No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

He can get a head start on going to the next location where he will eventually wear out his welcome while upsetting a few better teams than his and ultimately going winless against his rival. I'm fine with that being Arkansas. 

Edited by mdmost

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Wait what if the reporter was Kurt Bohls though?

I'm a UDub grad, so I'm thrilled with the job Leach is doing and I hope he never leaves.  Our coaching staff has looked more lost and bumbling than Tom Herman and his bros -- until today.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

He can get a head start on going to the next location where he will eventually wear out his welcome while upsetting a few better teams than his and ultimately going winless against his rival. I'm fine with that being Arkansas. 

Incidents like this aren't going to help his chances of landing the Arkansas job.

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

And along the way we'll see more head coaching idiocy which will make some shake their head while most will just recognize it as someone who has a nice offensive mind, specializes in cute press conference quotes but can and never will win big as a HC.

• Like 2

Ah, what the fuck else can Arkansas do? I mean they've historically sucked balls throughout their time in the SEC. They can't beat anyone else in the SEC West. It's like if Kansas hired him. Just do it, who cares. He's overrated, especially by this website. But maybe he can jump up and beat aggy. 

I think Mike Leach is massively overrated as a head coach, properly rated as an offensive guru who designs some really innovative shit and definitely underrated as an entertainer.  Would I ever want his as the HC at Texas hell no, but Piggy employed Fat Bielma who had a big bag of nothing and talked a lot of shit.  Seems like an agitator like Leach would fit right in for a while....which is all he really needs to be in for anyway before the show hits the road again.

Arkansas would be a disaster for Leach.  I can't see him going there.  WSU and Tech wanted to be relevant but didn't have some grand thoughts on being a conf champs

Arkansas still thinks they should be challenging for SEC West titles.  I do agree he would get them back to bowl eligibility in short order by winning 3 or 4 OOC and catching of 2 or 3 of aggy, MSU, Miss, Missouri(insert other East team).

He doesn't value Defense enough to beat the big dogs. 

• Like 1

I've been to each one of Leach's Apple Cups. It's mindbottling to me that he literally is incapable of changing anything. This was the worst Petersen-coached UW team he's faced - inept offense, very young but talented defense - and yet the "rush 3, drop 8" key to beating him worked yet again.

Rick Neuheisel mentioned on his Seattle radio appearance this week that he never changes - at Tceh he had 8 basic plays and he does the same thing at WSU.

I could see him being a decent fit at Arkansas for awhile but I'd be fine with him staying at WSU - he won't change enough to beat the Huskies and he gives the Ducks fits. Win-win.

I was waiting for @Iceman to show up to the Leach party. Lulz.

Once Leach gets run outta WSU he should trot off to a desperate B10 school (Purdue? Rutgers? ). He'll improve their offense, lower their defense, pull off a miracle win against a Michigan or Ohio State early in the season, shit the bed when the rubber meets the road, & amuse/confuse the midwestern sensibilities of the team's fanbase. Leach is 58 so he'd only need another 5-6 years of this before he could comfortably retire.

Edited by GhostOfTomJoad
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Once Leach gets run outta WSU he should trot off to a desperate B10 school (Purdue? Rutgers? ). He'll improve their offense, lower their defense, pull off a miracle win against a Michigan or Ohio State early in the season, shit the bed when the rubber meets the road, & amuse/confuse the midwestern sensibilities of the team's fanbase. Leach is 58 so he'd only need another 5-6 years of this before he could comfortably retire.

I am admittedly way too defensive about Leach, but it stems from a shit-ton of people grossly incorrectly characterizing what he has achieved.  They ignore that he came to Tech with significant sanctions in place from academic fraud in the football program and that he doubled the bowl wins in the entire fucking history of the program in 10 years, being bowl eligible every year he was there despite the sanctions, and had among the highest grad rates in the Big XII.

Washington State had FIVE, count em, 1-2-3-4-5 composite/ total  Pac12 wins in the 4 seasons preceding Leach's arrival. The last 4 seasons, he has averaged 6.5...per year.  This has been a rebuilding year and he is 3-6 in Conference, 6-6 on the year.

Add in his influence on the entire game of football, his coaching tree, and results vs the mean for the programs he has coached... it just gets to be an eye-roll moment when idiots act like his career is a big nothing-burger because he didn't win a Conference title.  I get a kick out of how folks get caught up in how Leach's persona is (allegedly) so abrasive.  It took a generational QB and 20 NFL quality players to get Mr Happy Gladhands/ Buttertooth a natty title.  The Sabans and Meyers of the world wet their fucking pants because a QB gets hurt or the other team runs tempo on their sensitive little defense. Leach is a dick because he doesn't suffer idiots very well. That's all fine and good, but people have this incredible standard when discussing Leach, as if he sucks because he's not perfect. 

"we don't want a dynamic leader of our program when we could have this guy who is middling on the field, but oh so comfortable in his pressers."

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Fitting...

