Marvel's WandaVision on Disney+

mdmost

That's kinda the point, not getting it. Vision is back, alive and living with Wanda in a black & white, 1950s sitcom. Both are lacking crucial memories of how they got there. There's more going on than a mere sitcom. Vision's behavior is atypical. It's a mystery with a ridiculous backdrop. A great job at making us, the audience, feel cognitive dissonance.

12 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

it seems a very slow burn, not suited to a weekly release but better binge watched

Yeah, it's a really slow burn for a weekly release. The audience is probably wondering if they have to sit through an "I love Lucy" episode next week before Hydra is revealed. Since the show is a sitcom I assume most of the episodes will be similar where a few hints are dropped but the primary show remains a sitcom. It kind of feels like something that the creator of Community would write. It's a Marvel story wrapped up in old sitcoms told within the framework of the Twilight Zone.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, it's a really slow burn for a weekly release. The audience is probably wondering if they have to sit through an "I love Lucy" episode next week before Hydra is revealed. Since the show is a sitcom I assume most of the episodes will be similar where a few hints are dropped but the primary show remains a sitcom. It kind of feels like something that the creator of Community would write. It's a Marvel story wrapped up in old sitcoms told within the framework of the Twilight Zone.

It’s going through the decades forward, they appear to have passed the Lucy days. Dick van dyke, Bewitched, next looks to be the Brady bunch.

2 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

It’s going through the decades forward, they appear to have passed the Lucy days. Dick van dyke, Bewitched, next looks to be the Brady bunch.

i've only seen it once and i haven't gone back to verify, but i believe the theme song in episode 2 mirrored the rhythmic cadence of i dream of jeannie's theme song down to the measure.

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i've only seen it once and i haven't gone back to verify, but i believe the theme song in episode 2 mirrored the rhythmic cadence of i dream of jeannie's theme song down to the measure.

That was bewitched. 

However, the second episode, which homages Hanna-Barbera's animated opening credits for Bewitched, goes a little deeper with a handful of comic book Easter eggs 

Edited by UT_OB1

3 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

That was bewitched. 

However, the second episode, which homages Hanna-Barbera's animated opening credits for Bewitched, goes a little deeper with a handful of comic book Easter eggs 

oh i was talking about the actual musical aspect of the song-  the rhythm, the chord structures, the instruments, the style.  even the trumpet pickups are almost an exact measure to measure mirror of the i dream of jeannie intro song.  check it out.

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

I like the dark undertones of foreboding, but I just hope sitting through the “awkward dinner party” and “neighborhood talent show” will pay off. Once the novelty of 50s sitcom wore off, they seemed a bit unnecessary, at this point

The dinner party and the (planning for the) talent show have already paid off - people at both that were asking questions of her past were injured.  

22 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

oh i was talking about the actual musical aspect of the song-  the rhythm, the chord structures, the instruments, the style.  even the trumpet pickups are almost an exact measure to measure mirror of the i dream of jeannie intro song.  check it out.

I’m just not hearing it. 

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Maybe/hopefully this is Marvel’s way to resurrect some dead characters if Wanda can pull people from her mental breakdown fantasy into reality. 

Who?  Very few have died...

Quicksilver in AoU

Original Groot in GOTG (replaced by New Groot)

Loki, Gamora, and Vision in IW (though Loki from 2012 Timeline is alive, and they brought over 2014 Gamora in EG)

Black Widow, 2014 Nebula, and Iron Man in EG (2019 Nebula is still alive)

Cap “retired” and Black Panther actually died IRL.

I don’t see that payoff happening and I personally don’t think they’ll bring someone back in this show that will confuse future movie go-ers who don’t stream. Having IM, CA, or BW just return in the next Avengers team up because of this show seems highly unlikely.

Maybe they do it with Vision and add a throw away line to the movie like “We’re glad Wanda and Banner/Shield/whoever were able to get you fixed up after Thanos” or something but that’s somewhat easier to swallow since he is a robot and all.

The only other character Wanda has a connection with is Quicksilver and I just don’t see that happening as the fans have moved on from him a long time ago.

On 1/19/2021 at 11:01 PM, gsoda3 said:

I’m just not hearing it. 

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Quicksilver in AoU

Original Groot in GOTG (replaced by New Groot)

Loki, Gamora, and Vision in IW (though Loki from 2012 Timeline is alive, and they brought over 2014 Gamora in EG)

Black Widow, 2014 Nebula, and Iron Man in EG (2019 Nebula is still alive)

Cap “retired” and Black Panther actually died IRL.

I don’t see that payoff happening and I personally don’t think they’ll bring someone back in this show that will confuse future movie go-ers who don’t stream. Having IM, CA, or BW just return in the next Avengers team up because of this show seems highly unlikely.

Maybe they do it with Vision and add a throw away line to the movie like “We’re glad Wanda and Banner/Shield/whoever were able to get you fixed up after Thanos” or something but that’s somewhat easier to swallow since he is a robot and all.

The only other character Wanda has a connection with is Quicksilver and I just don’t see that happening as the fans have moved on from him a long time ago.

I wouldn’t expect a happy ending with this. I think the most positive outcome will be closure for Wanda. 

7 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Yeah, I was really thinking Vision as most likely, Quicksilver makes next most sense but is least likely to happen for reasons you said, Black Widow (since Wanda was talking to Clint about her and Vision), Tony Stark (with a different actor?), and a way to reboot Black Panther as someone other than T’Challa. 

