Active QBs in FBS with 9k passing yds: Buechele, Ehlinger

ztejas

That's it. That's the list.

Not sure what the takeaway is other than that Shane has found maybe the perfect transfer path in bringing a horribly maligned SMU program back from the dead. 

And due to the covid "waiver" both of these guys could come back for another season. So maybe we could center the thread around that - do either of them return, and if so, would it help their NFL stock? Where do we think each would be drafted as of now?

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Neither of them has much of an NFL career waiting for them. They should aspire to Colt McCoy. I wouldn’t let getting started on that keep me from a victory lap as the QB at my dream school if I was Sam. I have no idea what Boo wants to do with his life and of finishing a graduate degree will drastically change that, but my thought is if I’m him I’m pretty indifferent to SMU but who know- the hot blonds go on for days and I’m sure he’s like the butcher at the meat counter making them take a number so maybe he sticks around. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Neither of them has much of an NFL career waiting for them. They should aspire to Colt McCoy. I wouldn’t let getting started on that keep me from a victory lap as the QB at my dream school if I was Sam. I have no idea what Boo wants to do with his life and of finishing a graduate degree will drastically change that, but my thought is if I’m him I’m pretty indifferent to SMU but who know- the hot blonds go on for days and I’m sure he’s like the butcher at the meat counter making them take a number so maybe he sticks around. 

Shane doesn't have NFL size but he has an NFL arm. He throws a better deep ball than Sam, and he's gotten to be pretty slippery in the pocket. Sam is still a better decision maker I think but that has never kept an NFL team from taking a flyer. Shane's ceiling is probably journeyman with some decent starting years mixed in. He's not as much of a gamer than Colt but he's a little bigger for his height and has a better arm. I'm not convinced that Ehlinger couldn't be a pretty damn good starter at the next level. We'll have to see what he has in store the rest of this season. 

Here are the highlights from yesterday against UNT - granted their defense is terrible but Shane is putting some interesting stuff on film. 

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i haven't watched but 3 quarters of an SMU game in the past 2 years but NFL arm is not how i would describe it. 

Same.  He's definitely behind Sam in terms of what the NFL is looking for.

Sam toes the NFL line of acceptable speed, size, and arm.  But that's only going to hurt him in the draft.  He's not really distinguishable from the pack as fast or big or having a strong arm.  He's just pretty well-rounded and above average in the NCAA in these categories, but probably below average for the NFL - definitely not exceptional at any one thing physically, which is generally what gets drafted high.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

That's it. That's the list.

Not sure what the takeaway is other than that Shane has found maybe the perfect transfer path in bringing a horribly maligned SMU program back from the dead. 

And due to the covid "waiver" both of these guys could come back for another season. So maybe we could center the thread around that - do either of them return, and if so, would it help their NFL stock? Where do we think each would be drafted as of now?

Sam should definitely go get paid after this year. Don't think Buchelle has what it takes to get into the league.

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Poor Colt McCoy got sent to QB hell and almost died on the field taking a horrible headshot. Anywhere else and he gets to chill on the sideline and get paid without losing years off his life.

Fuck Cleveland, glad they got Baker.