Make A Guess On Cost To Repair This.

ROFL BOX

Supposedly it needs a new radiator and I don't know if there is anything else structurally wrong with it.

My mom is considering a purchase on this Santa Fe, I have no idea how old it is.

Other than the putrid maroon color, it might be a deal.81b2a38061da79567d1d718debf45fb1.jpg76b3d203741d827fd3457750424a4a97.jpgb81970830f207ef197e30f4fa42d4876.jpg4ed9816f148490a76e76d8d59efa16cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Purchasing a wrecked vehicle...bold move bud. There are so many things that you just can't see until it is put on a machine. You say radiator but why, core support bent? Electrics fans push into radiator I assume or vice a versa. Airbags go off? Just a fender bender?

Hard to tell buy I'd start at $5K easy, body work is about $100 an hour and that adds up very quickly.

At a minimum, you are looking at a new bumper cover (either OEM,  salvage or generic part) along with any trim that mounts to it (the black strip underneath the radiator opening).

Then, labor for installation, paint and supplies.  Also, hood.  It looks like shit, but only because the clear is peeling off.  It needs painted.  Are we talking about R&R on the hood as well, or just leaving it as is?   In order for this to look decent at all, the paint on the bumper cover will need to be blended into each fender and hood.

46 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Purchasing a wrecked vehicle...bold move bud. There are so many things that you just can't see until it is put on a machine. Airbags go off? Just a fender bender?

This.  Low end cars like that do not take wrecks very well.  It takes very little to damage the frame.  I'm not sure it would be a deal if she got it for free.

I had a somewhat shady friend a few years ago via work.  The kind of guy who could get you anything within an hour.  His side hustle was buying wrecked cars with air bag deployments because he had a guy who could fix that on the cheap.  He openly acknowledged that he had no idea if the airbags would actually function again, and I got the impression that they probably wouldn’t, but his guy could get the car to pass inspection.  He told me he usually cleared a couple of grand each time.   Be careful buying wrecked cars.

Supposedly the damage was caused via collision with a deer. I looked in the cab & there was no sign of an airbag deployment.

My Mom needs basic transportation & a total repaint isn't needed.

Groceries, go to Mass, occasional meet & greet with friends, trip to CVS, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t buy an used car with the idea of paying someone much to fix it. And when you say fix, do you just mean replace the radiator or are you talking about the body work? If the vehicle is about getting from A to B, then the body work may not matter. Just keep it running a couple of years. 

I replaced my old explorers radiator for $100 for the actual radiator. Bought the replacement from pep boys. A few YouTube videos later I was able to do it myself. I may have spent another 25-40 on tools and coolant.  If you’re replacing the radiator, you might as well replace the thermostat and potentially the hoses. The coolant will be drained so it’s a good time to knock out those repairs.

you might find a shade tree mechanic that will do it for a few hundred if you supply the parts.

how much does a basic junker go for? $2000?

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

how much does a basic junker go for? $2000?

Assuming the info @TwiceHorn provided isn't related too badly to the radiator, that's easily within my wheelhouse.  I haven't looked up the part (because I don't know the year on this one), but yeah - I'm hoping $ 125 with fluid shouldn't be too far out of range.

I'm definitely gonna need a lot more info on this ride before I advise Mom on what to do.  I don't even know how long it's been sitting & if the injectors are clogged like South Austin's mom on payday.

5 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Assuming the info @TwiceHorn provided isn't related too badly to the radiator, that's easily within my wheelhouse.  I haven't looked up the part (because I don't know the year on this one), but yeah - I'm hoping $ 125 with fluid shouldn't be too far out of range.

I'm definitely gonna need a lot more info on this ride before I advise Mom on what to do.  I don't even know how long it's been sitting & if the injectors are clogged like South Austin's mom on payday.

I really don't know anymore than what I said and I have lost track of that paralegal, so I can't easily find more.  Probably shouldn't have said anything.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Phun Phact: Bondo is not what you want to use to patch a hole in a motorcycle gas tank #ThinksWeLearnedThatWeWouldn'tHaveHadToLearnExceptWeWereYoungMorons

• 1 year later...

Revisiting this. 2007, I think. Santa Fe for those who haven't read in from the start.

Mom got this [other person's problem] for $ 100... the other old lady just wanted to give it away & Mom felt obligated to give her something.

Anyhow, Old Lady # 1 ("seller") says she never got a remote fob for it. Connecting cables to the battery sets off the alarm, non stop.

Won't - go - off.

Stealership wants the vehicle brought to them, which means a minimum round trip of tow trucking & obv. they will try to talk her into having the other stuff done onsite.

I called a locksmith that did a programming on my 04 Cummins... hasn't called me back yet. With no available fob, is this something the locksmith can handle? I figure I would get 2; unsure if it is a chipped key, get 3 of those.

Whatcha know, Shag²?

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Revisiting this. 2007, I think. Santa Fe for those who haven't read in from the start.

Mom got this [other person's problem] for $ 100... the other old lady just wanted to give it away & Mom felt obligated to give her something.

Anyhow, Old Lady # 1 ("seller") says she never got a remote fob for it. Connecting cables to the battery sets off the alarm, non stop.

Won't - go - off.

Stealership wants the vehicle brought to them, which means a minimum round trip of tow trucking & obv. they will try to talk her into having the other stuff done onsite.

I called a locksmith that did a programming on my 04 Cummins... hasn't called me back yet. With no available fob, is this something the locksmith can handle? I figure I would get 2; unsure if it is a chipped key, get 3 of those.

Whatcha know, Shag²?

To get rid of alarm going on I've read two things that work:

1) Lock and unlock the driver door using the key

2) Put the key in and switching the ignition on. Don't try and start the engine, just leave the ignition on and see if that disarms the system. It takes 60 secs or so, so be patient (I'm sure your neighbors are gonna love you :)).

Locksmith should be able to get you new keys/fobs and I doubt the fob is chipped being 2007.

how much did getting the damage in the OP "fixed" cost?
Hasn't been attended to.

My buddy & I think mechanically the radiator might be the only issue.

Will worry about cosmetics once it is operable... cannot do any of that until this alarm issue is handled.

@ROFL BOX

when I bought my 250 it only came with one key/fob. The dealer had their independent key guy (locksmith?) on site that day and he had the correct type and set it in a few minutes.  But he did have the one to work from.  But I don’t believe it would be a dealership only fix. 

also she overpaid for a 15 year old Santa Fe. 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

@ROFL BOX

when I bought my 250 it only came with one key/fob. The dealer had their independent key guy (locksmith?) on site that day and he had the correct type and set it in a few minutes.  But he did have the one to work from.  But I don’t believe it would be a dealership only fix. 

also she overpaid for a 15 year old Santa Fe. 

Quick intergoogle research indicates that there's no way to program the fobs without a "scanner," or dedicated tool for such things.

8 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

To get rid of alarm going on I've read two things that work:

1) Lock and unlock the driver door using the key

2) Put the key in and switching the ignition on. Don't try and start the engine, just leave the ignition on and see if that disarms the system. It takes 60 secs or so, so be patient (I'm sure your neighbors are gonna love you :)).

Locksmith should be able to get you new keys/fobs and I doubt the fob is chipped being 2007.

Yeah, some combination of these things (including doing so with the driver's door both open and closed) will probably turn off the alarm eventually. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom