No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

7 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

man, they've lost to UW seven years in a row now, and beating Washington is pretty much the pinnacle of Washington State football. They're not going to the playoff, they're not going to win the conference, so as a program, getting the rivalry game right is pretty important.

I get that he's had some success there, but if I were a Washington State fan, I'd be pissed they just re-upped a guy who can't win the most important game on the schedule.

Some coaches are clueless about what's important to the fan base. Mack seemed to have a blind spot when it came to OU. Maybe Mike just doesn't know he's supposed to try really hard to win that one game. 

12 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

man, they've lost to UW seven years in a row now, and beating Washington is pretty much the pinnacle of Washington State football. They're not going to the playoff, they're not going to win the conference, so as a program, getting the rivalry game right is pretty important.

I get that he's had some success there, but if I were a Washington State fan, I'd be pissed they just re-upped a guy who can't win the most important game on the schedule.

WSU is never going to mean much, win over UW or no win over UW.

With Leach, at least people outside of that state will give a look.

They know what's good for them.

8 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

his ridiculous contract stipulations are another reason he cannot get a better job (a minor issue but still)

no program with a better situation than WSU is going to lock themselves into a revolving annual extension especially at the $5+ million per year it would probably take to get him from WSU

worse when he will give no buyout of his own if he leaves for another job which a place like Ole' Miss has to consider

look how much more screwed a place like Arkansas would be with a rolling 5 year deal they would be owing 4 more years instead of 3 and with Leach if you come off of a season like this one with 6-6 (and shitty recruiting going on) and you try and put an end to that rolling extension (that either side can do according to how the contract was when it started) well that is when nuclear mike kicks off and the recruiting gets even more shitty and the fat little agents come out and mike goes into major job shopping mode calling anyone and everyone just to burn shit down more

16 minutes ago, Cajun said:

WSU is never going to mean much, win over UW or no win over UW.

With Leach, at least people outside of that state will give a look.

They know what's good for them.

You really want to try to sell that to a Washington State fan? "You'll never mean much, and this coach never wins the ONE GAME you care about most, but at least people on Surlyhorns.com are paying attention to you"...?

Beating UW is not about "meaning much" to anyone outside of Pullman. It is the most important football-related thing to a Washington State fan. Much more important than having a quirky brand that non WSU fans appreciate. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

You really want to try to sell that to a Washington State fan? "You'll never mean much, and this coach never wins the ONE GAME you care about most, but at least people on Surlyhorns.com are paying attention to you"...?

Beating UW is not about "meaning much" to anyone outside of Pullman. It is the most important football-related thing to a Washington State fan. Much more important than having a quirky brand that non WSU fans appreciate. 

I've seen plenty of WSU fans more than happy that ML was extended.

Took me 3 seconds to find this...

Mike Leach has established, and continued, a culture of success at Washington State, both academically and athletically, that few have matched,” WSU Director of Athletics Pat Chun said in a school release. “He has returned WSU to national prominence, is one of the top football coaches in the nation, and we are fortunate to have him leading our program.”

While the extension does not necessarily prevent Leach from leaving for another coaching position, it implies he’s committed to the Cougars for at least another season. 

The coach nearly left WSU for Tennessee two seasons ago and Cougar fans have been kept on their toes the past few weeks as Leach was named as a potential candidate for a number of Power Five jobs in the South, including Arkansas. FootballScoop.com reported Leach had spoken with the Razorbacks about their coaching vacancy and USA Today’s Dan Wolken confirmed Arkansas interviewed Leach for the position.

Yes, utter revolt I tell you.

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

Mike Leach has established, and continued, a culture of success at Washington State, both academically and athletically, that few have matched,” WSU Director of Athletics Pat Chun said in a school release.

Whoa, the athletic director says it's awesome that Leach got his contract extended? Well that certainly contradicts everything I'm trying to explain to you.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Whoa, the athletic director says it's awesome that Leach got his contract extended? Well that certainly contradicts everything I'm trying to explain to you.

