Amy Coney Barrett

Anastasis

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Trump may think his appointees are going to help him out on some personal level, but, as with many things, he's smoking fucking crack.

Unless Trump's "personal needs" line up with a "winning" legal position, these Justices, with their lifetime appointments, give not one single fuck about Donald J. Trump.  See Trump v. Mazar's and Trump v. Vance, where the only help he got was from crazy-ass Thomas and crazy-ass Alito.

I agree with this 100 percent. I have no idea whether or not she will help trump steal the election. I hope she won’t. 

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Trump may think his appointees are going to help him out on some personal level, but, as with many things, he's smoking fucking crack.

Unless Trump's "personal needs" line up with a "winning" legal position, these Justices, with their lifetime appointments, give not one single fuck about Donald J. Trump.  See Trump v. Mazar's and Trump v. Vance, where the only help he got was from crazy-ass Thomas and crazy-ass Alito.

Well he’s adding crazy ass number three so the margins are certainly narrowing.

Literally every single Christian alive holds some level of esteem for a book that says that men are above women. Every single one of them.

This is such a stupid fucking fight but of course the Dems will take it and lose and look terrible and continue to be fuckups. If the Dems want to wage war on sincere religiosity I'm ready to fight alongside them, but they won't. They'll weasel-word and half-ass and lose and fail and suck.

Just fucking WIN and then do every legal thing you can to enforce your will once you've won.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

That makes no sense.  I get what you're saying, but it's semantic.  The remainder of the act is in no way "unconstitutional", so the argument is that the means by which it was passed renders it unconstitutional, since as it stands now it would not make it through the process?

The senate version of the original bill was “deemed passed” by the house, a procedural move. This can only be done for certain measures related to the budget and taxation (house’s power of the purse). IIRC from schoolhouse rock, when the senate and house versions of a bill differ, they have to meet and write a compromise bill that each chamber has to then vote up or down

Pelosi knew an on the record yes vote on the senate version would be devastating to many moderate dems, and could not whip enough dem votes to ensure it passing a vote on the floor. 

She didn’t think the changes required to make it acceptable to the vulnerable dems would pass in the senate. So she deemed it passed as a budgetary measure. The procedural maneuver she used is only valid if the ACA is a tax, which the SC ruled it was. 

Now the republicans are using procedural shenanigans to make it not a tax. If it’s not a tax it is not a legitimate law

We get the government we deserve 

I’m thinking the dems take the senate. If so just reinstate the penalty and it’s a tax again

If not and the republicans successfully get rid of ACA without replacing it 2022 will be an absolute bloodbath for them

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Ok. Fine. Her lack of judicial experience, her lack of actual real law experience, combined with her views on abortion and the ACA make her unqualified for the Supreme Court. 

She’s going to be confirmed anyway. Trump thinks she will help her steal the election.  It’s inevitable. 

Just wrong.  Go back to fruit of poisonous tree argument. 

39 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I didn't know miscarriage was a crime. 

If a parent performed an action, or failed to perform an action, even if it is inadvertent, that resulted in the death of their toddler, that person would certainly be facing the risk of being charged with a crime.   Therefore if a fetus is a person at conception, then a woman, even if she doesn’t know she is pregnant, performs  an action or fails to perform an action which results in miscarriage should also be potentially criminally prosecuted.   An example would be a women who is unaware of her 2 week pregnancy going  out to a bar and drinking too much resulting in a miscarriage.  That is unless we are going to treat “fetus persons” differently than “post born persons”.  

• Hook 'Em 3

On 9/20/2020 at 7:01 AM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Growing up, "charismatic" was code for the speaking in tongues types.  The "led by the Holy Spirit" following line would emphasize the same. Kenneth Copeland stuff.  Pat Robertson stuff. Benny Hinn.  

You ever see the movie "Bible Camp?"  To me, those are charismatics.  These days they get lumped in with evangelicals and honestly I don't care anymore about the distinctions.  I remember being sent to camps like those kids "Bible Camp."  I remember my at the time my roughly 9 year old  (don't recall the exact year) brother being pulled to the front of one of those charismatic services and having the hands laid on him in order to "receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."  If you didn't start babbling in tongues, then no Holy Ghost.  They pulled my brother aside and asked him what sin was in his life that was preventing him from receiving the gift.

