No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

2 hours ago, Dropout said:

My main argument is Leach is a mediocre coach. 122-81 overall 6-7 in bowl games 0 conference championships. Obviously 0 ncs. But let’s skip over and not address those numbers. Too crazy of an argument...

Tech has an alltime record of 562-443-32 for a .557 winning percentage.  That includes Mike Leach's marked improvement of the program with a .661 winning percentage on a 84-43 record while doubling the bowl wins in program history from 5 to 10, with the 11th being blocked from his coaching by the powers that be at Texas Tech.

Wazzu is 539-551-45 for an alltime winning percentage of .495.  Leach comes in at 38-38 for a .500 mark, but his last 3 years have been 26-13.  When he arrived in Pullman, the Cougs had gone 9-39 with 4 PacConference wins in the 4 seasons prior.

Aside from results on the field, his concepts with the offensive line( wider splits, blocking schemes,) the use of the RB as far more than a runner, and the segmented decision tree on the passing game have influenced the game of football tremendously.  Leach's brings others with him, as evidenced by coaches like Dana Holgorsen, Seth Litrell, and Lincoln Riley; among others.

But yeah, he's pedestrian as fuck...

Placing CC expectations on ANY coach in Lubbock or Pullman isn’t realistic at all. Coaching is about leaving the program in better shape than you found it.

Did anyone fear Dykes’ Red Raiders by 1999? As I recall, a fairly mediocre Texas team sent his ass out with his tail between his legs and his balls in his mouth that season. No one gave a shit about Tech by that point, nor should they have.

Did anyone in the PAC 12 give two chunks of baboon shit about Wazzu in 2011? They went 4-8 and finished dead last in the division, which was typical in their post-2003 era in that very brief period of success they enjoyed. 

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

The only thing standing between Leach and P12 Championships is defense. He doesn't have one.

Wrong; Wazzu had the 2nd best total D in the P12 last year.  I realize that may have been his MO in the past but his WSU teams have been much more balanced.  

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/2018/team/22/p1

• Like 2

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

His defenses at Tech in his last few years actually weren’t that bad, either, and were way better than what Tuberville and Kingsbury fielded since then.  The thing standing between him winning conference championships is that he’s coached at fucking Texas Tech and Washington State.

Very true.  I recall one year at Tech where his defense finished something like 22nd overall in the country.  I suppose it's due to his then prolific offenses that this false, no defense stereotype continues to exist.

Another  criticism from the haters that cracks me up is the continuing drumbeat that he never won a conference title.  While true of course, it implies there's absolutely no difference in say, an 11 win season,  and a one win season.  It's absurd of course, and is a better than decent example of them trying a little too hard.

Edited by pigmeat markham

2 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Leach makes yet another weatherman appearance recently when in Lubbock for a book signing.  The original one was 2004.  He is every bit as candid as usual.  They devote 7 minutes of their newscast to him.

If I had another posirep, you'd get it... Leach is a coach against the grain, and Tech should have kept him...

2 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

Why?  Do you want to start losing to Michigan every year?  🤣😉

Yeah, because recruiting to Columbus is a so much like Lubbock and Pullman...

It sucked that the Tennessee thing fell through.  I've always wanted to see Leach coach where he had the resources to back up his football knowledge and not be the constant underdog when playing the big boys.  Part of his allure is also what scares the living fuck out of them:  he's honest as hell and he's going to do things a hellova lot closer to the rules than they are used to.

On 7/31/2018 at 7:35 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Ron Zook won Big Ten Coach of the Year at Illinois. He also won a conference championship. Leach's next conference championship will be his first.

Who's the better coach? Leach is Rich Rodriguez with a more surly demeanor. People remember his big upset wins but conveniently forget the annual losses he has no excuse for. Other than to blame his players in an entertaining press conference. 

I think that says more about how fragile the B1G west has been as far as having a traditional dominating team other than Wisconsin (and before Nebraska was added)...

