Tulsa @ #11 Oklahoma State, 11AM, ESPN

texifornia

10 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Just glad the starting QB for OSU got hurt vs Tulsa than vs Texas. Whenever Texas knocks a starting QB out it seems like the backup always just pistol whips the Horns. 
Now UT gets some film on the freshman. 

And then goes on to win the Heisman. 

let’s see off the top of my head: White, Crouch, Bradford... who am I missing?

4 hours ago, Homercles said:

All I want to know is why Bullock was in the game at all.  Illingworth was always the backup, a heralded 4* recruit that clearly fit the offense better...once again Gundy loyalty to practice performance was a head shaker and almost cost us a game against a bad Tulsa team.  Stupid.  

I’ve stood up for him in the past on the qb issue thinking it can’t be that easy, but goddamn it’s a pattern. I couldn’t watch but on the radio they said Illingsworth had like 10 drives all camp because of injury or COVID (they weren’t specific) but he looked good for a true freshman especially if he hasn’t been able to practice much. Again didn’t watch but Bullock sounded like he sucked serious donkey balls. Our own radio guys were pretty much saying he sucked in radio guy phrases.

Edited by 'stache

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I’ve stood up for him in the past on the qb issue thinking it can’t be that easy, but goddamn it’s a pattern. I couldn’t watch but on the radio they said Illingsworth had like 10 drives all camp because of injury or COVID (they weren’t specific) but he looked good for a true freshman especially if he hasn’t been able to practice much. Again didn’t watch but Bullock sounded like he sucked serious donkey balls. Our own radio guys were pretty much saying he sucked in radio guy phrases.

Bullock had zero mobility and was far from making up for it with any special arm talent.

I do think he suffered from the Tulsa DL still being fresh - Illingworth was able to take advantage of an exhausted defense, and Wallace finally seeming to get his shit together.

47 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Bullock had zero mobility and was far from making up for it with any special arm talent.

I do think he suffered from the Tulsa DL still being fresh - Illingworth was able to take advantage of an exhausted defense, and Wallace finally seeming to get his shit together.

Bullock looked overwhelmed and shell-shocked.  The moment seemed too big for him...

Not sure promoting their WR coach to OC was a good move either.

Edited by LTtxfan

So Illingworth was held back as he didn’t practice, apparently part of a covid contact trace that kept him in quarantine.  His very first play was a fade to Wallace that was a thing of beauty, and that allows the run game to actually get going.  

Bullock was apparently playing with an injured shoulder, but he held onto the ball way too long or ran backward towards the sideline.  He looked panicked when his first option wasn’t open, but did move the ball a few times on easier slants where he could set his feet.  I hope we don’t see him again...feel for the kid but he was a journeyman for a reason.  

Again Gundy favored guys who put out in practice, but this game would have been way different if Shane had been in after Sanders went down...he apparently has a high ankle sprain so it’ll be a few weeks.  

Like all Poke fans I had a Dax Garman vs Mason Rudolph moment there...or yes, Cate vs Weeden.  Dax was a statue that could throw that football over them mountains but not a wheel route in the flat, and Cate was just not built for playing D1 football.  Gundy obviously took too long to pull them and his loyalty burned us, putting Rudolph in late in the season lead to the stopgap Corndog year so I can see why he was hesitant.  

We need a pocket passer much more than we need another JW Walsh...whom I will forever adore as he almost beat FSU, had a knack for finding the end zone and gave his heart to the program.  Sanders can extend plays with his legs but will get killed, and still locks onto his primary receiver.  We have arguably the best WR in the conference and I don’t want to see Landon Wolf wasted...so I want a gunslinger and not a dual threat guy distributing the ball, which means I’m sure sanders will come back soon, get eviscerated and we will play ping pong with our qbs all season getting no really rhythm. 

Defense looked legit even though it was Tulsa, holding anyone to 0 third down conversions is impressive and what won us the game.  Chuba better step it up because LD came to play.  The kicker looked nails on all three FGs and no ST gaffes.  OL was trash and got beat a few times by 3 on 5, but looked a lot better towards the 4th when Bullock wasn’t in the pocket having his brain perform illegal operations and shutting down.  