Lulz...

WASHINGTON STATE has sold 14,100 season tickets for the upcoming football season as of today, SID Bill Stevens tells Cougfan.com. The number already surpasses the total number the Cougs sold all of last year. The current tally also places WSU well within striking distance of setting the all-time record for Cougar football.

WSU’s all-time high in football season ticket sales is 14,478, set in 2017.

For the 2018 season, WSU sold 13,894 season tickets.

Yeah, they're running for the exits.

What time are you due back at NASA?

• Haha 2

And, I feel like I need to point one thing out. I said would be pissed if were a Washington State fan, because Leach can't beat Washington. I didn't claim to know what Washington State fans en masse or individually thought about anything other than "the rivalry game is important to them". 

I suspect that if you spend any amount of time reading into it, you'll find they are split between fans that think "we're lucky to have Leach, we never beat UW anyway" and fans that want something to change so they stop losing to Washington. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Was I supposed to be surprised that Washington State nearly set a season ticket sales record coming off an 11-win season? 

What conclusion are we to draw when they sell 13,000 for the 2020 season, coming off a six- or seven-loss season?

The years Leach has been there season ticket sales have broken record after record.  

When they take a dive after a bad season then you can talk.  Until then, it's all fantasy to bolster your original incorrect assertion.

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

That is about how I would expect you to interpret the situation.

meh... your words, bro.  Color me guilty of reading...

Go ahead and enlighten us on  how people aren't arguing properly...

Edited by Iceman

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

Go ahead and enlighten us on  how people aren't arguing properly...

Slorch, I'm just going to say it like this: the fact that you can't read this page and see the enormous lack of logic in saying something like "Washington State has set season ticket sales records under Leach so that means it is wrong to say there is a split in the fan base on Leach after seven straight losses in their big rivalry game" is precisely what I meant about trying to discuss college football on the Internet and you weren't even in the thread yet. Cajun had already done a bang-up job of missing the point and misapplying evidence and drawing inept conclusions, then you came along and added what you add to every thread in which you participate. 

Think whatever you want. 

7 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Slorch, I'm just going to say it like this: the fact that you can't read this page and see the enormous lack of logic in saying something like "Washington State has set season ticket sales records under Leach so that means it is wrong to say there is a split in the fan base on Leach after seven straight losses in their big rivalry game" is precisely what I meant about trying to discuss college football on the Internet and you weren't even in the thread yet. Cajun had already done a bang-up job of missing the point and misapplying evidence and drawing inept conclusions, then you came along and added what you add to every thread in which you participate. 

Think whatever you want. 

This seems very personal to you.

On 9/30/2019 at 1:10 AM, MrPhlegm said:

I hope Leach ends up at USF.

He would love playing at Raymond James. Tampa airport is right there and it's a short flight to Key West.

as much as he loves the Keys he really needs to be in florida. also it is easier to deal with shitty parents cjk5h in florida. alligators are everywhere and they ALWAYS hungry.

He had Sirius XM show when he was on hiatus after tech.  He lived down in the Keys and would always be working out during the breaks.  It was hilarious hearing him breathing like he had just been fucking.  And who knows, maybe he was fucking...either way the pirate kicks ass and you guys could do worse than losing with the pirate...as we’ve all seen.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Think whatever you want. 

yeah, I'm a newcomer to the discussion...which has been going on for a decade now, with regard to debating what Leach brings to his employer and the game of college football..

and no, you didn't add anything new to it.  Keep banging that drum, bro.

My 'inept conclusions' are based in facts.  You just don't like the guy, which is fair, but your dismissive attitude towards Leach and his achievements are seriously misguided.

Edited by Iceman

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This will be glorious.

Get ready to see your QB throw 9 TDs and still lose, MSU fans.

Leach actually has some decent defenses in comparison to other air raid coaches. If he is getting mid level SEC talent on that side of the ball it could be very interesting. 

• immamac changed the title to No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]