29 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Isn't one of those games against aggy when he declared himself a pirate..? #AggyBooty

2006 was the interview at Pyle after Harrell hit Robert Johnson in the closing seconds on about a 35 yard go route to turn that party into a crowd leaving church...

” I guess sometimes a pirate can beat a soldier...”

It grew from there.

37 minutes ago, slorch said:

2006 was the interview at Pyle after Harrell hit Robert Johnson in the closing seconds on about a 35 yard go route to turn that party into a crowd leaving church...

” I guess sometimes a pirate can beat a soldier...”

It grew from there.

And it's a classic quote indeed bro..! #Wreck'em..!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 3:25 PM, hpslugga said:

Placing CC expectations on ANY coach in Lubbock or Pullman isn’t realistic at all. Coaching is about leaving the program in better shape than you found it.

Did anyone fear Dykes’ Red Raiders by 1999? As I recall, a fairly mediocre Texas team sent his ass out with his tail between his legs and his balls in his mouth that season. No one gave a shit about Tech by that point, nor should they have.

Did anyone in the PAC 12 give two chunks of baboon shit about Wazzu in 2011? They went 4-8 and finished dead last in the division, which was typical in their post-2003 era in that very brief period of success they enjoyed. 

Not outside of Pullman...

The thing about Leach is that if you gave just two weeks with the current Texas roster. We would see 3 possibly 4 receivers that none of us knew we had, or are playing at a much different level they we knew they could achieve. We would see a O-line rotation that none of us were even aware that we had. And a running attack that produces a plus net average that would be higher then last years team could muster. And most importantly we would see a QB (whoever the fuck he went with, because for Leach it don’t matter) that all of a sudden has confidence and an identity.

But.....we would not get the guy who can live within the executive types. He doesn’t like em, he has no time for their shit. And doesn’t care how they made their millions. He also doesn’t have time to press the flesh, kiss their ass or stand in awe of some guy who is living off of his daddy’s nickel.

Texas will never again hire a coach that can’t work the room. They have tried it, it didn’t work, and they will never go down that road again.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

The thing about Leach is that if you gave just two weeks with the current Texas roster. We would see 3 possibly 4 receivers that none of us knew we had, or are playing at a much different level they we knew they could achieve. We would see a O-line rotation that none of us were even aware that we had. And a running attack that produces a plus net average that would be higher then last years team could muster. And most importantly we would see a QB (whoever the fuck he went with, because for Leach it don’t matter) that all of a sudden has confidence and an identity.

But.....we would not get the guy who can live within the executive types. He doesn’t like em, he has no time for their shit. And doesn’t care how they made their millions. He also doesn’t have time to press the flesh, kiss their ass or stand in awe of some guy who is living off of his daddy’s nickel.

Texas will never again hire a coach that can’t work the room. They have tried it, it didn’t work, and they will never go down that road again.

This is spot on.  Leach would kill it here. Texas football would win games. But the BMDs don’t give that much of a fuck for him to fuck y’all I’m just here for football. 

• 1 month later...

Fuck em all.

Keep winning brother...

and Leach can work the fuck outta a room.  It just ain't gonna be the ass sucking to which they are accustomed.

If they value winning, Leach is their man.

Edited by slorch

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/10/25/former-texas-tech-coach-mike-leach-again-calling-major-expansion-college-football-playoff

Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach is once again calling for major expansion of College Football Playoff 

By SportsDayDFW.com

Mike Leach is once again calling for major changes to the College Football Playoff.

The animated and often outspoken Washington State football head coach, who rose to prominence at Texas Tech in the 2000's, delivered his latest proposal for an expanded playoff during an interview Tuesday on the "Les is More" podcast with The Players' Tribune.

Leach's thoughts? Quadruple the current playoff field, which only stands at four teams and has often created a healthy amount of controversy since its implementation in time for the 2014 season. 

Here's a glimpse of what Leach had to say during the interview:

"I think they need to expand the playoff system. I think the minimum should be 16 teams, but they could easily go with more than that ... in other words, I want to see more football. Everybody from rec league softball on down can figure out how to put together a tournament and yet Division I can't."

