Texas opens as a 19 point favorite @ Texas Tech

TexasMan

1 hour ago, Big_kat said:

Lot of give up by the tech DBs on some of those long TDs. Seems like they could have saved a few with a little effort to make the tackle instead of shutting down and coasting from the 10. We should torch the shit out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't spend much time looking at the Tech/HBU "highlights", but it looked to me like the Tech safeties just weren't playing their position, to put it bluntly.

HBU didn't drive methodically. Rather, they scored on uncontested pitch and catch type passes where it looked like the safeties just stood deep in "Cover-2" position and sort of didn't cover their side of the field. The receivers would be released deep by the CBs. The safeties were uninterested in the results until the receivers trotted by them with the ball.

Don't know if that's something you can correct in practice in a week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pogo said:

Funny story about my last trip to Lubbock in November 1994.  Unbeknownst to me, a tortilla made its way into my tuba.  It stayed there through the sun bowl in El Paso.  I found it in April.

I had this happen to me playing in the Tech band.  Drunken idiots love trying to throw shit into sousaphone bells, but my assumption was that the one that ended up in my TTU horn was a fluke.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Corn or flour?

Pretty sure it was flour with a hole in the center.  At least if I were going to do it now, that's what I would use.  They hold together better and are a little heavier to cut through the wind.  I assume the hole also helped with aerodynamics.

On 9/23/2020 at 11:22 AM, Dirk X West said:

I had this happen to me playing in the Tech band.  Drunken idiots love trying to throw shit into sousaphone bells, but my assumption was that the one that ended up in my TTU horn was a fluke.

I dated a Techster after I graduated in '92 and visited her for the '92 Halloween game; we destroyed them.  My Texas horn ended up in a sousaphone bell later that night.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

My clearest memory of that game was us running hurry-up offense with about 3 minutes left in the game with a < 7 point lead. The Charlie Strong coaching staff had the worst clock management I’ve ever seen.

The 2008 would like to say hi.  Left enough time for Crabtree to make his play.

On 9/23/2020 at 7:09 AM, BurntEyes said:

Well, I mean in fairness, it might just be worth the risk.

8c701e14a5b29e3332c1dfa9a8ab9632.jpg.a9bad34dc1a0e825155d2076f6898256.jpgpom-lg.jpg.09e211582c416ae5c15e51463683ec4e.jpg

Wow.  Two pics and not a single veto in the lot.  My faves:  Pic #1 - Back row, far left    Pic #2 - Middle row, left

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

We played that about as well as we could have since we needed a TD to go ahead.
Even without Crabtree doing his thing, they likely get a 40ish yard FG to win.

Bullshit.  Our clock management cost us that game.  We should have been draining the clock on our last possession, because it was obvious to anyone watching that we would not get the ball again.  Instead, we snapped the ball multiple times with 10+ seconds left on the play clock.

I was screaming at Mack and Colt that entire drive to drain the clock, because I knew what was coming if we left too much time. 

Edited by TrashMaster G

38 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Wow.  Two pics and not a single veto in the lot.  My faves:  Pic #1 - Back row, far left    Pic #2 - Middle row, left

Bullshit.  Our clock management cost us that game.  We should have been draining the clock on our last possession, because it was obvious to anyone watching that we would not get the ball again.  Instead, we snapped the ball multiple times with 10+ seconds left on the play clock.

I was screaming at Mack and Colt that entire drive to drain the clock, because I knew what was coming if we left too much time. 

Well we would have but ya know butterfingers Gideon... Wooosh 

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

25 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Well we would have but ya know butterfingers Gideon... Wooosh 

please-stop-doing-5b5058.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

I remember doing the same damn thing while watching the game live. 

Your post made me rewatch our last touchdown drive in that game just now, and I counted (conservatively) that we could have removed an additional 1:50 off the clock on our final drive by just allowing the play clock to run down further before each play.  We snapped the ball on one play inside Tech's red zone with 30 seconds left on the play clock.  Infuriating!  When Tech got the ball back for the last time, they had 1:29 left.

Gideon should've still caught that ball, but really the game should never have gotten to the point where it was in Gideon's hands.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2