The best beer you have ever drank

markstanco

If we are talking "event"...I would say the time i hiked high in the sierra's fly fishing...stuck a 6'er of yellow bellies in the creek and came back 2 hours later...sweaty as a motherfucker but worn out from catching wild trout...sat down on a rock and drank them bitches that were ice cold.  probably the last memory that will go through my mind on my death bed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

csb/

In high school I got pretty good at chugging beers out of German steins.  It was fun to have some competition with my buddies while getting plastered.

Fast forward to freshman year of college at SWT.  I was a pledge and the frat decided to have a rare pledge/bro event at ... shit I don't remember, maybe Grin's.  Anyway we're getting drunk and talking shit and somehow it comes up that I'm good at chugging beers.  The shit hit the fan.  Lots of 'fuck you's' and 'let's see it pussy' back and forth.  One guy brought out the cash and flashed it around, 'you fucking pledges put your money where your mouth is - I've got 20 that says he Mach 1 can't down a pitcher in a minute!"  

I stayed Zen like.  My buddies all gathered around with the 'can you do it?' ' what do you think?'  I stated very calmly, "I'll do it in fucking 30 seconds."

Pandemonium, everyone went berserk. Hooping, hollering, money changing hands all over the fucking place, manager threatening to throw us out.  I was totally confident, had it in the bag, except ...

A pitcher is apparently 1.5 liters.  A stein is 1 liter.  So I chugged about 90% of the pitcher in about 10 seconds and BOOM, hit the wall.  Stomach full, seeing stars, head wobbling - I didn't really know where I was.  And then I let out the largest burp of my life, seemed to go on forever.  I was still kind of out of it when one of my pledge brothers shoved dollar bills in my face and screamed, "YOU STILL HAVE 5 SECONDS!"  I grabbed the pitcher, downed the rest.  Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

I went straight to the head and threw up. But I made over a $100 bucks on that beer, which is a lot for a freshman in college, so yeah, probably the best beer I ever drank.

/csb

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Affligem straight out of the tap and served in a goblet in Vlissingen, The Netherlands, as a way too over confident 25 year old blessed with the opportunity to live in Europe straight out of school. Best beer ever. 

PS - even the little 5 oz Heinekens out of the tap - the biertje, or little beer - were also amazing

Edited by b_p

Had my first Pliny the Elder in Chico about this time last year. Did not disappoint. It was fantastic! My first real eye-opening beer experience was when I went backpacking through Europe after graduation in 1996. Drinking Kolsch in Cologne — best beer I’d ever tasted at that point. It was so damn good. Then I about OD’ed on Hofbrauhaus in Munich. That trip made me start drinking better beer when I got home. Life was too short to drink shitty beer when it was my choice.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, b_p said:

Affligem straight out of the tap and served in a goblet in Vlissingen, The Netherlands, as a way too over confident 25 year old blessed with the opportunity to live in Europe straight out of school. Best beer ever. 

PS - even the little 5 oz Heinekens out of the tap - the biertje, or little beer - were also amazing

Quite possibly the worst beer I’ve had was on Koninginnedag in Amsterdam in 2005.  Locals said it was like Mardi Gras in Amsterdam.  In reality it was a techno music fest with warm beer and no tits. Regardless of size, warm Heineken is shitty. 

Edited by brown water

When I was 18 my dad and I had an Old Style at Wrigley Field.  He is a cheap bastard and said the beer cost the same or cheaper than a coke.  

I grew up a Cubs fan in Texas (my mom grew up there and was a big fan) and it is still the only time I’ve been to a game there.  We had seats on the 7th row right by Mark Grace and Harry Caray did his thing.  Fucking great day and great beer!

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 9:32 PM, markstanco said:

This topic can be on many levels. Beers available to you. Beers you have drank out of country. Beers in regions you arent in.

To me there are two and only two. Alaskan Amber. What a great beer. It's got some hop and very malty. Somewhat fruity as well. Before texas got it, I had my rep from Oregon ship me a 6er that I paid for once a year.

My 2nd choice is local. Revolver. Got dang blood and honey is great. This to me is a heavy beer that I can only drink 2 of them. Great burger beer. Not at all a beer you can sit and drink 4 of them at a bar because the alco content is a bit on the high side.

Let's hear more suggestions.

Tried Revolver Blood and Honey last night for the first time.  Great recommendation  You are right, this beer makes you want a damn good burger to go with it.  Will keep in the rotation.  Cheers.  