It's not the first time that Leach has voiced his dismay with current format. He made the suggestion for a March Madness-like field of 64 teams in a July 2015 interview with ESPN. Leach called the notion "remarkably easy" during the interview, despite the glaring logistical challenges such a format would produce. 

While it's unlikely Leach's original wish will ever be granted, other college football coaches have shared the sentiment that playoff expansion is needed at some point. Among them is TCU head coach Gary Patterson, who saw his team fall from No. 3 to No. 6 in the final playoff rankings of the 2014 season despite a 55-3 win over Iowa State one day earlier. Patterson advocated for a more fathomable expansion -- six to eight teams -- in June 2017, something which he has repeatedly addressed in the time since. 

Though the Horned Frogs are the only team in the playoff era to ever drop out of the top four after a win on the final weekend of the regular season, TCU is far from being the lone school to have been controversially left out of the field. 

In 2016, Big Ten champion Penn State (10-2) was omitted from the field, while Ohio State (11-1) -- who lost to the Nittany Lions in the regular season and failed to even make the conference title game -- earned a playoff berth. The Buckeyes earned a taste of Penn State's "snub" a year later in 2017: winning the Big Ten title with a 10-2 record, but getting left out of the playoff in favor of an 11-1 Alabama team that failed to even reach the SEC Championship Game. 

Other noteworthy names, however, have been less fond of the idea. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, in an interview earlier this year, was reluctant to the notion of playoff expansion, citing that it may give Group of Five schools who don't play as tough competition as the Power Five an unfair chance to crash the party. 

Regardless, all Leach, Patterson, Bowlsby and others can do is voice their opinions and hope that those in charge listen. For now, it's a four-team show in the annual fight to determine college football's national champion. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/10/25/former-texas-tech-coach-mike-leach-again-calling-major-expansion-college-football-playoff

Other noteworthy names, however, have been less fond of the idea. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, in an interview earlier this year, was reluctant to the notion of playoff expansion, citing that it may give Group of Five schools who don't play as tough competition as the Power Five an unfair chance to crash the party. 

Fuck Bowlsby  

A. .Just because ESPN bitches abouy  his offense being a plug and play gimmick so his qbs suck in the nfl doesn't mean it a bad thing.

There are 129 other coaches in college (including Saban) and countless in HS that wish they had a plug and play offense. They all would sell their wives into prostitution if they could take a 2* HS qb nobody wanted and have him torching the field like a 4 year starter the first time they take the field, in a system that not only centers around the qb, but is meant to be called at the line 75% of the time.

Let that sink in... Leach literally 12th man's qbs as if it's an afterthought like other coaches assign water boys.  We wonder lost in the wilderness for years and Leach picks them as if he were picking fruit at Walmart.

He won a Hiesman at Kentucky with Couch and a #1 draft pick.

1999 at OU working with Heupel (who Leach brought in) was the Hiesman runner up in 2000.

His tech qbs led the 8 out of 9 years he was there. They set several ncaa records like Most yards. Most completions (twice) Largest comeback. 

FUCK YOU Shawn Twatson the quarterback Whisperer my ASS...  Leach takes the average joe kidd that's no smarter than any other qbs out there and makes precision bombers out of them.

His recievers run good routes. Rjey also catch the ball. His RBs block really well and are good at picking up blitzes. They catch really well coming out of the backfield. His linemen always give the qbs time. But the most impressive thing is that his teams never drop off when his seniors graduate. His offense keeps going without missing a beat.

His player/coaching tree is solid as fuck. HCs and OCs that are regarded by most as successful coaches. They all run Leach's Air Raid with more running back. A lot of their running plays look like something Leach would draw up. They feature multiple backs,  2 TEs.  I think he has helped those coaches develop a their signature running scheme to keep fans happy with the young coaches so they could succeed.

He is always talking football. Always drawing up plays. Tweaked plays for other coaches. Sitting in bars drawing plays on napkins. Sitting in B12 meetings drawimg up plays on paper plates. Giving late night interviews while drawing up plays with a couple of assistants. He's always talking football. 

