Texas opens as a 19 point favorite @ Texas Tech

TexasMan

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Charge was Street Racing.  Another Tech player was arrested for same thing in June...

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/local-news/texas-tech-starting-running-back-sarodorick-thompson-arrested-monday/

Lol. If they suspended football players for street racing, back in the 80's when I was in school, there wouldn't have been enough players in all of Bosque County to field a football team. Before the internet, that's all we did for fun when we didn't have time to hunt, fish, fuck, or shoot guns. And in Lubbock, you don't have to worry about corners, or objects to hit, just slow down to under 120 and pull back on the road a couple of hundred yards and get back onto the road.

CHIEF

45 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Usually when the internet hates a hire, the industry usually feels the opposite way. It’s too early to know who is right on Ash. I remember Shaggy was super pumped with the Orlando hire.

Edited by LebongJames

17 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Usually when the internet hates a hire, the industry usually feels the opposite way. It’s too early to know who is right on Ash. I remember Shaggy was super pumped with the Orlando hire.

Urban and Ash are also buddies from their time together at tOSU, and Urban loves pumping up old hires to make himself look smarter.

Not saying it's wrong, just saying look at the source.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Urban and Ash are also buddies from their time together at tOSU, and Urban loves pumping up old hires to make himself look smarter.

Not saying it's wrong, just saying look at the source.

I don’t remember him saying anything nice about Beck or Herman

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jinx said:

I don’t remember him saying anything nice about Beck or Herman

Because he was recruiting against him the first couple years, and had some bad blood come up from that (and the whole Zach Smith hilarity). Now he's free to compliment his hires and rank UT highly and all of that.

54 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Because he was recruiting against him the first couple years, and had some bad blood come up from that (and the whole Zach Smith hilarity). Now he's free to compliment his hires and rank UT highly and all of that.

Herman also got a lot of credit for their NC together and Urbs hated that. 

8 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Crazy that the guy that gets leveled in this clip just signed a contract to pay him more money than the rest of the people on the stadium floor for the rest of their lives combined.

No great QB ever took a tough shot.   Is that what you're saying?

Dude still runs around trying to make plays.  That time he got leveled.  Now he's arguably the best in the world at it.

This past Sunday, start at the 2:10 mark in the video, how he hangs in there on the long throw to Hill.  Later he runs 21 yards on 3rd and 20.  Yet again, he runs on a 3rd and 3 to extend a drive.   Obviously, the college experience just made him want to quit...

or you may have forgotten the run in last year's POs against Tennessee.  He just skeered of getting hit, right?

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

No great QB ever took a tough shot.   Is that what you're saying?

Dude still runs around trying to make plays.  That time he got leveled.  Now he's arguably the best in the world at it.

I wasn't intending any reference to his ability to avoid hits, just the fact that due to his ability, circumstances, team, the butterfly effect, etc. that he's a well paid man.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I don't know why I'm LOLing at the fact that Sarodorick is a Jr. Guess his pops really wanted to keep that name going.

I heard his name said watching the Tech/HBU highlights. In my mind I pictured it as Sir Roderick. That would be a name worthy of passing along to one's children.

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

Crazy that the guy that gets leveled in this clip just signed a contract to pay him more money than the rest of the people on the stadium floor for the rest of their lives combined.

Not crazy, considering that he's a far better football player than anyone else who was on the field that night.

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

I'm sure there is an answer over in RC, and given his senior year was 13-14 which aligned with our Mack/Charlie transition turmoil, but how the fuck did we completely miss?  Did we even recruit him at all?  We have to have sensei ninjas out there on the grapevine that can recognize future all-world kids in our own backyard.  We've missed, whiffed or ignored a dozen guys from in state starting in the NFL.  From his wiki: Whitehouse/Tyler.  5A. Not invisible.   Even thought rivals had him as a 3-star, he was Maxpreps Male Athlete of the Year for 2013–2014.  aggy too should be ashamed.  They claim the trees are their backyard.

12 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I'm sure there is an answer over in RC, and given his senior year was 13-14 which aligned with our Mack/Charlie transition turmoil, but how the fuck did we completely miss?  Did we even recruit him at all?  We have to have sensei ninjas out there on the grapevine that can recognize future all-world kids in our own backyard.  We've missed, whiffed or ignored a dozen guys from in state starting in the NFL.  From his wiki: Whitehouse/Tyler.  5A. Not invisible.   Even thought rivals had him as a 3-star, he was Maxpreps Male Athlete of the Year for 2013–2014.  aggy too should be ashamed.  They claim the trees are their backyard.

