No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

One season in OU sunk UT for 4 years?  I guess that's the part that is amazing...

That's even beyond the credit I'd be willing to give him.  Oh, and he went 2-8 vs UT in his 10 years at Tech.  I think y'all survived it ok.

Edited by slorch

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Had a chance to win the big 12 in 08 and got blown off the field(Texas probably wins the conf if Tech is just competitive in that game), never did well in the Apple cup, etc. See if that trend continues.

Yep.  Blew it in Norman in '08.  No doubt. Everybody during those years was cruising into Norman and running with the Sooners.  People also (conveniently) forget that the OU game was not  immediately following the Texas matchup.  Tech was so unprepared against 9th ranked Okie Lite, that Leach's unprepared crew rolled to a 56-20 win.

Wazzu results?  yeah, they were just rolling in 10 win seasons before Leach got there.  He just never really got it done...

Are you a Tech GOB who complained that Leach just couldn't get it done either?  Well, we saw where the program has gone in the past decade.   Straight to the shitter.   I suspect Wazzu will do the same.

Edited by slorch

25 minutes ago, slorch said:

Yep.  Blew it in Norman in '08.  No doubt. Everybody during those years was cruising into Norman and running with the Sooners.  People also (conveniently) forget that the OU game was not  immediately following the Texas matchup.  Tech was so unprepared against 9th ranked Okie Lite, that Leach's unprepared crew rolled to a 56-20 win.

Wazzu results?  yeah, they were just rolling in 10 win seasons before Leach got there.  He just never really got it done...

Are you a Tech GOB who complained that Leach just couldn't get it done either?  Well, we saw where the program has gone in the past decade.   Straight to the shitter.   I suspect Wazzu will do the same.

I think he's a great coach but it felt like he wore out his welcome at wazzu, which is weird because like you said, the success was unprecedented. So that's twice.

MSU is a way better fit for sure but you have to wonder if you will continue to see the trend of teasing the fans by getting really close then shitting the bed. I think they should definitely compete for conference championships.

I think he's a great coach but it felt like he wore out his welcome at wazzu, which is weird because like you said, the success was unprecedented. So that's twice.

It could be that Leach is a failure in the ass kissing department.  Donors and administrators highly value that skill set in a coach.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

It could be that Leach is a failure in the ass kissing department.  Donors and administrators highly value that skill set in a coach.

You could say that about every corch. When you win conference championships, it's just fine. When you win lots of games that you're supposed to win, and behave as if you've won more than that, your win-to-dickishness level might be off.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

touchy.  I never said he wouldn't work at a blueblood.  I know he was there for one season but stoops saw the possibilities of the air raid first hand while we were stuck with East West man. There is a reason OU bitch slapped us from 2000-04.

except that Leach was only there in 1999. Which they lost.

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Did Mike Leach touchthepooty of touchthemonolith’s wife? Get off Leach’s back and enjoy him as an eccentric coach that adds to the overall college football world. 

I take it back. Mike Leach seems like he’s retarded. 

Nope, he's fairly spot on since they sold out to a company in Illinois. Food has gone downhill and not worth it, which blows because it was my go to. 

43 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

except that Leach was only there in 1999. Which they lost.

yes I know but they shocked the shit out of us in the first quarter and then we adjusted to some effect.  which is why I said it set them up for 2000-2004 when they beat our asses to the tune of 189-54.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

One season in OU sunk UT for 4 years?  I guess that's the part that is amazing...

That's even beyond the credit I'd be willing to give him.  Oh, and he went 2-8 vs UT in his 10 years at Tech.  I think y'all survived it ok.

well sure. the talent level at that time between Tech and Texas was pretty wide.  I'm just saying that Stoops seeing what the air raid could do(as well as coaching under Spurrier) set him up to be ahead of the game on offense considering he was a defensive guy.  Lets say he chooses oh maybe say...Shawn Watson.

2 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

Leach doesn't apologize for who he is, and who he is not.

The folks in the past who got tired of winning and thought barbecues and putt-putt were more important have paid a severely steep price.