Take a look at Briles Offense... That has Leach's fingerprints all over it...

Both are designed around the philosophy of stretching the defense as far wide and deep until they leave gaps and then -Air Raid-dump the ball short and let the reciever/back run into the gaps vacated by the secondary being ran deep. -Veer and Shoot-let the running backs carry the ball into the gaps left by the secondary being ran deep.

They both are designed to work with a pocket (pro style) passer and not a dual threat. Yes i know RGIII... He was a freak that could have succeeded in a Twatson offense. The concept for is to get as many defenders as possible away from the line of scrimmage. Easier done with a non run threat qb. That's why Buechel/Foreman produced 2000k yards on the ground on a shitty Texas team. 

I'm not saying Leach handed Briles a Veer and Shoot playbook one day. But Leach spent quite a bit of time grooming his young assistants to succeed as coaches later on. He's loyal to the ones he brings into coaching. Briles was already an experienced HS coach well known for bringing the spread to Texas, and being closer to Leach's age, they spent a lot of time talking football (Leach's only subject). I would lay odds on the V-S being a joint project between the two. I can't prove it, but it has the same "Controlled Chaos" feel at the snap of the A-R in the play design, it looks like the missing "Running Plays" section from Leach's master playbook, if Leach ever decided to add such a section to the Air Raid. There are things in the Veer and Shoot that could only come from a Pirate's crazy genius.

Both the AR and VS were taylor made for a qb like Colt. Not a qb who looked for a reason to run. He was always pass first. But could gouge the shit out of you when he did take off.

Leach probably has 3 or 4 new offenses laying around. It's funny how everyone wants to debate whether or not his Air Raid could work at Tier One school because of the demands it makes on the defense... I don't remember a lot of Tech's defenses getting gassed. It just wasn't a word commonly associated with Tech. And the few times i can remember attrition setting in on that D was when we had some big nasties on the line and punishing backs. Those teams gassed everyone.

I'm not sure questioning if the AR could work at a Top School is even the right question. I not sure why everyone assumes Leach couldn't draw up running plays to begin with. Personally, i have no doubt he has a playbook of nothing but running plays as thick as his passing AR one (Tech's Leach Playbook was almost 1,000 pages compared to most rarely break 200). But to use Leach's own philosophy, "do something you are good at 100% of the time instead of 50%-60% of the time". "Keep doing it until someone stops you and you can't continue doing it".  "If that happens, your not good at it anymore". "Why change what you're doing if no one stops you?"

Leach attended BYU where he graduated law school, but he didn't play ball there. He didn't play ball in college, only HS football in Wyoming. He developed the the AR off the West Coast Offense BYU was running while he attended.

The WHY behind the Air Raid is the thing nobody talks about, but is the biggest insight into the genius of Mike 'the pirate' Leach.

Everyone knows Leach's coaching history or can find it. It was those early stops that raised the question of how to do more with less. How to be competitive against bigger schools (the Jones) And how to do it without relying continuously on getting the above average talent (that any of the Jones' above you are going to take anyways). 

The AR was not developed to win championships. It was developed by a genius pirate who loved the sport and was given a chance to coach. Where is the fun in playing or coaching if you're not winning? How do you compete against talent heavy teams with ordinary players? How did David slay Goliath? He hit one of his 5 brothers between the numbers with a football.

How do you compete against giants when you have no idea what type of skills your going to get each class out of the leftovers. Running backs need some skill and speed plus it's asking a lot for your linemen to move someone they give up 100 lbs to on a continuous basis. No need to count on running to compete with giants...  In fact the backs will probably need to soend most of their time blocking if we don't want to get our usual half pint, noodle arm killed. 

Genius to design an offense that (back then) unstacked the box and moved everyone away from the line of scrimmage. It probably saved a lot of qb lives on little teams. Run everyone away and hit your backs short (because even weak arms can throw 10 yards). Small linemen only have to get in the way of someone and not move them.

