Underrated Movies

Fud

In an effort to help me (and others on the board) build a watchlist, what are some of your favorite lesser known movies? The more you can post, the better

Here are some of mine:

Netflix:
Haywire: Steven Soderbergh action starring Gina Carano and featuring Channing Tatum, Michael Douglas, Antonio Banderas Ewan Mcgregor, Bill Paxton, and a young Michael Fassbender.
Burning: A South Korean movie that I think is better than Parasite, but don't let high expectations ruin it for you
Blue Ruin: Low budget slow burner about a man on the run

Prime Streaming with Sub:
You Were Never Really There: Best actor of the decade, Joaquin Phoenix, plays a hitman with PTSD
The Handmaiden: Maybe my second favorite South Korean movie after Oldboy
Neon Demon: Nicolas Refn movie (which means lots of ****ed up stuff with a backdrop of synth wave music and beautiful neon shots) about a young lady trying to make it in modeling in LA

Prime and Hulu Streaming with Sub:
The Ninth Gate: Polanski neo noir about a rare book finder, Johnny Depp, finding books for a rich client

HBO Max:
Hanna: A young Saoirse Ronan plays a young assassin on the run
The American: George Clooney plays a retired assassin hanging around in Tuscany to do one last job. Slow burn, so don't watch if you can't handle that

Prime Rentals
Brick: Early Rian Johnson high school neo noir starring a young Joseph Gordon-Levett
Sunshine: Danny Boyle space sci-fi with a strong cast
Primer: Low budget hard sci-fi movie about a couple of inventive engineers working on a project in their garage, and the movie turns into a mind****
Red Riding Trilogy: I think of it as a British True Detective

What do you guys got?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Here are the first that come to mind. I will try to remember more. 

Safe Men - 1998 comedy heist. Sam Rockwell, Steve Zahn, Paul Giamatti, Mark Ruffalo, Peter Dinklage

Blue is the Warmest Color - french lesbian romance drama 2013

Frailty - 2001 mystery - Bill Paxton, Matthew McConaughey

Flawless - 2007 - Demi Moore, Michael Caine

Instead of going with artsy movies that most film people already like, these are some typical Hollywood movies that I think are underrated and I wish movies like them were still made today.

Inside Man

Fracture

Gattaca

Stardust

The Nice Guys

Edited by fellside

Blood Simple (the Coen bros' first) it holds you from the opening scene

The Castle (from Oz) memorably cantankerous and law actually working out fairly

Muriel's Wedding (" ") edgy funny excellent cast hope for wallflowers 

Montenegro - just take it on faith; 1980ish Susan Anspach trippy sensual out there, well worth the watch.  Meet me at Club Zanzibar!

14 hours ago, Fud said:

In an effort to help me (and others on the board) build a watchlist, what are some of your favorite lesser known movies? The more you can post, the better

Here are some of mine:

Netflix:
Haywire: Steven Soderbergh action starring Gina Carano and featuring Channing Tatum, Michael Douglas, Antonio Banderas Ewan Mcgregor, Bill Paxton, and a young Michael Fassbender.
Burning: A South Korean movie that I think is better than Parasite, but don't let high expectations ruin it for you
Blue Ruin: Low budget slow burner about a man on the run

Prime Streaming with Sub:
You Were Never Really There: Best actor of the decade, Joaquin Phoenix, plays a hitman with PTSD
The Handmaiden: Maybe my second favorite South Korean movie after Oldboy
Neon Demon: Nicolas Refn movie (which means lots of ****ed up stuff with a backdrop of synth wave music and beautiful neon shots) about a young lady trying to make it in modeling in LA

Prime and Hulu Streaming with Sub:
The Ninth Gate: Polanski neo noir about a rare book finder, Johnny Depp, finding books for a rich client

HBO Max:
Hanna: A young Saoirse Ronan plays a young assassin on the run
The American: George Clooney plays a retired assassin hanging around in Tuscany to do one last job. Slow burn, so don't watch if you can't handle that

Prime Rentals
Brick: Early Rian Johnson high school neo noir starring a young Joseph Gordon-Levett
Sunshine: Danny Boyle space sci-fi with a strong cast
Primer: Low budget hard sci-fi movie about a couple of inventive engineers working on a project in their garage, and the movie turns into a mind****
Red Riding Trilogy: I think of it as a British True Detective

What do you guys got?

