Underrated Movies

Fud

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Here's another forgotten one that I haven't seen in probably 15 years. Always loved it but I don't know if it would still hold up since it was such a product of its time and place.

215px-Go_1999_film.jpg

I met Jay Mohr at the St Regis in Houston. One helluva a nice guy. His bits about similar hates with your wife and HGTV are greatness.

Time After Time -  Malcolm McDowell chasing Jack The Ripper in 2oth century SF. 
Exorcist III
Body Double
The Stuntman
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
Bad Boys - Sean Penn

Forgot about Time after Time. Great Sci Fi/ Crime drama. If I remember correctly Mary Steenburgen was pretty hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Margin Call is the best financial/wall st movie ever made.  Stanley Tucci rocked it.  Jeremy Irons was a baddd motherfucker.

Yet:

(1) only netted $5m domestically - how?

(2) was made with $3.5m budget - how?  how do you pay for spacey, tucci, irons, bettany, quinto, AND demi moore on that budget?

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 10:32 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

The movie works because of Harry Dean Stanton, Bruce Willis, Sharon Stone, and Ben Foster are elite actors. Emile Hirsch is perfect as the wannabe tough guy drug dealer. 

The film hits close to home. I played ball with a Johnny Truelove type. Wannabe tough guy that didn’t fit in, but had hanger ons that could be scary if properly motivated. I gave him shit until we were juniors. Then he bought a house on his own and pulled up to school in a new Vette. I decided it probably wasn’t a good idea to mess with somebody like that. 

For the longest time, I thought I was the only one that liked Alpha Dog. Thanks, surly.

On 9/22/2020 at 12:45 PM, Bateshorn said:

Dredd with Karl Urban.

I had no expectations for it at all when I downloaded it.  I immediately rewatched it.  It's a fucking shame that it came and went so quickly from the theaters, because I suspect it was one of the few films that properly used 3D when that was all the rage.

One of my all time favorite movies. The scene where they shot up an entire floor with a gattling gun and after he walks out of the dark and throws one of the guys off the balcony is one of my favorite scenes in any action movie.

• Like 1

For the longest time, I thought I was the only one that liked Alpha Dog. Thanks, surly.

I have been a fan of Alpha Dog since it came out. I am still confused as to why they changed the detail of where he fled the country (went to Brazil and I think the movie claimed he went to Paraguay).

It’s been a minute since I watched it, but a similar movie is “Bully”.

11 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Good one there.

Has Blood Diamonds been mentioned?  Good plot, great characters and peak Connelly.

I enjoyed that one because I have a peculiar fascination for the African communist wars that backgrounded Leo and Vosloo's characters.

Same with Siege of Jadotville.

On 10/2/2020 at 7:35 AM, 52-80 said:

Margin Call is the best financial/wall st movie ever made.  Stanley Tucci rocked it.  Jeremy Irons was a baddd motherfucker.

Yet:

(1) only netted $5m domestically - how?

(2) was made with $3.5m budget - how?  how do you pay for spacey, tucci, irons, bettany, quinto, AND demi moore on that budget?

I enjoy it too.  

before I’d ever seen It I watched the senior meeting scene a dozen times on YouTube. I really like the feel of that scene.  I didn’t know what the situation was but you could tell a lot with the lighting and colors. You could feel the exhaustion of everyone. 

one negative is that it is the sort of movie where you can tell it is too aware it’s trying to be super intellectual 

14 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have been a fan of Alpha Dog since it came out. I am still confused as to why they changed the detail of where he fled the country (went to Brazil and I think the movie claimed he went to Paraguay).

It’s been a minute since I watched it, but a similar movie is “Bully”.

I also liked Bully. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I actually rewatched it this morning. Definitely has a “Kids” vibe which is understandable. The movie is dark and shows how dumb and irrational teenagers are.

Man, it's been probably about 10 years ago that I watched it. Need to rewatch. Where did you find it? 

Man, it's been probably about 10 years ago that I watched it. Need to rewatch. Where did you find it? 

It’s on Amazon Prime.

Which reminds me, I am guessing most everyone here has subscriptions to multiple streaming services. It’s a pain to search them all for a movie, so I use a website called justwatch.com which searches them all for you.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It’s on Amazon Prime.

Which reminds me, I am guessing most everyone here has subscriptions to multiple streaming services. It’s a pain to search them all for a movie, so I use a website called justwatch.com which searches them all for you.

Just Watch also has a phone app. It’s really useful.
  • Like 1

Shattered Glass. Very good snapshot of late 90’s media transformation. Along with deterioration of hard news in favor of infotainment and lies. Hayden Christianson perfectly cast.

Lords of Dogtown - Another Emile Hirsch movie along with an iconic Heath Ledger performance. Documents transformation of surfers to skaters in SoCal

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I don't want to watch that movie again because it was such a great movie. I'm afraid it didn't age well and I don't want to believe it.

I've seen it many times, and think its an ageless movie. It captures a time, place, and tells a great story. I think it's just as strong today.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Threw it on yesterday afternoon because I just wanted something mindless to watch. 

Kicking and Screaming is a pretty good comedy, especially for being rated PG and "kid friendly".

The scene between Ditka and his wife where he's smoking in the house is hysterical.

• 2 weeks later...

That Fox did that garbage movie and still convinced studio execs and McInerney that he could follow it up with "Bright Lights Big City" is nothing short of a miracle.  

Speaking of coke-fueled pictures set in New York...I'll submit as an underrated film..."London."  A cast populated by primarily popcorn movie types (Statham, Chris Evans, Biel, et. al.)...it takes place mainly in two rooms (with flashbacks).  It's gritty and depressing and claustrophobic.  But the dialogue is smart while being real.  NO big reveals at the end, it just ends as shitty as most real life stories do.  Watch it drunk.  

On 10/7/2020 at 3:29 PM, Cheeseweasel said:

I don't want to watch that movie again because it was such a great movie. I'm afraid it didn't age well and I don't want to believe it.

And if you don't like it the 2nd time you might want a refund.

"We're poor but we're happy" may be the most quoted paraphrased line in our family.

(Bought this bad boy about a week after I say the flick...Raleigh Super Grand Prix - after many discussions regarding center vs. side-pull brakes, and sew ups vs. high pressure clinchers.)

img_2783-jpg.307934

On 9/27/2020 at 4:46 AM, RPM said:

Larry Crowne. Not sure exactly what it is that draws me to this movie, but I'll watch it every time it's on. Great cast, great story, underrated.

That movie to me showed how out of touch Hollywood is with regular people.  Hanks wrote/directed this masterpiece about a stock supervisor at a retail shit store living solo in a sweet $2M house.  Awful.