Since we are telling stories, I still have a spot in my heart (and stomach) for an ice cold PBR
That's right Pabst Blue Ribbon - I worked construction for a couple of summers with a friends Dad who was a site Superintendent building some schools. He take 3 or 4 of us with him, construction was about 2 hours away and we'd stay in his cottage on a small lake. Every day after work he'd pull into a party store and pick up a 12'er of PBR and we'd all hoot and holler for Miller Lite, or Strohs's. Bud, Fosters Lager, etc. And he'd always say for us to just go in and buy what we wanted; which was a problem because we weren't old enough to buy beer. 
So every day we'd bitch about it, then drink some of that cold, free PBR. I look back at those days with fond memories
So when I get a cold PBR these days it takes me back to the late 70's, at the lake, bonfire after a good days work - doesn't get much better than that.

2 hours ago, PorscheGuy said:

Tried Revolver Blood and Honey last night for the first time.  Great recommendation  You are right, this beer makes you want a damn good burger to go with it.  Will keep in the rotation.  Cheers.  

Revolver is about 5 minutes from my house, you need to go to one of their Saturday afternoon tastings, they have some really good beers that are not in stores. They have a stout (Mother's Little Fracker)that is really good, the Revolver Bock is better than Shiner. I think you can get the Bock at HEB now. Their brewmaster was the head brewmaster at Samuel Adams for decades, even seen him on a Sam Adams commercial. He was from Texas and wanted to come home. Brett, the owner before they sold out to Coors is also a Texas-Ex.

CHIEF

• Like 1

Could have been part situational, part taste.

6 years ago.  Memorial Day.  School had just let out for the summer.  Yearly family trip with three other families to Ohio.  Reds game. Great American Ballpark.  Temp about 78.  Friend of mine came back with an ice-cold KY Bourbon Barrel.  I'd never had one.  Perfection.

Had a guy whose cousin was a flight attendant fly me over three Augustiner Helles bottles from Munich back in 2009.  I saved them to drink during the national championship game.  I was half way through the first one when Colt went down.  The rest were delicious, but bittersweet.  

On 9/22/2020 at 8:44 PM, C-Man said:

Had my first Pliny the Elder in Chico about this time last year. Did not disappoint. It was fantastic! My first real eye-opening beer experience was when I went backpacking through Europe after graduation in 1996. Drinking Kolsch in Cologne — best beer I’d ever tasted at that point. It was so damn good. Then I about OD’ed on Hofbrauhaus in Munich. That trip made me start drinking better beer when I got home. Life was too short to drink shitty beer when it was my choice.

I don't like double IPAs, but Pliny the Elder definitely is an exception.  I've been trying to remember the place we went in Cologne.  But real Kolsch is at treat.

On 9/22/2020 at 6:50 PM, CooterBrown said:

I don’t remember the details on why but St. Bernardus Abt 12, which is pretty easy to find, is the original Westvleteren 12 recipe.

Westvlretren used to be brewed at St. Bernardus until I think the early 90's when they moved the production into Saint-Sixtus. Originally if I recall correctly St. Bernardus was just a cheese manufacturer, and Westvletren used them for production purposes. St. Bernardus still makes makes cheese today which is really damn good. Also they have a badass B&B which I always recommend to anyone going to Belgium. Its was like $100 a night with a free beer fridge, and they give you bikes to ride into town. Saint Sixtus is about 3 miles away and easily worth the trip and probably the best beer I have ever had due to the experience, being an awesome beer, and around 9 in the morning.

• Hook 'Em 1

The best beer I ever drank was a frozen mug full of tap Budweiser. Now let me explain the extenuating circumstances. We were building oilfield roads in the middle of nowhere Parker County. It was 105. The truck had no a/c and an exhaust leak. At the end of the day we all stopped at a bar on Jacksboro Highway and ordered pitchers. Bud was the only tap beer they had and it was cold. When that icy cold beer hit my tongue it was the best motherfucking thing I had ever tasted. 

8 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Westvlretren used to be brewed at St. Bernardus until I think the early 90's when they moved the production into Saint-Sixtus. Originally if I recall correctly St. Bernardus was just a cheese manufacturer, and Westvletren used them for production purposes. St. Bernardus still makes makes cheese today which is really damn good. Also they have a badass B&B which I always recommend to anyone going to Belgium. Its was like $100 a night with a free beer fridge, and they give you bikes to ride into town. Saint Sixtus is about 3 miles away and easily worth the trip and probably the best beer I have ever had due to the experience, being an awesome beer, and around 9 in the morning.

They have a giant brewpub now.