None of these jump out as underated.  People raved about Red Riding Trilogy, and I think it was very much "underseen".

29 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

Montenegro - just take it on faith; 1980ish Susan Anspach trippy sensual out there, well worth the watch.  Meet me at Club Zanzibar!

It's terrible.

But holds a place in my heart, because it was one of my first dates with my wife.  She walked out in a huff when the "remote control "dildo on a car/tank" scene happened.  (This was at a random campus film at UT back in the late 80s).  She made me walk back in to get her purse/bag which she left on her seat. 

I've been trying to accurately figure out how this prefigured my destiny.

I tend to follow directors and below are some of my favorites and I think underrated.

Noah Baumbach:  Kicking and Screaming and The Squid and the Whale are two early ones I enjoy rewatching and both are on netflix.

Atom Egoyan:  Exotica and The Sweet Hereafter.  I miss video stores and browsing for unknown titles in the suspense section.

Jonathan Demme: Melvin and Howard and Swimming to Cambodia.   Don't like to watch many films while high as I lose the plot, Swimming to Cambodia is an exception.

John Sayles:  Matewan and Secret of Roan Inish.  I like most of his films, but these two are my faves.  Lone Star may not be underrated, but it is certainly unavailable.

Hal Hartley:  Trust and The Book of Life.  Hartley also directed some of better episodes of sitcom Red Oaks available on Prime.  Book of Life is a short movie that I've seen on youtube about the end of days.

David O Russell:  Flirting with Disaster.  Three Kings is a great movie whether it is rated or not.

Bruce Beresford:  Breaker Morant and Don's Party (available on Prime). Is Breaker Morant underrated?  It is, if it is not considered a great film.

Fandango - the most underrated movie ive ever seen. Should have been a hit, but Spielberg pulled the plug before distro. 

Life (with Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence) - best drama/comedy ever made

The Thin Red Line - if this comes out a year or two earlier, its arguably the greatest war movie of all time. Instead, it came out after SPR

The Campaign - not an incredible movie, but very underrated comedy. Just like Money Talks, Burt Wonderstone, and Hall Pass

Varsity Blues - despite its obvious flaws, it portrays small town Texas really well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Some of my favorites that are seldom mentioned:

I like “The 9th Gate” call above.  Kind of underrated if not ignored. 

-Kingdom of Heaven

-The Book of Eli (yeah, it’s dorky as shit, but I still love the hell out of it if only for the heartening of days when memorized entire chapters of the Bible as a young lad) 

-The Postman (roundly excoriated as an awful movie due to its release in proximity to Waterworld, but it’s really not that terrible) 

-Force 10 From Navarone.  

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Life (with Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence) - best drama/comedy ever made

The Thin Red Line - if this comes out a year or two earlier, its arguably the greatest war movie of all time. Instead, it came out after SPR

Varsity Blues - despite its obvious flaws, it portrays small town Texas really well. 

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

-Kingdom of Heaven

-The Book of Eli (yeah, it’s dorky as shit, but I still love the hell out of it if only for the heartening of days when memorized entire chapters of the Bible as a young lad) 

-The Postman (roundly excoriated as an awful movie due to its release in proximity to Waterworld, but it’s really not that terrible) 

-Force 10 From Navarone.  

54 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Waterworld

Sleepers

Talented Mr. Ripley

Eyes Wide Shut

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Three Kings and Out of Sight are two of my favorite movies. Both are under appreciated IMO.

Are these really underrated? Maybe I’m confused with the definition of underrated. 

A Single Man - Colin Firth, directed by Tom Ford. Cool style. I love the saturation effect. Jon Hamm voice cameo.

A Serious Man - Cohn brothers, nominated for some awards but I don’t think it won anything.

The Master - IMO highly rewatchable with epic performances from Joaquin and Hoffman. One of my faves.

Prisoners - Denis Villenueve. I don’t know if this is underrated but I think it’s a great one.

5 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I know The Three Burials of Melquides Estrada and Lone Star are well received on Rotten Tomatoes, but I never felt like those two got the recognition they deserve because they're Westerns.

Lone star is brilliant. Need to watch the other one 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Are these really underrated? Maybe I’m confused with the definition of underrated. 

Yeah, we have this debate around here pretty often. What people generally mean  is "movies I don't think enough people have seen because I really think they are terrific.".

Lone Star has never been underrated by people who like Sayles or who generally like flicks.  

Three movies that Sayles has done that everyone should see are Matewan, Lone Star and Eight  Men Out.  I thought Limbo was badass but it pisses some people off.

5 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Hal Hartley:  Trust and The Book of Life.  Hartley also directed some of better episodes of sitcom Red Oaks available on Prime.  Book of Life is a short movie that I've seen on youtube about the end of days

Ha ha.  Yes.  Although I'd leave it at "The Unbelievable Truth" and "Trust".  After that it seems like nothing comes close, although Simple Men may have.

Equilibrium - Christian Bale 

A Vigilante - Olivia Wilde

Soldier - Kurt Russell

Way of the Gun - Benicio Del Toro, Ryan Phillipe 

Harry Browne - Michael Caine

Half Nelson - Ryan Gosling 

Running Scared - Paul Walker 

The Salton Sea - Val Kilmer

Hard Candy - Ellen Page, Patrick Wilson

Pandorum - Dennis Quaid, Ben Foster

Leave No Trace - Ben Foster

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Equilibrium - Christian Bale 

A Vigilante - Olivia Wilde

Soldier - Kurt Russell

Way of the Gun - Benicio Del Toro, Ryan Phillipe 

Harry Browne - Michael Caine

Half Nelson - Ryan Gosling 

Running Scared - Paul Walker 

The Salton Sea - Val Kilmer

Hard Candy - Ellen Page, Patrick Wilson

Pandorum - Dennis Quaid, Ben Foster

Leave No Trace - Ben Foster

It's been quite a while since I've seen this, but I remember thinking it was pretty damn good. Take your rep, sir.

Yeah, I've got a soft spot for Kingdom of Heaven as well.  I respect Ridley Scott films, because he generally does what he wants and doesn't give a shit what the movie execs think. It also gets a bit campy at the end, and I understand the criticism that it's more fanfiction of the Crusades.  But overall it really stirs the emotions thru most of the story.  This one sticks with me because I generally abhor organized religion, and this one beats the drum of the importance of doing what's truly right and what's best for your fellow man...above anything else.

My offerance...Neither "Rushmore," nor "The Royal Tannenbaums" get enough discussion of how perfectly put together they are.

39 minutes ago, freyguy said:

My offerance...Neither "Rushmore," nor "The Royal Tannenbaums" get enough discussion of how perfectly put together they are.

Lol what? Those are like two of the most beloved comedies ever. 

To OP - Primer is a very cool movie. Definitely not underrated but something most people probably haven't seen.

Sunshine has scenes that are fucking horrifying. One of the scarier/more disturbing movies I've seen even though I wouldn't call it a horror film. It's a fun watch though, even if it gets a little silly towards the end. Cillian Murphy is one of my fav actors.

a second for The Talented Mr. Ripley...but i don't know that it was really 'underrated'. Jude Law got an Oscar nod, but Matt Damon deserved one. 

Tequila Sunrise - cheesy 80s thriller, a particular favorite genre of mine. see also:

The Mean Season

Internal Affairs - the one w/ Richard Gere and Andy Garcia

Burn After Reading - lesser known Coen bros, Brad Pitt steals the show, i think it's their flat out funniest movie

Killer Joe - i will never be able to replicate my reaction to the last three minutes lol 

Hostiles  

Jacob's Ladder

i don't know if i got the spirit right or not lol but i also second all of these:

The Master (i miss PSH so much)

A Serious Man

Three Kings

Alpha Dog

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mchookem said:

The Master (i miss PSH so much)

The Master is one of my mom's favorite movies. She grew up in a Jehova's Witness household surrounded by alcoholics. She actually had drinks with PSH's brother a couple of times as they both lost a brother early to addiction.

• Like 1

Come and See (1985)

I came to this very late in the day, probably never having heard of it until 10 years ago.  Made me think there are probably a bunch of Euro-movies on the war that go unseen. I spotted a list of the 10 greatest Russian WWII flicks and this and one other were the only ones I had seen.

• Hook 'Em 1