Overall I think it’s a different game with Illingworth in, but a w is a w and we avoided a serious shit fest to open the ‘season’.  #11 always felt too high and I think Texas/OU will likely curb stomp us but #3 in conference seems achievable as a goal.  Gotta see how they perform against real opponents but a reliable defense is a rare luxury that might turn in another 2013 season.  At halftime I was thinking we weren’t going to make a bowl so right now I’ll take it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

What about your play-calling by new OC??

I’m obviously biased but I’m not going to fault him trying to develop two new game plans on the fly for a guy less mobile than Stephen Hawking and a rusty 4* freshman.  No matter the OC we fall in love with running it into the teeth of defenses, which worked ok last year but everyone targets Chuba now...I think it’s a Gundy staple.  

Dana ain’t coming back through those doors, Monken doesn’t seem interested, and we all hated on Yurchich occasionally but a lot of Texas peeps seem enamored already.  So we will give Dunn his chance and see.  I’ll reserve judgement for a game that isn’t pure survival mode.  

Never said I hated him, just reflecting on the overall fan base and a (mostly) misguided sentiment in our offensive shortcomings.  I think it stems from a few things:

1) We were spoiled.  Holgerson as an innovative OC brought about an aggression that the program had lacked and the ability to improvise creatively with the diamond formation being a notable one.  Melting air raid concepts with a competent run game along with an easily teachable (to the right quarterback) system of relatively few plays that stretches the field in two dimensions was a good way to exploit skill players.  Todd Monken took it to the next level with a few future NFL stars and even more aggressive play calling that often paid off.  

Also think in those days Gundy was still working for permanence at OSU and therefore rightly delegated to his OC after being burnt out on calling plays himself.  Y’all know that doesn’t really work out long term for the program.  

2) Yurchich was stupidly derided by fans due to his lower division roots and silly LEGO video showing how plays were drawn up.  Gundy was looking for some continuity and rightly figured loyalty would come with a big payday and Upper division exposure.  It wasn’t fair but everyone has a voice on the internet.  

3) Gundy is stubborn and always thinks he’s right.  His penchant for running up the gut frequently has been evident across multiple coordinators and thus is obviously his influence being exerted over the plays.  Combined with his insistence on precision balance between run and pass forces the hand of the OC.  Obviously that wasn’t evident yesterday and we got burned for 2.5 quarters where the QB was ineffective.  

I like Mike Yurchich, he was generally a class act bd obviously has talent given he’s been to tOSU and now Texas.  Given the much higher recruitment ceiling at Texas I’m sure he will succeed.  Again I feel most of his shortcomings were due to Gundy...TE is perennially under utilized in a Gundy program despite the penchant for flex/cowboy backs, I barely ever see passes over the middle, and the ever present dive plays are a beating that transcends most play callers.  Dana probably had a lot of success by being confident to tell Gundy to fuck off, and Monken has Weeden who held a lot of authority over making changes at the line on his own.  

My beef has always been with Gundy wherein I wish he’d play the ceo role of delegation and trust with his coordinators.  Also wish he wasn’t such a country boy OAN supporter out of touch with his players.  He says dumb shit.  He’s probably in more of a coasting stage of his career.  

Then again we went 3-8, 4-7, 5-6 and 5-6 my four years there in rustoleum stadium at a school in a quiet corner of Oklahoma with no budget or cache with recruits.  Eddie Sutton isn’t coming back to life to coach Desmond Mason, wrestling / golf / equestrian don’t draw in fans, and baseball is one of my favorite sports to watch but getting to Omaha isn’t the same as making the 4-team playoffs.  So I’ll take it in, enjoy the ride and limit my hate to OU.  Hopefully most fans can do the same and root for Yurchich outside of Texas/OSU games.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

On 9/20/2020 at 8:45 AM, A’Dam Psycho said:

Why do OSU fans hate Yurcich so much?

Mostly because they never got over 2014 when we were awful for about 6 games in a row before Gundy finally pulled Mason Rudolph's redshirt.

Of course, none of that was his fault.  We lost our starting QB to injury in game 2 and then proceeded to play a guy who had no business being a Big 12 backup QB, let alone starter.  Not to mention that the offensive line was awful.

Of course he proceeded to pump out elite offenses every year after that, but every time we lost a game 52-49 or some shit, it was always Yurcich's fault.