Underrated Movies

Fud

16 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Dark City.

Pretty perfect movie with prime Jennifer Connelly. If you haven’t heard of it, don’t read anything about it or watch a trailer. Just go in cold and watch it.

It’s the only film Roger Ebert ever did a full length commentary for as a DVD extra and it was his best film of the year.

Great movie, need to rewatch.

Black Snake Moan - Best thing SLJ did outside of Pulp Fiction.

Walk Hard - My wife hates it, I can't get enough.

Sunshine (was mentioned) - My favorite Boyle movie.

About Time - Bill Nighy was amazing. Also an introduction to Margot Robbie.

Meet Joe Black - Maybe it was bc I had a crush on Claire Forlani from her role in Mallrats, but if this show is on, I'm watching it. Great visuals, music and the back and forth between Pitt and Hopkins is great.

50 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Great movie, need to rewatch.

Black Snake Moan - Best thing SLJ did outside of Pulp Fiction.

Walk Hard - My wife hates it, I can't get enough.

Sunshine (was mentioned) - My favorite Boyle movie.

About Time - Bill Nighy was amazing. Also an introduction to Margot Robbie.

Meet Joe Black - Maybe it was bc I had a crush on Claire Forlani from her role in Mallrats, but if this show is on, I'm watching it. Great visuals, music and the back and forth between Pitt and Hopkins is great.

Walk Hard is a national treasure. I cry laughing every time I see it.

On 9/22/2020 at 12:56 PM, CooterBrown said:

Kingpin is awesome.

Their 3 movie run of Kingpin, Dumb and Dumber, and There's Something About Mary stands up against anyone.

No argument from me.  If Kingpin is on TV, I'm watching it.  And Murray inhabited the Big Ern role.  But critics generally panned it (no surprise for the Farrelly Bros.) and it tends to get overshadowed by their other movies, so I put it on the underrated list.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TexPx said:

Eating Raoul-Paul Bartel

My Bodyguard-Chris Makepeace

The Great Santini-Robert Duvall

Used Cars- Kurt Russell

Little Big Man-Dustin Hoffman

The Tao of Steve-Donal Logue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I liked My Bodyguard.

ohhh i haven't seen Body Double in forever - great pick. for the longest time i thought the lead was Bill Maher! 😄

High Art - drugs, lesbians, artsy shit

Elephant - WARNING: basically an unemotional 'observer' look at a Columbine/Parkland-type incident from varying POVs. it stuck with me a long time. 

Election - Oscar-caliber Reese Witherspoon

Bully - Brad Renfro, feels disturbingly 'real'

Kids - same director, it should also come with a WARNING haha

damn...just realized that's a lot of 'kids are fucked up' movies. if your kids are about to be teenagers, maybe skip this list heh

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 7:00 AM, Nole-4-Life said:

Speaking of Ben Foster...Alpha Dogs.

The movie works because of Harry Dean Stanton, Bruce Willis, Sharon Stone, and Ben Foster are elite actors. Emile Hirsch is perfect as the wannabe tough guy drug dealer. 

The film hits close to home. I played ball with a Johnny Truelove type. Wannabe tough guy that didn’t fit in, but had hanger ons that could be scary if properly motivated. I gave him shit until we were juniors. Then he bought a house on his own and pulled up to school in a new Vette. I decided it probably wasn’t a good idea to mess with somebody like that. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mchookem said:

ohhh i haven't seen Body Double in forever - great pick. for the longest time i thought the lead was Bill Maher! 😄

High Art - drugs, lesbians, artsy shit

Elephant - WARNING: basically an unemotional 'observer' look at a Columbine/Parkland-type incident from varying POVs. it stuck with me a long time. 

Election - Oscar-caliber Reese Witherspoon

Bully - Brad Renfro, feels disturbingly 'real'

Kids - same director, it should also come with a WARNING haha

damn...just realized that's a lot of 'kids are fucked up' movies. if your kids are about to be teenagers, maybe skip this list heh

Elephant & Bully are solid. The bully/kids director also has a movie called Wassup Rockers. The first half of it is very good until it gets weird/stupid. 

Edge of Tomorrow-One of the best sci-fi movies. Blah title sabotaged its box office. Against type Tom Cruise is the best. He plays a pussy early on.

Adaptation-critically well-received in its day, i love how the movie goes meta. Nicholas Cage’s last real acting role? Makes my underrated list because Cage is now a hack but dude could act.

A Knight’s Tale-a whipping boy from shaggy, i just put that in there because i like watching it. People losin their minds about rock music in middle ages.