Didn't most teams assume he was going to play baseball? 

13 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

We had no need to go for him in the 2014 recruiting class because we'd already locked up all-world dual threat quarterback...*checks notes*...Jerrod Heard.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Sadly, even though this clearly was not targeting, it would be called targeting now.

Lulz what are you talking about? That’s the exact definition of targeting. He led with his helmet and made forcible contact with the head/neck area of a receiver who’s in the process of completing a catch. It sucks for us as fans that those plays are no longer legal, but that play was absolutely targeting under the current rules. 

6 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I saw a hit to the shoulder/clavicle area.  That should not be called targeting.  If leading with the helmet is all that's required, then you could call it to any part of the body.  Maybe they do that.  

Watch the second angle and see how the receivers head whips back. He absolutely made forcible contact to the head/neck area of the receiver with the crown of his helmet, which is how the targeting rule is defined. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Dude, he hit him square in the face with the crown of his helmet. You can see the receivers head snap around on impact. That hit alone probably caused dementia to set in a few years earlier than it already would have.

edit: Agreeing with burt

Edited by High Plains Drifter

17 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Lol. If they suspended football players for street racing, back in the 80's when I was in school, there wouldn't have been enough players in all of Bosque County to field a football team. Before the internet, that's all we did for fun when we didn't have time to hunt, fish, fuck, or shoot guns. And in Lubbock, you don't have to worry about corners, or objects to hit, just slow down to under 120 and pull back on the road a couple of hundred yards and get back onto the road.

CHIEF

dips.

Dips will fuck you up at intersections.  yes, they are different there because of the flatlands and needing a place for the water to go when a year's worth of rain falls in one day.

Edited by slorch

On 9/21/2020 at 6:55 AM, Longboard Horn said:

This triggered my PTSD. That looked just like one of our cupcake games over the last several year. Get a lead. Think you're going to coast. Other team scores before the half. Offense is dead in the third. You pull off a one score victory. 

Then do the same thing against a ranked team. I hated that. Glad we got to see the reserves last game. Hope we see 'em again Saturday.

Dallas Morning News....  Sept 22nd

Tech’s scouting report

While the Red Raiders' defense struggled two weeks ago against FCS Houston Baptist, the Tech offense moved with ease. Quarterback Alan Bowman threw for 430 yards and the Red Raiders rushed for 197 more.

“We’re playing a team that wants to get the ball out with RPO’s on the edges,” Sterns said. “So we have to make sure we establish the edge, make sure we tackle in the open field.”

Bowman is not frequently mentioned in conversations surrounding the best quarterbacks in the conference, despite his solid numbers as a freshman and sophomore. In just three games a year ago, he put up 1,020 yards passing and six touchdowns.

“The reason why you probably haven’t heard about him is I’m pretty sure he was injured last year,” Sterns said. “He’s very accurate, doesn’t make too many dumb decisions, moves the offense efficient.”

Bowman has yet to play against Texas in his two-plus years at Tech after missing last year’s matchup due to injury. Following his huge performance in Week 1, Sterns and the defense are keyed on what Bowman can do with the Tech offense.

“They just move so efficiently, so I’ve got to make sure, eye discipline is going to be huge this week, technique is going to be huge this week, from tackling to covering,” Sterns said.

New atmosphere in Lubbock

The last time the Longhorns traveled to Lubbock, a last-minute touchdown pass from Ehlinger helped No. 9 Texas escape a 5-4 Tech team with a victory. Every time Texas makes the trip up north, the Red Raider faithful make their voices heard.

“Very intense atmosphere, and they do not like us,” Graham said. “Getting tortillas thrown at us ever five minutes. But in my opinion, that makes the game even more fun when you come into a hostile environment like that ready to compete.”

That environment will be vastly different Saturday, when the teams play at a Jones AT&T Stadium that will be at no more than 25% capacity. Ehlinger said they haven’t prepared by pumping crowd noise into practice like they usually do, but that they’re excited to see what gameday in Lubbock this year will be like.

“It’s different though obviously, it’s going to be at 25% (capacity) so I don’t know if that means that only 25% of the tortillas will be thrown or what,” Kerstetter said.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1