No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

.Fun fact about Mike Leach.

When the Pirate isn't eating, breathing, shitting football 24/7. Or off writing about Geronimo, (he is obsessively into History), what few people know about Leach is that he loves to fish. Salt water mainly...  Open water especially. (does love the speckled trout and Red Fish bay action) Off shore marlin and tuna is his favorite.

There is a very selective private charter that exclusively (but not set in stone) works a couple of months out of Cancun, and the TIFT tourney and the TWAT tourney. Outside of those windows it's a very rare occasion for it to accept a charter. ( it has fished other tournaments and private charters over the years from Texas to North Carolina, but those are few and far between.

The boat is owned by an individual in New Orleans and Chartered out of New Orleans (might be Dallas instead, I can't remember), but the boat itself picks up the clients out of Corpus or Padre. With a rare New Orleans or Houston/Galveston thrown in. Outside of it's short three month charter season, the boat is docked in Port Mansfield until winter tjen it's dry docked in Corpus...

When Tech wined and dined Bobby Knight, it was one of those rare occasions the boat took a detour from it's norm...

Mike Leach likes keeping a low profile. Not that he minds people recongizing him and wanting the usual hand shake, but the local media makes it hard to kick back and have a few for as long as you want.

In a little town named Port Mansfield, which sits off the beaten path, yet about as quick and easy to get to compared to anywhere in Texas if you are flying from Lubbock and renting a car.  In Port Mansield, one could kick back in it's little bar without much fuss no matter who you are. In a place where 20 people is a busy night, you don't have to give interviews or constantly have to humor new arrivals who drop by to say hi

But Leach wasn't there for the bar. The 1500 pop town has a captian who has 24/7 access to a luxury fishing vessel which is his to use as his own when it isn't on charter. This captain also owns a sweet shallow runner bay boat...

If i remember right, Leach's first time on this one specific boat happened right before or just after he had taken the OU job. Even though this charter is discrete a la VEGA STYLE, in little town Texas, nothing goes unknown.  

My sister has lived there for decades...

Soon after he hit Lubbock, he made a couple of failed attempts to book a last second Charter the boat with no luck... But being a name any college football fan would know, the boat owner called the captian to see if he was interested in taking out the future pirate on a spur if the moment kinda deal. The captian said no problem and for Leach to call direct. The captain was told to charge Leach whatever he wanted because it was his money, his deal...

Months later, Leach called (this time in advance) to book a spring trip. But the boat would be in cancun during that timeframe, but was given the captain's number so they could figure something out. 

The boat was already dry docked but the captain invited Leach down to do some floundering (gigging) on his commercial license. Leach took him up on the offer and spent a little time 

Leach fished with the captain at least once each year the entire time he was at Tech. This became a friendship..  Or it was more like a bromance between a Pirate and an aggy.  A t-shirt aggy to boot. This bromance is what led to a crowned knight Bobby Knight Being pampered with a very expensive off schedule blue marlin charter. 

I never met Leach. I was in Lubbock his entire time. I met many Tech personas but Leach wasn't one.  I do however know the captain aggy well enough that he used to email me pictures of his little Longhorn flag hanging upside down when OU would win and also the few occasions aggy did. But he isn't that bad. He does fly the longhorn flag above the aggy flag whenever we beat them or OU. He loves college ball and appreciates good players and plays no matter the colors. He can also dish it out after a loss. He's a t-shirt 2% that has a (great) sense of humor.

Then the emails stopped, but only  because text massaging became the thing... They still fish from time to time.

Now i just need for one of the Tech guys that knows the courting of knight to validate this.  The courting of knight is something that few know about, but i bet there is a Tceh boy that knows this is true, if not, I bet one of them can find someone on their boards that can confirm this to be true...  I'm also curious if what took place on the USS Minnow's not so maiden voyage.

It's something I'm not sure made it to many off boat, a Tech peep would have to chime in if anything was ever said about.  What i can only describe as the Ballad of:

The Pirate

The Knight

The Aggy

TCEH

And the Wigs

Note: i didn't bother doing research to make sure everything's 100% factual. This is shit that took place 20 years ago that I've pulled from memory... It isnt like im writing this up for some grade. 