The Matrix-not underrated in many respects, but was a landmark movie, pre-y2k. Came out right before Phantom Menace, made that look like a children’s cartoon.

2nd on Layer Cake and Semi-Pro.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:10 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Cadillac Man

Quick Change

Pos rep to this.  One of my college roommates and myself are the only people I've ever heard praise "Quick Change."  Such an underrated movie, it's insane.  It's probably Quaid's funniest role, or at least tied with "Christmas Vacation", and Geena Davis was never funnier nor sexier.  And of course, the great Bill Murray played it as perfectly as the role fit him like a glove.  

100% true story.  I know we embellish on this website.  But a few years ago, I'm driving around our old college flophouse in East Austin.  I was leaving a restaurant on the Manor Road corridor and was meandering around the old 'hood.  And not that exact moment, but I was thinking about how we'd go to the Blockbuster video by the Fiesta on IH-35 to rent movies, chief among them being Quick Change.  Several minutes later, I'm driving around in the 'hood behind Star Seed's Cafe and low and behold...there's a Hispanic guy riding a mountain bike carrying a Fiskars pruning saw under his arm.  It's good luck just seeing a thing like that.   /csb

New Nomination:  "The Big Kahuna."  Only 5 total cast members with speaking roles.  Mainly shot in one hotel room.  Easily Devito's best dramatic performance.  Maybe Spacey's as well.  I used to make everybody that ever worked for me who traveled on behalf of our firm watch it before they hit the road.  It speaks to business life on the road, but it goes much, much deeper than that.....speaks to human connection or lack thereof at every turn in life.  Such a perfect little film.  Shit, It think it's 20 years old now.  You can watch it for free online.  It's a quick watch, maybe 80 minutes.  Give it a shot this weekend.  

Edited by Lobo

On 9/22/2020 at 12:45 PM, Bateshorn said:

Dredd with Karl Urban.

I had no expectations for it at all when I downloaded it.  I immediately rewatched it.  It's a fucking shame that it came and went so quickly from the theaters, because I suspect it was one of the few films that properly used 3D when that was all the rage.

Great movie. Drug hallucination special effects were awesome.

It also captured the feel of the Judge Dredd comic.

edit:

Spoiler

Although i have to quibble with the corrupt judges plot twist. Judges are incorruptible in the Judge Dredd universe.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

On 9/22/2020 at 6:16 PM, Lobo said:

Yes, absolutely.  They are over-glamorized in cinema and Quentin knows it.  So he puts them back in their rightful place---incompetent dipshits that literally can't figure their way out a 15' trailer.  Hollywood tends to treat the Mafia as these cleve guys that are one step ahead of law enforcement when they are in fact, barely capable of doing the math on their own vig.  It doesn't make for good cinema though, watching these guys struggle with the math behind a good bookmaking scheme, so they gotta bring in Jews.  Quentin knew this.  That it's the saddest thing watching two Italians do math.  But it makes for great scripts.  I know, I know...Fibonacci.  Great run, they had...500 years ago.  True Romance literally tells us what he thinks about these dumbasses.  

And Galileo, and Leonardo, and Alessandro Volta, Cassini, Avogadro, LaGrange; more recently, Alberto Bressan, Giaconi, Gianotti. The list goes on.

Most people can't figure out interest, even with a calculator, why would you expect to be mobsters able to?

Nothing romantic about beating someone to death instead of just searching the trailer/hotel room. The title of the movie works on another level.

59 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Walk Hard is underrated imo

57%
AUDIENCE SCORE
User Ratings: 303,029

I've found it to be pretty beloved in the circle of public opinion. I've never sat down with anyone who hasn't seen it and had them not be instantly sucked in. 

It's a top tier comedy. It may have been somewhat overlooked on release but I don't think it still flies under many people's radars.

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Edge of Tomorrow-One of the best sci-fi movies. Blah title sabotaged its box office. Against type Tom Cruise is the best. He plays a pussy early on.

I think I’ve read before—maybe on the shag—that this movie is very underrated and actually pretty awesome.  anyone else feel like it’s a good step above what it seems to be from the trailer?

6 minutes ago, futureman said:

I think I’ve read before—maybe on the shag—that this movie is very underrated and actually pretty awesome.  anyone else feel like it’s a good step above what it seems to be from the trailer?

I'm betting it was xtejas' cool friends that told you.

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't know if it's underrated or just unknown, or maybe neither, but I have always immensely enjoyed Dog Soldiers.

fullwidth.8d3f3c8e.jpg

How could you not love this?

Totally forgot about that movie. It's great.

Also, someone mentioned Danny Boyle films up thread and his first one, Shallow Grave, is forgotten about. It's really good.