The best beer you have ever drank

markstanco

This topic can be on many levels. Beers available to you. Beers you have drank out of country. Beers in regions you arent in.

To me there are two and only two. Alaskan Amber. What a great beer. It's got some hop and very malty. Somewhat fruity as well. Before texas got it, I had my rep from Oregon ship me a 6er that I paid for once a year.

My 2nd choice is local. Revolver. Got dang blood and honey is great. This to me is a heavy beer that I can only drink 2 of them. Great burger beer. Not at all a beer you can sit and drink 4 of them at a bar because the alco content is a bit on the high side.

Let's hear more suggestions.

• Hook 'Em 1

My favorite is easily Pliny the Elder. It’s an excellent beer but it’s undoubtedly even more special because it’s not available in Texas. I look for it whenever I’m in CO/CA and it never disappoints.

Although one of the best beer drinking moments I’ve ever had was this one:

f52110ea4cd68a528bb8a22047f5448b.jpg

I remember liking the beer a lot but the experience was hard to beat. We had hiked up into the mountains in Banff on the Plain of Six Glaciers trail. It was May and the sun was shining at it felt great outside. The warmth was causing the glaciers to melt and avalanches were occurring all around the canyons. We sat on a glacier for about an hour drinking these beers and watching it all happen. Pretty memorable experience and I remember enjoying that beer about as much as I’ve ever enjoyed a beer. Luckily our glacier of choice never avalanched.

• Hook 'Em 1

the best beer I've had was the ice cold Bud Light that I drank at 3 AM after a long, miserable drive to Big Sur.   I parked the rented van, reached into the cooler, and retrieved that wonderful 12 oz. can.  It tasted better than the precious vagina of the beautiful woman in the passenger seat for that trip. 

@wild_turkey Another vote for Pliny the Elder from Russian River Brewing  Company.  I lived like a mile from there around the time they had been open just a year or so, you could just walk up the bar and get one with no line any day of the week.  The Pliny the Younger was very good also.   Wasn’t many beers they did bad at all.  They got my love of good hops going at a young age there.

Edited by Hook1997

The cold Coors stubby that came out of the cooler in the bed of my truck after a 3 day hike on the south rim of the Chisos in Big Bend.  It was awesome.  

or

We went elk hunting in CO and when we left to go back to Houston we put a six pack of canned Coors in the spring below the old cabin we stayed in.  When we returned the next year we walked down to the spring and retrieved the six pack.  Most of the ink had faded off the cans but the beer was in perfect condition and tasted just fine.  More of a novelty best beer moment. 

• Like 2

Overall, there’s a taproom in London called The Experiment that a collaboration between Verdant Brewing and Pressure Drop Brewing. Verdant has mastered the NEIPA style. The absolute best one I tried was Unconventional Tactics. Damn near made me cry it was so perfect. Seriously, I don’t think Verdant had one beer I tried that was less than great.

In the US, Tiger Millionaire from Modern Times at the OG taproom in Point Loma. A triple NEIPA. Beyond ridiculous.

For a beer you can get anytime, anywhere, Tank 7 from Boulevard is a really nice fucking beer.

Locally, I’d go with the Hazy Marco from Zilker followed closely by Electric Jellyfish from Pinthouse.

It would be really tough to say.

This pour really stuck out in my mind, though. Pulpit Rock Pillow Talk, raspberry sour. Last pour of the first keg of it they ever released. Raspberry chunks all over. I was picking up beer to drink during an ISU/Baylor basketball game. We won, fuck Baylor.

285a793495cadc0fa143b97147c64d4a.jpg

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

The cold Coors stubby that came out of the cooler in the bed of my truck after a 3 day hike on the south rim of the Chisos in Big Bend.  It was awesome.  

or

We went elk hunting in CO and when we left to go back to Houston we put a six pack of canned Coors in the spring below the old cabin we stayed in.  When we returned the next year we walked down to the spring and retrieved the six pack.  Most of the ink had faded off the cans but the beer was in perfect condition and tasted just fine.  More of a novelty best beer moment. 

