Underrated Movies

Fud

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

Jackie Brown 

Gets forgotten amongst the rest of QT's films. 

Solid take.  But his most underrated flick was easily "True Romance."  It's his script anyway, and begat so many other wonderful things.  Including the most misunderstood dialogue in Tarantino cinematic history...the Walken/Hopper scene.  To this day, 99% of people don't get what happened there.  

But what a wonderful little picture.  I long to see it again for the first time.  

Solid take.  But his most underrated flick was easily "True Romance."  It's his script anyway, and begat so many other wonderful things.  Including the most misunderstood dialogue in Tarantino cinematic history...the Walken/Hopper scene.  To this day, 99% of people don't get what happened there.  
But what a wonderful little picture.  I long to see it again for the first time.  
Care to explain? It's a great movie and incredible scene, it's been years since I saw it

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

I don't keep up with movies in a way to determine whether they were rated, either over or under.  I catch many movies on HBO, Showtime, Netflix, etc. and watch without knowing anything about them at all.  One movie that standout out that I found that way was Whiplash with JK Simmons.  It came out in 2014 and I probably didn't stumble upon it until 2018-19.  Great movie and JK Simmons is a wonderful actor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I don't keep up with movies in a way to determine whether they were rated, either over or under.  I catch many movies on HBO, Showtime, Netflix, etc. and watch without knowing anything about them at all.  One movie that standout out that I found that way was Whiplash with JK Simmons.  It came out in 2014 and I probably didn't stumble upon it until 2018-19.  Great movie and JK Simmons is a wonderful actor.

He’s an incredible actor.   

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:
37 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:
Whiplash was nominated for best picture. It’s not under rated. 

That's why I gave the caveat. I'd never heard of it and never heard anyone talk about it.

It's not talked about a lot and probably under watched but it couldn't be farther from underrated. It's one of the most critically acclaimed films of the past 10 years and #46 all time on IMDB. 

lol yeah, Whiplash is pretty good 😄

others:

Unlawful Entry - angry Kurt Russell is the best Kurt Russell 

Savages - first post-FNL movie with Taylor Kitsch that was worth watching, Oliver Stone directs

Nocturnal Animals

Skin Deep - 80s John Ritter comedy 

Fright Night - both the original and surprisingly the remake - headed into Halloween season, it's a fun watch 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/20/2020 at 8:31 PM, Lobo said:

Well Siskel, why don't you clue us in on what happened there.

30 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I'll submit Layer Cake.

Young Daniel Craig mid level coke dealer in London just wants to get out the game...

speaking of young daniel craig, i always liked munich.  it was sort of a blockbuster, so you can't really say it slipped in under the radar, but i don't really hear anyone reference it at all.

3 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Breaker Morant.  Way ahead of it’s time.

the singer here is a friend of mine.

i've told the story before, but it is such a great csb that i like any excuse to tell it.  

they filmed this in new south wales and needed extra horses so put out an ad.  he's got several so he answered the call and told them to come pick them up at his farm.  when they arrived, the met the big dude for the first time, saw his facial hair, and said "that's a pretty killer beard.   i guess you can ride too?" they gave him a bit part as a boer soldier riding into combat with a stick of dynamite.  then they figured out he could sing, so they got him to do this scene too. he learned a little afrikaans, and did the singing. that's his voice.

• Like 1

I submit Videodrome as one of my favorite underrated movies.

was going to say Thief but it appears it is highly rated on rotten tomatoes, even though it wasn't a box office success.  Mann is awesome.   

in that vein his first movie was a TV movie called The Jericho Mile. Great movie if you haven't seen it.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Well Siskel, why don't you clue us in on what happened there.

Sorry, nothing sinister nor groundbreaking.  Just something I overheard him say once at a film festival.  Most of y'all have probably figured it out long before I heard it.  It's subtle commentary on his feelings on the Italian Mafia.  Filmmaker guy named Tarantino who worships Scorsese never even attempts a Mob flick...but we see his feelings on the Mob embedded in a few films of his, one of which is "True Romance."  In that movie, two prominent Mobsters make two huge fuckups and we're supposed to laugh at their stupidity.  They rush to intimidation and violence instead of just being thorough.  It happens in a couple of other of his films, but I love the two instances in "True Romance."  

Having said that, I love the two instances of stupidity because they lead us into the two of the three best scenes of the film (the other being the hotel drug buy).  Hopper chooses to antagonize Walken so he'll be killed quickly instead of tortured, right?  It sets up one of the all-time great dialogues in cinematic history about the Moors and the Sicilians.  I love it, I watch it several times a year.  But Tarantino still bakes in a great dig on the Mafia.  The epic showdown of wits, Hopper gets his wish and dies quickly without giving up his son's location, right?  But no...the Italians were too fucking stupid to check the fridge before the interrogation.  It's a 10'x25' trailer and they were too incompetent to check the fridge magnets for notes?  That's Tarantino saying to the audience that the Mob are overly-glorified in movies.  They're actually the dumbest people in the movies and in real life.  Now, Quentin wanted to write that dialogue exchange and I love him for it, but he also wanted us to know those guys are beyond dumb. 

He reminds us one more time before another all-time scene.  Gandolfini and Arquette.  Their fight is an epic showdown in most non-traditional sense.  I love that hotel scene.  She is brave beyond words.  But what leads up to it?  Him being an epic dumbass.  He forgets, and admits to as much, to check under the bed (kinda like the fridge scene).   Again, I love both scenes because they lead up to wonderful showdowns.  But Quentin puts the fuckups in there for two reasons---to setup the dialogue and to demonstrate that Italian mobsters have been made out to be clever for so long when in fact---they are the dumbest fucking people on the planet.  But Quentin loves a good script and writes it as such.  

I wish I could go back and watch "True Romance" for the first time.