When you consider his ever-growing sphere of influence on the game of football, it is significant, as well; both in the form of personnel/ coaches and in the way the game is called on offense.  Those add to his legacy as well, those and the Geronimo stories.

4 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Leach is a clown - cute and all that, especially when he gets in front of a mic.  But a piece of shit?  Nah. 

He's a genius (I.Q.-wise), and he does whatever he wants to, regardless of the consequences.

If he wanted to be at a blueblood, he would act differently. He clearly just doesn't care. He gets paid very well, and he's genuine. I think most of us would gladly swap places with him.

He's the class clown because he can be.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

yes I know but they shocked the shit out of us in the first quarter and then we adjusted to some effect.  which is why I said it set them up for 2000-2004 when they beat our asses to the tune of 189-54.

5-intellect.gif

So, the offense they had in 1999, that kind of surprised us until we shut it down, somehow set OU up for stoning us -- with a different OC, and largely on defense -- in 2000 and beyond?

I think you're going to have to show your work. Connect the dots for me here. Because what you're saying doesn't make any sense. Clearly, I am not as intelligent as you, and you must lower yourself down to my level so that my simian mind can appreciate your truly stunning realization.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

5-intellect.gif

So, the offense they had in 1999, that kind of surprised us until we shut it down, somehow set OU up for stoning us -- with a different OC, and largely on defense -- in 2000 and beyond?

I think you're going to have to show your work. Connect the dots for me here. Because what you're saying doesn't make any sense. Clearly, I am not as intelligent as you, and you must lower yourself down to my level so that my simian mind can appreciate your truly stunning realization.

you mean like Mangino being the OL coach under leach and beating the shit out of Mack when he became the OC.  and then Chuck Long who was the QB coach under Magino.  It wasn't "largely" on defense it was both. historical ass-whippings.

they didn't bring in new guys.   of course they tweaked the system as they went but the offense started, and certainly the passing game, as a result of Leach.

16 hours ago, Parliament said:

Culver's brings me in with their cheese curds. Culver's burgers are good, but they won't change your life or anything.

Never heard Culver's burgers thought of above the McDs/BK level.

12 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

MSU is a way better fit for sure but you have to wonder if you will continue to see the trend of teasing the fans by getting really close then shitting the bed. I think they should definitely compete for conference championships.

Woah there.  Dan Mullen all but said that MSST would always be poor. 

Oh, and as far as "wearing out his welcome" at Tech, there is a significant portion of the fanbase, and by that I would suggest at least half; who is still very, very pissed about the circumstances of Leach's departure.

11 years later, there is still a deep fracture within our fanbase about the topic.  Leach still has support from Raiderland, and that doesn't happen if everyone thought he should go. Spike may have retired before he was ready, because it was time to go.  Tuberville needed to go.  Kliff needed to go.  You don't hear anybody except maybe some one-off extremist who talks about them.  There is still much love for Leach among Red Raider fans.  yes, we will always love Kliff as a player, but not many were enamored by his coaching.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Oh, and as far as "wearing out his welcome" at Tech, there is a significant portion of the fanbase, and by that I would suggest at least half; who is still very, very pissed about the circumstances of Leach's departure.

11 years later, there is still a deep fracture within our fanbase about the topic.  Leach still has support from Raiderland, and that doesn't happen if everyone thought he should go. Spike may have retired before he was ready, because it was time to go.  Tuberville needed to go.  Kliff needed to go.  You don't hear anybody except maybe some one-off extremist who talks about them.  There is still much love for Leach among Red Raider fans.  yes, we will always love Kliff as a player, but not many were enamored by his coaching.

Tech just fucked up hiring shitty ass Tuberville after they fired Leach. Their biggest mistake was not lining up a good hire. It fucked them for a decade. Fans woulda been more forgiving if they had been able to bring in a competent corch instead of a literal snake oil salesman.

6 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Tech just fucked up hiring shitty ass Tuberville after they fired Leach. Their biggest mistake was not lining up a good hire. It fucked them for a decade. Fans woulda been more forgiving if they had been able to bring in a competent corch instead of a literal snake oil salesman.