To the idiot who thinks he knows all about the Air Raid and what was Leach's mentality...  You know nothing... You are so far off..  Cute though. Fuck off with your dumb cunt shit.

O the ass hat that thinks he knows Briles offense...  Im not breaking down plays for you i said what i THINK plain and simple. If you can't see Leach's dna all over Briles shit, then i can't help you..

Let some Tceh alumn validate this post.  Then we will go from there... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gaffords said:

O the ass hat that thinks he knows Briles offense...  Im not breaking down plays for you i said what i THINK plain and simple. If you can't see Leach's dna all over Briles shit, then i can't help you..

Who said I needed/wanted your help?

And the contention that there are only bare-assed minimum, tenuous points of contact between those two offenses isn't rooted in opinions, i.e. what you "THINK." It's rooted in history and demonstrable fact, neither of which even remotely support what you said, which was absolutely wrong about absolutely everything it tried to assert/suggest.

Edited by hpslugga

slugga is generally spot on when it comes to the technical side of the fooseball.

I pretty AOK with leach NOT being associated with rape enabling shitheads.

Edited by slorch

Hell, I think Mike’s greatest attribute is he never really took any of this shit as seriously as others seem to. I just don’t see the “pressure” on his face that you see on the Urb’s or Saban’s of the game. Yet he is just as passionate. I used to think it was because he was simply a laid back guy.

But these days I think he is the way he is more so because he is aware that the game is rigged to a point. The alleged email referencing the missed targeting call where he supposedly called out the PAC royalty on manipulating the officiating (the third man in the booth) that would have given him a chance to beat SC quickly went away. I believe that was because it contained more then a small element of truth. And Mike knew crossing that line gets him in the crosshairs again. So unlike Phil Fulmer, Mike backed down and didn’t go rouge by going public like Phil did with Albert Means.

But, that is what bothers me. That email is the proverbial smoking gun. If the PAC does that shit, one has to assume they all do. And that my friends means the whole thing is bullshit. The gambling side, the championships, everything is WWE.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Hell, I think Mike’s greatest attribute is he never really took any of this shit as seriously as others seem to. I just don’t see the “pressure” on his face that you see on the Urb’s or Saban’s of the game. Yet he is just as passionate. I used to think it was because he was simply a laid back guy.

But these days I think he is the way he is more so because he is aware that the game is rigged to a point. The alleged email referencing the missed targeting call where he supposedly called out the PAC royalty on manipulating the officiating (the third man in the booth) that would have given him a chance to beat SC quickly went away. I believe that was because it contained more then a small element of truth. And Mike knew crossing that line gets him in the crosshairs again. So unlike Phil Fulmer, Mike backed down and didn’t go rouge by going public like Phil did with Albert Means.

But, that is what bothers me. That email is the proverbial smoking gun. If the PAC does that shit, one has to assume they all do. And that my friends means the whole thing is bullshit. The gambling side, the championships, everything is WWE.

Good points...

If Mike is going to leave Wazzu for any "big" school I'd expect it to be Florida should that job open up and he get an offer. He already has a house in Key West, I think. I'd love to see his offense in the SEC.

Not sure if he'd want FSU. Probably a no on Miami, too.

Too bad East Carolina is too much of a step backwards.

One of my best friends when I lived in Seattle went to WSU.  When they hired Leach, I told him I was so excited for them bc they were going to go from Wulff to ranked within a few years.  He believed at first, but after they went 3-9 in Leach's 3rd season, I could tell he'd kind of given up.

Since that 2014 season, they haven't won fewer than 8 games.  It was fun texting with him on the game day weekend.

I'm not certain Leach will ever win anything beyond a conference championship, but I am certain he could take over anywhere in the country and, given enough time, get them to 8+ wins/year regularly.  Wazzu was Kansas bad when he took over and they may win the pac12 this year. 

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

One of my best friends when I lived in Seattle went to WSU.  When they hired Leach, I told him I was so excited for them bc they were going to go from Wulff to ranked within a few years.  He believed at first, but after they went 3-9 in Leach's 3rd season, I could tell he'd kind of given up.

Since that 2014 season, they haven't won fewer than 8 games.  It was fun texting with him on the game day weekend.