This has nothing to do necessarily with her nomination as they're going to get some Federalist corporate bootlicker on the bench either way.  But if you told me my surgeon was a charismatic, I'd find another surgeon.  If my pilot announced he was charismatic, I'd try to get off the plane.  It is one thing to believe in a higher power and being kind to your neighbor.  It is another thing to fall prey to the charlatans that populate the charismatic faith-based "non-demoninational" movements.

My best friend went to visit his relatives out in the Kansas sticks, near OK, in middle school and they belonged to one of these churches and drug him to it and forced him up front. He said he just started saying ridiculous things in Spanish and they went nuts thinking the Holy Spirit really had hold of him since they all only spoke English. 

In the Philippines abortion is illegal, but it is still common because so many medications now can cause abortions if taken by a pregnant woman.   It is easier for them to access these meds as a lot of things requiring a prescription in the USA are sold over the counter in the PI. You will see a black market for these meds here if Roe v Wade is ever overturned. The genie is out of the bottle. I'd rather abortions happen under medical supervision than without it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jhawkmvp said:

You will see a black market for these meds here if Roe v Wade is ever overturned. The genie is out of the bottle. I'd rather abortions happen under medical supervision than without it.

If Roe is overturned, it may only mean that it will be deferred to the states.

And even if that's not the case, people with enough money and connections will still be able to get abortions if needed. So, like many things, it will only be illegal for the poor.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Good post.  But just because it's ahistorical doesn't mean it's a silly argument.

Too many of the justices, in my opinion anyway, come from non-judicial and governmental positions.

Moar judicial and moar private practice, especially not biglaw practice (that's probably unavoidable, but something other than their appellate/supreme court practice), pls.

Kagan had zero experience but is extremely intelligent. Scalia recommended her if I recall correctly. I prefer intelligent, fair, impartial. 

24 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Kagan had zero experience but is extremely intelligent. Scalia recommended her if I recall correctly. I prefer intelligent, fair, impartial. 

None of them would have the academic credentials they have without being pretty intelligent, if not extremely intelligent.  Clarence Thomas at times makes you doubt that, but it's really not a lack of intelligence, he's just kind of fucked in the head.  

This does raise a kind of interesting point that ties into the whole qualification thing.  Anyone who went to law school knows that there are "legal idiot savants" that excel at law school but don't have the sense God gave little green apples.

In most law firms, those people are not going to succeed.  There are other areas of legal employment, such as the government, or academia, or think tanks, or some other "policy position," where they can survive if not thrive.  I wonder how many of those we've got on the Court.  I suspect Thomas is one.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

None of them would have the academic credentials they have without being pretty intelligent, if not extremely intelligent.  Clarence Thomas at times makes you doubt that, but it's really not a lack of intelligence, he's just kind of fucked in the head.  

This does raise a kind of interesting point that ties into the whole qualification thing.  Anyone who went to law school knows that there are "legal idiot savants" that excel at law school but don't have the sense God gave little green apples.

In most law firms, those people are not going to succeed.  There are other areas of legal employment, such as the government, or academia, or think tanks, or some other "policy position," where they can survive if not thrive.  I wonder how many of those we've got on the Court.  I suspect Thomas is one.

What? This a phrase I've never heard.

On 9/26/2020 at 6:28 PM, Kermit said:

But does she have a big vagina?

5QvoPAH7.jpg

On 9/26/2020 at 6:32 PM, Anastasis said:

clown car, or so we have been told by the tolerant folks up thread. 

that's me, and I never, ever claimed to be "tolerant".  and yes, it's a fucking clown car/hot dog hallway situation

On 9/26/2020 at 7:05 PM, elfenix said:

did you need a "gil banged" in there somewhere?

fuck off.

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Us doctor types call a miscarriage a spontaneous abortion

Yeah well, what do you fancy "science" assholes know?   

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Explain the difference if God is the one doing it? Every miscarriage is God aborting a baby is it not?

Every death is God killing someone. He even let his own begotten son die. I don't know why it happens, but I know that one is a choice on us, and the other is God's choice. 

5 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Every death is God killing someone. He even let his own begotten son die. I don't know why it happens, but I know that one is a choice on us, and the other is God's choice. 

Oh ok. So God chooses you commit abortions? So why are you against them then? 
Seems like a real standup guy this God character. I mean if it’s such an awful horrible thing to kill a baby you’d think the person you worship would be above that sorta thing right?

Have you ever heard of Epicurus? Perhaps you should.

Edited by hobbes2702

Oh ok. So God chooses you commit abortions? So why are you against them then? 
Seems like a real standup guy this God character. I mean if it’s such an awful horrible thing to kill a baby you’d think the person you worship would be above that sorta thing right?

Cause of the no murder clause.

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Cause of the no murder clause.

Oh so God is more like the GOP then. Laws for thee not for me. Makes sense now. Doesn’t answer my question though about why God seems to like killing babies so much.

Why would you worship someone you’re better than? Unless you kill babies also?

Edited by hobbes2702

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I'll just look for that verse where he talks about his love of killing babies. I'll get back to you when I find it.

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

You worship someone who is all powerful correct? It’s reasonable to wonder why he kills babies if he can prevent it from happening. So why does he kill babies?

Just now, workswithseed said:

He killed the whole world but one family. This isn't new territory. He chooses, we don't.

Right. I believe the whole world thing had a specific reason at least, as though that somehow makes it better. What’s the specific reason he has for aborting babies? 

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Right. I believe the whole world thing had a specific reason at least, as though that somehow makes it better. What’s the specific reason he has for aborting babies? 

You're asking me to explain why he does things. I like the story of Job. God let's everything bad happen to him, and Job was never told why, but he never forsaken God. If you're gonna ask why God aborts kids, I don't know like I said before, but it's on us to figure how to deal with them. 

4 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

You're asking me to explain why he does things. I like the story of Job. God let's everything bad happen to him, and Job was never told why, but he never forsaken God. If you're gonna ask why God aborts kids, I don't know like I said before, but it's on us to figure how to deal with them. 

Yes. I’m asking you to explain things. When you’re in support of taking the rights of citizens away you should have to explain why. You can’t. Which is the point.

Yes. I’m asking you to explain things. When you’re in support of taking the rights of citizens away you should have to explain why. You can’t. Which is the point.

So if God does it, then it's okay for us to do abortions? I'm not understanding what you want me to say. God is pretty strict on us not killing each other, but he turned a woman to pillar of salt, and instantly killed a man for wasting his cum. 

8 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

So if God does it, then it's okay for us to do abortions? I'm not understanding what you want me to say. God is pretty strict on us not killing each other, but he turned a woman to pillar of salt, and instantly killed a man for wasting his cum. 

That’s what I’m asking. Is there a don’t abort clause or are you saying abortion is always murder? You said there is a murder clause, does this fall under it?

7 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

If a parent performed an action, or failed to perform an action, even if it is inadvertent, that resulted in the death of their toddler, that person would certainly be facing the risk of being charged with a crime.   Therefore if a fetus is a person at conception, then a woman, even if she doesn’t know she is pregnant, performs  an action or fails to perform an action which results in miscarriage should also be potentially criminally prosecuted.   An example would be a women who is unaware of her 2 week pregnancy going  out to a bar and drinking too much resulting in a miscarriage.  That is unless we are going to treat “fetus persons” differently than “post born persons”.  

Realized I forgot to quote this in my last post as the example.

Edited by hobbes2702

If this all does come to pass, women should be able to request that docs remove the clump of cells at whichever stage they wish, immediately give it up for adoption to the state, and let Mother Nature take it from there, with the state paying all costs to keep it alive. No one’s body should be used against their will to sustain someone else’s life. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Sure, right after you point out and quote all the "fuckers arguing facts and science" on this thread. 

I qualify that as anyone arguing the Bible is bullshit.  Feel free to provide any proof it isn’t.  I won’t hold my breath, champ.  

edit:  if you don’t post some ‘how is the eyeball even possible?!’ type shit I’ll be highly disappointed...

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1