This. Most Tech fans didn't want Tuberville. 

20 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

they hired for fit not ability 

21 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Wrong.   There was no willingness to forgive, because  most people recognized the railroad job run by Tech GOBs and the lack of accountability in the whole process.

Interesting that you never talk much on Tech issues, but all of the sudden you are posting some old ass talking points of the GOB crowd.

36 minutes ago, slorch said:

Wrong.   There was no willingness to forgive, because  most people recognized the railroad job run by Tech GOBs and the lack of accountability in the whole process.

Interesting that you never talk much on Tech issues, but all of the sudden you are posting some old ass talking points of the GOB crowd.

Lol, talking points? Look dude, Mike Leach showed me everything i need to know that night against OU. It was one of the most visceral ass beatings that i can ever remember. A man does not come back from that. The game was seriously over in the first quarter.

He had his chance to win a conference championship with his best team and be a big time guy and he got mudholed, badly. So if you think that guy was gonna take the big kid that Sergio murdered, or that other walk on kid, and win big time, you might be delusional.

It's like i said. He's a guy who did well and beat a lot of teams he was supposed to beat. He thought he was the king. That act wears thin when you get blown off the field multiple times when you have a chance to win your conference.

Edited by Pam Cummings

On 9/28/2020 at 10:10 PM, Goodman said:

Interested to see if how he recruits at State. He should be able to recruit speed, has a stud qb committed, can he recruit the LOS?

As long as he keeps the home grown boys in state.. we will be fine. especially if he embraces the jucos. 

On 9/29/2020 at 1:48 AM, Catdaddyhorn said:

He's always done fairly well, if not over performed, developing OL talent. The defensive line talent he'll have access too from just the backwoods towns of Mississippi will out pace anything he could've ever hoped to have gotten at Tech or Washington St. 

I think Defensive line at MSU sells itself at MSU right now with several of the highest paid players coming from MSU on the Dline. 

Super excited about the first win.. and what should be 2 more before meeting up with Aggie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Whoa whoa whoa, big boy. That’s a probable U.S. Senator you’re talking about there. How about a little respect?

/no CR (just anti-snake oil)

On 9/29/2020 at 1:22 PM, Pam Cummings said:

Had a chance to win the big 12 in 08 and got blown off the field(Texas probably wins the conf if Tech is just competitive in that game), never did well in the Apple cup, etc. See if that trend continues.

No one was beating OU that night.  

34 minutes ago, msudawg said:

And super excited about getting Sawyer Robertson on campus in a few months. 

Since this year doesn't count I wish Costello would come back for a 2nd year but that of course won't be happening. 

I went to high school with his mom.

Possibly...

Lol, talking points? Look dude, Mike Leach showed me everything i need to know that night against OU. It was one of the most visceral ass beatings that i can ever remember. A man does not come back from that. The game was seriously over in the first quarter.

He had his chance to win a conference championship with his best team and be a big time guy and he got mudholed, badly. So if you think that guy was gonna take the big kid that Sergio murdered, or that other walk on kid, and win big time, you might be delusional.

It's like i said. He's a guy who did well and beat a lot of teams he was supposed to beat. He thought he was the king. That act wears thin when you get blown off the field multiple times when you have a chance to win your conference.

What coach that is better than leach do you think would take a job at tech?

On 9/28/2020 at 11:44 AM, msucolt45 said:

Coach Leach does “more with less” than just about any coach in the last two decades. Sure, he’s had some down years sprinkled in, but who hasn’t.

The SEC isn’t schemed to stop his offense, which that conference hasn’t really seen something like that since Spurrier was at Florida.

In four years SEC offenses will look like Big 12 offenses.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 12:14 PM, Pam Cummings said:

Be interesting to see where it is in 4 years. So far, Leach has been a coach who comes in and turns things in a good direction, then shits his ass in big games. Does not prepare his teams well for the big games.

Yeah, Leach never wins any big games against top 10 opponents.

• immamac changed the title to No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]