EKlVeZ-UEAAZHwy?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I don't know if you took this picture, but ... for goodness' sake, the TV is not oriented up and down, it's left/right.  So turn the freaking camera to match the layout of the TV.  The picture crops off the sides of the TV, and manages to get plenty of wall and floor above and below the TV.

And don't get me started on Ovaltine!  The mug is round...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

Add in his influence on the entire game of football, his coaching tree, and results vs the mean for the programs he has coached... it just gets to be an eye-roll moment when idiots act like his career is a big nothing-burger because he didn't win a Conference title. 

"we don't want a dynamic leader of our program when we could have this guy who is middling on the field, but oh so comfortable in his pressers."

Leach has over achieved everywhere he's been. That's undeniable. There's a reason he's been voted conference coach of the year multiple times, including nationally last year. He's best suited for historically mediocre or worse programs located in small, insulated communities where he can do his thing. But there's a reason why he's rarely mentioned for a blue chip college or NFL job, and it's not because of his quirky personality. If at 58 years of age he can't figure out that defense is kinda important to winning or that his offensive tendencies have grown stale (per the DC at Washington who just drug his ball sack all over Leach's face) then he's not very good at self evaluation. That's why he's where he is.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Leach has over achieved everywhere he's been. That's undeniable. There's a reason he's been voted conference coach of the year multiple times, including nationally last year. He's best suited for historically mediocre or worse programs located in small, insulated communities where he can do his thing. But there's a reason why he's rarely mentioned for a blue chip college or NFL job, and it's not because of his quirky personality. If at 58 years of age he can't figure out that defense is kinda important to winning or that his offensive tendencies have grown stale (per the DC at Washington who just drug his ball sack all over Leach's face) then he's not very good at self evaluation. That's why he's where he is.

Correct. Had Leach ever made defense a focus, he would've had multiple conference championships in the late 00s. But he never does and never will so the best his programs will ever be is a spoiler. 

5 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

He can comfortably retire now. He's not going B1G.  Those schools are AAU.  They aren't going to hire a guy that personally attacks a reporter like that.

Arkansas might be desperate enough but that is a damn tough gig.

30 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

If at 58 years of age he can't figure out that defense is kinda important to winning or that his offensive tendencies have grown stale (per the DC at Washington who just drug his ball sack all over Leach's face) then he's not very good at self evaluation

This is f'n hilarious on a number of levels but mostly because it's true 

I am admittedly way too defensive about Leach, but it stems from a shit-ton of people grossly incorrectly characterizing what he has achieved.  They ignore that he came to Tech with significant sanctions in place from academic fraud in the football program and that he doubled the bowl wins in the entire fucking history of the program in 10 years, being bowl eligible every year he was there despite the sanctions, and had among the highest grad rates in the Big XII.
Washington State had FIVE, count em, 1-2-3-4-5 composite/ total  Pac12 wins in the 4 seasons preceding Leach's arrival. The last 4 seasons, he has averaged 6.5...per year.  This has been a rebuilding year and he is 3-6 in Conference, 6-6 on the year.
Add in his influence on the entire game of football, his coaching tree, and results vs the mean for the programs he has coached... it just gets to be an eye-roll moment when idiots act like his career is a big nothing-burger because he didn't win a Conference title.  I get a kick out of how folks get caught up in how Leach's persona is (allegedly) so abrasive.  It took a generational QB and 20 NFL quality players to get Mr Happy Gladhands/ Buttertooth a natty title.  The Sabans and Meyers of the world wet their fucking pants because a QB gets hurt or the other team runs tempo on their sensitive little defense. Leach is a dick because he doesn't suffer idiots very well. That's all fine and good, but people have this incredible standard when discussing Leach, as if he sucks because he's not perfect. 

Meyer won a title with a 3rd string QB. But rant on.

4 hours ago, Modessit said:

Unless he gets fired at WSU, he's not leaving for anywhere not P5 and not in Florida. He'd take the FSU job.

Is there a coach on earth who wouldn't trade WSU for FSU? 

I mean, I know Leach is fending away offers with a stick and all, but you don't just leave a place like Pullman WA unless...you know, you want to advance your career.

Is there a coach on earth who wouldn't trade WSU for FSU? 
I mean, I know Leach is fending away offers with a stick and all, but you don't just leave a place like Pullman WA unless...you know, you want to advance your career.
What I meant was:

He's comfortable at WSU and the admin likes him. But he lives in Key West so if he leaves voluntarily it's to go to a Florida school. But it won't be a South Florida or UCF job. I don't think he'd leave WSU for Arkansas or Purdue even for a significant pay increase. Florida isn't changing coaches anytime soon so it's either Miami or FSU. I think he might accept an offer if the AD promised to let him do his thing. He might not.

27 minutes ago, Cajun said:

WSU knows what's good for it.

man, they've lost to UW seven years in a row now, and beating Washington is pretty much the pinnacle of Washington State football. They're not going to the playoff, they're not going to win the conference, so as a program, getting the rivalry game right is pretty important.

I get that he's had some success there, but if I were a Washington State fan, I'd be pissed they just re-upped a guy who can't win the most important game on the schedule.

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]