More with less (or nothing). I'm curious if he engineered a plug and play around More with Take Your Pick -and want another or two?-  

It's easy to see how Leach, loving to scheme, tweak plays. Create new plays. Would look back at his Air Raid and spot exactly how he could have went with a system based on the run. You do it all the same as the Air Raid, but instead of short passes into vast green spaces, you just run it instead and call it the Veer and Shoot. But once your Masterpiece is complete, you mothball it until needed.

No reason to keep your secondary offense either, but really curious if it would really work. Your young ex-players now assistant coaches you've been geooming will have a hard enough time installing a new offense they know in and out somewhere else someday. And it would end a young career before it started if it's a bust... But an experienced coach, one who has some experience with the Wishbone AND experience in installing a new offense that he had no prior experience with. "Hey buddy Briles," i wonder if it would work if we stopped throwing the ball.. Do you think it help putting the wide outs as far as possible? Merry Christmas, if you want it. 

It's probably the reason Briles is so secretive with his playbook. It has Leach all over it. 

So the question to me is, can Leach take advantage of all the extra perks at a Tier 1 school and bring home championships?  I think he can. And i have a feeling we will find out soon enough.  He's in great shape to take over the PAC with the big names down right now. WSU could easily become the next Oregon. But i doubt he will be there that long. If they finish strong (doesn't have to beat Washington), ir could happen this offseason. If not, another good season next year and someone will bite. He is a proven winner everywhere he goes. 

The dumbest thing Tech ever did... The way we tanked and are still trying to recover, and OU not looking very OUish a few years here and there,  he might have been able to put them in the big game.

Tceh winning the big one while aggy still the sleeping in the SEC, would've been epic.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Good write up Gaffords, but pretty sure ML went to law school at Pepperdine.

Also for those wondering if his offense would work at a blue blood program, I would submit Lincoln Riley.  Never exactly the same, but pretty close imo.

There’s so much wrong with that write up...  “Leach’s only Subject is football” tells me the poster doesn’t know shit (he wrote a book on Geronimo with buddy levy).  The op also list his online are often giving up 100lbs is again bullshit.  Leach typically has the largest oline in the league (he gives up athleticism for size). I already spoke up his D’s upthread (top 20).  1000 page playbook? Wrong again...  the dude didn’t even get the school or origin of the air raid right   

Edited by SDG
Fix book. Pirates is in the works.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SDG said:

There’s so much wrong with that write up...  “Leach’s only Subject is football” tells me the poster doesn’t know shit (he wrote a book on Geronimo with buddy levy).  The op also list his online are often giving up 100lbs is again bullshit.  Leach typically has the largest oline in the league (he gives up athleticism for size). I already spoke up his D’s upthread (top 20).  1000 page playbook? Wrong again...  the dude didn’t even get the school or origin of the air raid right   

Yah, thought abut his other interests & OL too.  Tech usually had big OL, but smaller receivers a frequently (Think Walker & Amendola).

3 hours ago, Gaffords said:

Just because ESPN bitches abouy  his offense being a plug and play gimmick so his qbs suck in the nfl doesn't mean it a bad thing.

ESPN has been rather supportive of him, and it's been for 2 reasons:

1. They fucking hate Craig James for duping them into believing that fictionalized, melodramatic soap opera only to have the entire story fall apart at the deposition phase in the lawsuit. When you read the depo's of Leach, both Jameses, and Hance, you cannot possibly come away believing any of that fantasy story unless your feelingest of feelings wanted that strongly to believe it from the outset. At that point, I'd say that such persons are either delusional or dishonest with themselves. ESPN knew that.

2. His success at Wazzu. Wazzu, historically, is a trash program and he has turned them into a viable contender for the conference title. When you can keep having that kind of success for that long, "plug and play gimmick" is a very out-of-court accusation that even talking heads on ESPN take care to avoid.

He won a Hiesman at Kentucky with Couch and a #1 draft pick.

Um, no.

Ricky Williams won the Heisman and Couch finished a very distant 4th in the voting. It's true that he was the #1 draft pick for the lowly Browns, I will give you that.