I heard Chris Evans just signed some new Captain America deal, but it didn’t specify if it was cameo in a movie/show/game or something else. Maybe he decided after Covid that the sweet cash low hanging fruit from Marvel should not be rejected on some personal principle to be a more diverse actor. 

13 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I heard Chris Evans just signed some new Captain America deal, but it didn’t specify if it was cameo in a movie/show/game or something else. Maybe he decided after Covid that the sweet cash low hanging fruit from Marvel should not be rejected on some personal principle to be a more diverse actor. 

Could be the animated Disney+ series “What If?” Where they do alt histories of various characters.  Peggy Carter becomes the super soldier instead, etc.    they signed most of the movie actors to do the voice work.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

Interview with Katherine Hahn.  Spoilery

Spoiler

https://io9.gizmodo.com/wandavisions-kathryn-hahn-says-gossip-and-secrets-are-a-1846102039

io9: Exactly. What was so fascinating about those scenes is how you’re seeing Wanda and Agnes exploring Westview, but you’re also getting a sense of how there’s this undercurrent of menacing, but not overt horror.

Hahn: We’re clearly not just trying to faithfully redo genres of sitcom. There’s something churning underneath it all, and there are layers and layers to this story that are going to begin being peeled back, and people are going to have to go along for the ride. I know that there are a lot of theories, which are really exciting, but I also know that people really need to be surprised about what’s coming.

• Hook 'Em 1

I feel really stupid, but I just realized why Rambeau is grown up. I was thinking it had something to do with Wanda’s powers, maybe she time traveled or something. Didn’t occur to me she’d simply grown up. In my head I had Captain Marvel being just before Endgame. I knew when it occurred in the timeline, but my subconscious wasn’t having it. That’s been bugging me for 3 weeks. 

Edited by UT_OB1

This really seems similar to the episode "It's a Good Life" from the Twilight Zone. This is really starting to have a House of M feeling where all of this a creation of Wanda. No one's doing this to her. She's doing this to the people of the town/reality she's created. 

Edited by mdmost

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

This really seems similar to the episode "It's a Good Life" from the Twilight Zone. This is really starting to have a House of M feeling where all of this a creation of Wanda. No one's doing this to her. She's doing this to the people of the town/reality she's created. 

Don't forget Agnes.  She's out of the loop, so to speak.

52 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Did you notice the transition between the 4x3 aspect ratio to 16x9 and cinematic aspect ratios at the end when Wanda "expelled" Geraldine out to the real world?

yeah but was that the real world? it didn't look very modern, at least by MCU standards

So far I'm enjoying it and I'll stick it out. The problem I have is that I only saw maybe half of the Avengers movies and have never read the comics, so when it comes to show's mysteries, I don't know which ones I'm supposed to understand and which ones I'm not. For example, am I supposed to know the symbol on Geraldine's necklace?

2 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

So far I'm enjoying it and I'll stick it out. The problem I have is that I only saw maybe half of the Avengers movies and have never read the comics, so when it comes to show's mysteries, I don't know which ones I'm supposed to understand and which ones I'm not. For example, am I supposed to know the symbol on Geraldine's necklace?

Not yet. It's from the comics but you can let it play out. If you aren't up fully on the Wanda and Vision as characters, watch the Marvel Legends shorts that are on Disney+. They give all the relevant background on both characters. They're about 7 minutes each. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

Lots of easter egg vids and theories on youtube.  If you don't get it but want some hints I would go here.

I am also someone who saw maybe half of the films and never read any of the comics. These Easter egg/theory videos (one for each episode) do a great job of laying out all of the tie-ins to the comics and movies and, if anything, make me appreciate just how chock full of references there seem to be in each episode.

12 hours ago, elfenix said:

is that gonna pull the naysayers back in?

I haven’t given up yet, but I need more backstory to keep seeping in.  Honestly if I could binge the whole thing I’d probably like it more especially since the episodes are short.  If they were 45mins to an hour I would have dropped it.  But I’m going to keep watching for now.

5 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Watch Avengers 2/Age of Ultron.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Did you notice the transition between the 4x3 aspect ratio to 16x9 and cinematic aspect ratios at the end when Wanda "expelled" Geraldine out to the real world?

that was 21:9. 

44 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I haven’t given up yet, but I need more backstory to keep seeping in.  Honestly if I could binge the whole thing I’d probably like it more especially since the episodes are short.  If they were 45mins to an hour I would have dropped it.  But I’m going to keep watching for now.

afaik that's the first time that symbol has showed up in MCU. 

Hydra has already been referenced at least twice during the “commercial” segments (they pretty much whack you in the face with it in this latest episode).  I’m loving that they are doing something completely different within MCU and making you think and wait a bit.  I dig the weirdness. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Hydra has already been referenced at least twice during the “commercial” segments (they pretty much whack you in the face with it in this latest episode).  I’m loving that they are doing something completely different within MCU and making you think and wait a bit.  I dig the weirdness. 

My thoughts as well. I’m digging the weirdness and like how they’re slowly scraping off the veneer. 

Edited by Dutch

5 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

4 hours ago, Dutch said:

My thoughts as well. I’m digging the weirdness and like how they’re slowly pulling scraping off the veneer. 

It's got me pretty excited for Doctor Strange, Spidey, and the Multiverse.

Edited by atomheartbevo