I'm not certain Leach will ever win anything beyond a conference championship, but I am certain he could take over anywhere in the country and, given enough time, get them to 8+ wins/year regularly.  Wazzu was Kansas bad when he took over and they may win the pac12 this year. 

Time to spread rumor on The Pirate as next KU coach..... back to B12 to whip the west Texas Dirt Aggies....

6 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I fucking love the pirate, but my desire to ever play him again on the reg is somewhere south of zero.

Hell, he only went 2-8 against UT...

I actually REALLY wanted him to go to TN to fuck with some of the SEC people. Their arrogance would be a high target environment for TSO.

and aggy would shit their pants more often than usual.

Edited by slorch

Vintage presser response from a contemplative Leach addressing the question, "What was the best party you ever attended?"  (video won't imbed, but it's in the link.)  I for one would love to see the Pirate in the SEC, even at Auburn.

https://articles.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/09/why_was_mike_leach_discussing.amp

Edited by Bama Llama

19 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

He is a perfect example of why a historically average university must give a coach time. He is true systems guy, and it takes a long time to implement what he does.

He first has to clean out the exsisting players. That alone takes a few years. Only then can he bring in the players that will work in the environment that he, and he alone strictly controls. Add in the fact that he has to work twice as hard as a bigger more successful school for those recruits adds a couple of years to the plan. Then after 5 or 6 years when he finally has his offense going in the right direction he will then, and only then allow valuable scholarships to his defensive staff. 

That is where Tech really missed the boat. He was almost at the point where he was going to be a handful for a very long time. They were at the point where they were scoring plenty of points on anyone they played, but couldn’t field an effective defense. But only because he had not yet had time to build one. And before that could happen one incident, bolstered by a helicopter dad who had a voice on the most powerful sports network did him in. The Adam kid was a spoiled entitled little shit that couldn’t cut it. And one could argue that the kid probably shouldn’t have never been at a D1 school in the first place. He would have probably washed out regardless where he would have enrolled. But by Leech doing his old man a solid by recruiting him, he managed to kill his own career. 

19 hours ago, slorch said:

I actually REALLY wanted him to go to TN to fuck with some of the SEC people. Their arrogance would be a high target environment for TSO.

If Leach got into the SEC aggy would melt down.  For that alone I am all for it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, slorch said:

Yup - nothing would be better than Leach landing in the SEC W with aggy. He wore them out in the 00's, and the Tech-aggy game was perennial must-watch tv.  

On 10/31/2018 at 5:58 AM, Hamttx said:

I remember as a kld watching games with my father, and everything would go to hell in a hand basket for whoever we were rooting for whether Texas, The Cowboys or the Astros, I'd get so pissed it was ridiculous.   Nearly each and every time he would calmly tell me, "son, it's all bought off".  Being very young, I don't know how accurate he was on that back in the day, but I guarantee you he'd be saying it a hell of a lot more often not.

Fox Sports recently ran a short segment trailing a camera crew around Pullman for Mike's daily walk.  It was the week before Halloween.  Mike sauntered along a sidewalk faced by Craftsman bungalows, absolutely no one around, steaming large coffee in hand, gazing at brilliant blue skies and autumn leaves, when he just. Stopped.  And wheeled ninety degrees to gaze in rapt wonder at a front yard full of ghosts, bizarre jackolanterns and cornstalk monsters.  He just stood rooted there without moving for a good fifteen or twenty seconds, taking it all in as if memorizing the scene.  As he said in the live mascots video clip, he's "curious."  Bravo, Pirate.  I hope that fucking Auburn eagle flies the hell out of the stadium this week, right after he squirts about two quarts of eagle shit on the Aubies and snatches off a wig hat or two.  Leach to Auburn - free the eagles!

On 10/30/2018 at 7:22 PM, Gaffords said:

.Fun fact about Mike Leach.

When the Pirate isn't eating, breathing, shitting football 24/7. Or off writing about Geronimo, (he is obsessively into History), what few people know about Leach is that he loves to fish. Salt water mainly...  Open water especially. (does love the speckled trout and Red Fish bay action) Off shore marlin and tuna is his favorite.

There is a very selective private charter that exclusively (but not set in stone) works a couple of months out of Cancun, and the TIFT tourney and the TWAT tourney. Outside of those windows it's a very rare occasion for it to accept a charter. ( it has fished other tournaments and private charters over the years from Texas to North Carolina, but those are few and far between.

The boat is owned by an individual in New Orleans and Chartered out of New Orleans (might be Dallas instead, I can't remember), but the boat itself picks up the clients out of Corpus or Padre. With a rare New Orleans or Houston/Galveston thrown in. Outside of it's short three month charter season, the boat is docked in Port Mansfield until winter tjen it's dry docked in Corpus...

When Tech wined and dined Bobby Knight, it was one of those rare occasions the boat took a detour from it's norm...

Mike Leach likes keeping a low profile. Not that he minds people recongizing him and wanting the usual hand shake, but the local media makes it hard to kick back and have a few for as long as you want.

In a little town named Port Mansfield, which sits off the beaten path, yet about as quick and easy to get to compared to anywhere in Texas if you are flying from Lubbock and renting a car.  In Port Mansield, one could kick back in it's little bar without much fuss no matter who you are. In a place where 20 people is a busy night, you don't have to give interviews or constantly have to humor new arrivals who drop by to say hi

But Leach wasn't there for the bar. The 1500 pop town has a captian who has 24/7 access to a luxury fishing vessel which is his to use as his own when it isn't on charter. This captain also owns a sweet shallow runner bay boat...

If i remember right, Leach's first time on this one specific boat happened right before or just after he had taken the OU job. Even though this charter is discrete a la VEGA STYLE, in little town Texas, nothing goes unknown.  

My sister has lived there for decades...

Soon after he hit Lubbock, he made a couple of failed attempts to book a last second Charter the boat with no luck... But being a name any college football fan would know, the boat owner called the captian to see if he was interested in taking out the future pirate on a spur if the moment kinda deal. The captian said no problem and for Leach to call direct. The captain was told to charge Leach whatever he wanted because it was his money, his deal...

Months later, Leach called (this time in advance) to book a spring trip. But the boat would be in cancun during that timeframe, but was given the captain's number so they could figure something out. 

The boat was already dry docked but the captain invited Leach down to do some floundering (gigging) on his commercial license. Leach took him up on the offer and spent a little time 

Leach fished with the captain at least once each year the entire time he was at Tech. This became a friendship..  Or it was more like a bromance between a Pirate and an aggy.  A t-shirt aggy to boot. This bromance is what led to a crowned knight Bobby Knight Being pampered with a very expensive off schedule blue marlin charter. 

I never met Leach. I was in Lubbock his entire time. I met many Tech personas but Leach wasn't one.  I do however know the captain aggy well enough that he used to email me pictures of his little Longhorn flag hanging upside down when OU would win and also the few occasions aggy did. But he isn't that bad. He does fly the longhorn flag above the aggy flag whenever we beat them or OU. He loves college ball and appreciates good players and plays no matter the colors. He can also dish it out after a loss. He's a t-shirt 2% that has a (great) sense of humor.

Then the emails stopped, but only  because text massaging became the thing... They still fish from time to time.

Now i just need for one of the Tech guys that knows the courting of knight to validate this.  The courting of knight is something that few know about, but i bet there is a Tceh boy that knows this is true, if not, I bet one of them can find someone on their boards that can confirm this to be true...  I'm also curious if what took place on the USS Minnow's not so maiden voyage.

It's something I'm not sure made it to many off boat, a Tech peep would have to chime in if anything was ever said about.  What i can only describe as the Ballad of:

The Pirate

The Knight

The Aggy

TCEH

CSB. I was in Mountain Highway when Dr. Schmidley came in to buy a fly rod for Coach Knight as a “Welcome to Lubbock” gift. Pretty nice Sage. 

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I hate to say it, and I hope I'm wrong...

Coach Leach may be buying his own hype, and as a result getting full of himself.

He would have answered the question if what you say is true.

He's always had an ounce of cockiness as a coach.  He generally measures it though.

You don't do what he has, now twice bringing meaty okra( at best) programs to the national discussion; without having some confidence.

• immamac changed the title to No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]