Take a look at Briles Offense... That has Leach's fingerprints all over it...

Except it doesn't.

Briles' offense was fully developed at Stephenville, as in before he ever worked for Leach. And he's not the only offensive coach that worked for him and refused to adapt his system in any way. Manny Matsakis was the Special Teams coach in the same years Briles worked there, and the Triple Shoot remained completely unchanged by the time he took another job.

Here are the similarities between those 3

1. They use a base 10/11 personnel set operated out of spread formations (Briles and Leach go primarily out of the gun, Matsakis is a 50/50 guy on that question)

2. They operate their offenses at an accelerated pace.

Seriously, that's it. They have as much in common with each other as Sid Gillman did with Bill Yeoman.

I'm not saying Leach handed Briles a Veer and Shoot playbook one day. But Leach spent quite a bit of time grooming his young assistants to succeed as coaches later on.

Again, that's bullshit. Briles was going to end up being an NCAA HC whether he worked for Mike Leach or not. 

I would lay odds on the V-S being a joint project between the two.

It's not. The Veer-and-Shoot is exactly what the name implies: a marriage between the Veer and the Run-and-Shoot (mostly Ellison's version as opposed to Davis), both of which significantly pre-date Mike Leach's time in 1st grade. Again, Briles was already running that offense at Stephenville and if he learned anything from Mike Leach, it was to stop being so quirky with his personnel sequencing. He would line up with 5 wides on one play, quickly shift off all 5 of the skill players and then bring in a tight wishbone set to run some sort of option on the very next play. So it was addition by subtraction.

There are things in the Veer and Shoot that could only come from a Pirate's crazy genius.

Such as?

Mike Leach didn't invent a goddamned thing. He perfected a methodology, yes, but to act as if he re-invented the wheel strains credulity. The guts of that offense are nothing more than a fusing of concepts that were made available by people like Bill Walsh, Don Coryell, Norm Chow, Hal Mumme, and Mouse Davis.

not sure why everyone assumes Leach couldn't draw up running plays to begin with.

It's not a question of his ability to draw anything up. That's a given, and he's not all alone in that ability, either. His problem has always been his unwillingness to dedicate himself to it. Bob Stoops once commented that very frequently, the argument of running vs. throwing came up when they discussed 3rd and short plays. Bob usually wanted to run, Mike wanted to pass. It's not that Mike doesn't know how or what to call w/r/t running the ball, he just rarely wants to do it.

Leach attended BYU where he graduated law school

As mentioned, he got his JD from Pepperdine.

It's probably the reason Briles is so secretive with his playbook. It has Leach all over it. 

That's a nice fairy tale.

• Haha 1

You know, I've never heard of anyone spotting Leach in a bar writing about Geronimo on napkins. Or at B12 meetings writing about Geronimo on the back of paper plates. Nor have i heard of sports writers finally getting an informal sitdown with Leach in his office where he's burning the midnight oil with a couple of other coaches writing pages about Geronimo. I can't recall any coach had Leach hand him some notes about Geronimo to improve a dissertation for their quarterback....

But I do know he loves to talk football especially the drunker he gets. He loves to innovate concepts and disguss the feasibility of it working or ways to improve upon old ones. He hasn't been shy about liking a play someone unvails for first time and making some slight variations he sees as ways to get more out of it and gives it to the coach. And it damn sure wasn't papers about Geronimo he successfully trolled the Texas DC with...

I look over there a Leach and it pisses me off, and not over a co-book (btw i didn't mean he eats breaths shits football 24/7 in a literal kind of way, dill hole.) But because we spent a decade in qb purgatory and there's Leach over there with his "i don't care who plays qb, just pick straws" approach. We're Texas quite literally. Inside the talent rich state of Texas and couldn't find a qb who could hit a receiver standing still 20 yards away. 

We recruited some real barn burners, but for the love of god, did anyone actually see them catch a ball? I swear we've had some that had their hands amputated. The precious few times the ball did hit them in stride, it would either go right through where their hands should be, or bounce off of what could only have been stubs.

