  Broccoli, cauliflower and any fresh peppers are good along side the usual french green bean, onion or okra.

That Wahlburgers pickles are solid.  One of our two grocery stores in my town is a subsidiary of Hy-Vee (think HEB for the plains Midwest) and Hy-Vee made some deal with Wahlburgers to put a bunch of their restaurants in the larger grocery stores (especially in Des Moines, Omaha, Kansas City areas), but in the little ones they started stocking the pickles.

I prefer Grillo's, but these work in a pinch on Sunday when the other store isn't open.

11 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That Wahlburgers pickles are solid.  One of our two grocery stores in my town is a subsidiary of Hy-Vee (think HEB for the plains Midwest) and Hy-Vee made some deal with Wahlburgers to put a bunch of their restaurants in the larger grocery stores (especially in Des Moines, Omaha, Kansas City areas), but in the little ones they started stocking the pickles.

I prefer Grillo's, but these work in a pinch on Sunday when the other store isn't open.

https://www.perishablenews.com/deli/in-lawsuit-pickle-maker-accuses-wahlburgers-of-misrepresenting-its-pickles/

• 3 months later...

This is just a short Insta reel, but made these today to get rid of 6 strips of bacon that were real borderline. 2 tablespoons of HV spicy powder in a jar of Vlasic Zesty Dills for a day, finished product turned out way better than expected. 

The leftover pickle juice has quite a kick too, but don't really have any other uses for it. 

• Drool 1