Leach's receivers came in all shapes and sizes. The only thing they had in common was they didn't focus on short distant races... And they could catch the fucking ball... And they could find areas in the D with nothing but grass around them... And they could block really well for anyone with the ball...

Yes Leach's Oline were usually big boys... Made up of a bunch of left behinds by the every BIG program in the country... We have suffered on the oline for longer than we've suffered at the qb spot. And it's been painful everytime we have one worth a shit graduates. But Leach's line keeps his qbs putting up yards. Business as usual.

We've all sat there watching the game and at sometime are thankful his qbs don't take off. Because there's nothing but thirty yards green if he decided to moonwalk through the gaps. 

We are thankful Joe Kidd qb graduated last year just to sit there asking where the fuck did this kid come from after your pretty good secondary just got lit up once again for 400 yards through the air. 

Yes I'm aware the Air Raid was joint effort too... Just like Geronimo. But please enlighten me of  the origins... 

Do you not know there is a pecking order even for schools like iowa Wesleyan and Valdosta State? There used to be a pretty nasty pecking order for talent in Texas HS football. 

If you are playing organized football there is a pecking order. There's always "those that have" and the "have nots"...

But please do share your wisdom..

3 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

You know, I've never heard of anyone spotting Leach in a bar writing about Geronimo on napkins. Or at B12 meetings writing about Geronimo on the back of paper plates. Nor have i heard of sports writers finally getting an informal sitdown with Leach in his office where he's burning the midnight oil with a couple of other coaches writing pages about Geronimo. I can't recall any coach had Leach hand him some notes about Geronimo to improve a dissertation for their quarterback....

But I do know he loves to talk football especially the drunker he gets. He loves to innovate concepts and disguss the feasibility of it working or ways to improve upon old ones. He hasn't been shy about liking a play someone unvails for first time and making some slight variations he sees as ways to get more out of it and gives it to the coach. And it damn sure wasn't papers about Geronimo he successfully trolled the Texas DC with...

I look over there a Leach and it pisses me off, and not over a co-book (btw i didn't mean he eats breaths shits football 24/7 in a literal kind of way, dill hole.) But because we spent a decade in qb purgatory and there's Leach over there with his "i don't care who plays qb, just pick straws" approach. We're Texas quite literally. Inside the talent rich state of Texas and couldn't find a qb who could hit a receiver standing still 20 yards away. 

We recruited some real barn burners, but for the love of god, did anyone actually see them catch a ball? I swear we've had some that had their hands amputated. The precious few times the ball did hit them in stride, it would either go right through where their hands should be, or bounce off of what could only have been stubs.

Leach's receivers came in all shapes and sizes. The only thing they had in common was they didn't focus on short distant races... And they could catch the fucking ball... And they could find areas in the D with nothing but grass around them... And they could block really well for anyone with the ball...

Yes Leach's Oline were usually big boys... Made up of a bunch of left behinds by the every BIG program in the country... We have suffered on the oline for longer than we've suffered at the qb spot. And it's been painful everytime we have one worth a shit graduates. But Leach's line keeps his qbs putting up yards. Business as usual.

We've all sat there watching the game and at sometime are thankful his qbs don't take off. Because there's nothing but thirty yards green if he decided to moonwalk through the gaps. 

We are thankful Joe Kidd qb graduated last year just to sit there asking where the fuck did this kid come from after your pretty good secondary just got lit up once again for 400 yards through the air. 

Yes I'm aware the Air Raid was joint effort too... Just like Geronimo. But please enlighten me of  the origins... 

Do you not know there is a pecking order even for schools like iowa Wesleyan and Valdosta State? There used to be a pretty nasty pecking order for talent in Texas HS football. 

If you are playing organized football there is a pecking order. There's always "those that have" and the "have nots"...

But please do share your wisdom..

So your basically wrong on everything but are trying to pass it off as you have a clue.  See the post above, you got nothing right own it. 

• immamac changed the title to No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]