This reminded me of hauling hay as a teenager. We would put a couple of sixers of Coors in one of the springs along the creek. Hotter than hell usually. Haul a load, drink a beer, rinse, repeat. 18 was the legal age back then and at least one of us was 18. Certainly not the best beer I've had but some of the the best beer drinking memories.

• Hook 'Em 1

The best beer I've ever had was a Lone Star I had after mowing the lawn on a 98 degree day. It was ice cold and the most refreshing thing i've ever drank in my entire life.

The most in-demand fancy beer I've ever had was Three Floyds Bourbon-Barrel aged vanilla bean stout Dark Lord.

My favorite in categories:

Wheat beer - Gumballhead - also from Three Floyds

Readily-available IPA -Two Hearted 

IPA in general - Pliney. 

I don't drink enough of the other kinds to have one that I can say is my favorite. I typically don't like belgians because they're too sweet, but I have liked Goose Island's Matilda. I also like their farmhouse beer Sofie.

The beer I've enjoyed the most in my life was a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA.  I don't particularly love that beer, but we had just finished climbing North Maroon Peak (one of the famous Maroon Bells near Aspen), and headed back to the airport.  I wasn't driving, and was on an adrenaline high from the climb.  That beer hit me like a sack of bricks, in the best way possible.  Riding shotgun, staring out at the mountains.

Miller Lite at the 2015 Masters with my dad. He never thought he’d go to the tournament.  The wife was gifted tickets by a friend and she immediately suggested dad should take her place.  Got a bit dusty sipping a beer and downing a pimento cheese as we walked past the leaderboard and to the first tee on Friday morning. Mom calls every year now to let me know he’s tearing up when the first commercial and Augusta theme is playing. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It would be really tough to say.

This pour really stuck out in my mind, though. Pulpit Rock Pillow Talk, raspberry sour. Last pour of the first keg of it they ever released. Raspberry chunks all over. I was picking up beer to drink during an ISU/Baylor basketball game. We won, fuck Baylor.

285a793495cadc0fa143b97147c64d4a.jpg

That's a beer?   That looks like something from a 7-11 slurpee machine.

• Hook 'Em 3

Deschutes The Abyss

I pick up a couple of bottles every year. 

One year one of the beer bars near me somehow had The Abyss on draft and was serving 16 oz pours for $5. Clearly they didn't know what they had, and I don't think per TABC they're supposed to serve an 11.4 ABV in a pint glass. Nevertheless, that was a real good week.

38 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Deschutes The Abyss

I pick up a couple of bottles every year. 

One year one of the beer bars near me somehow had The Abyss on draft and was serving 16 oz pours for $5. Clearly they didn't know what they had, and I don't think per TABC they're supposed to serve an 11.4 ABV in a pint glass. Nevertheless, that was a real good week.

Also a great pick.  A couple years ago they had rum barrel and tequila barrel aged versions which were terrible.  Every bourbon barrel version I've tried is great.  

11 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Also a great pick.  A couple years ago they had rum barrel and tequila barrel aged versions which were terrible.  Every bourbon barrel version I've tried is great.  

Yeah I didn't even try those goofy offshoots. Why mess with perfection. 

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The beer I've enjoyed the most in my life was a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA.  I don't particularly love that beer, but we had just finished climbing North Maroon Peak (one of the famous Maroon Bells near Aspen), and headed back to the airport.  I wasn't driving, and was on an adrenaline high from the climb.  That beer hit me like a sack of bricks, in the best way possible.  Riding shotgun, staring out at the mountains.

great choice as well

The one( or 8.    ) that I had when that little envelope from West Point arrived at the house and Texas A&M was no longer in the equation for my son.

Edited by slorch

Deschutes Chasin' Freshies is one of my favorite all-time beers when you can actually get some.  It's a fresh hopped IPA, so the flavor is a lot cleaner and smoother than a lot of common IPA's, and it's color is absolutely amazing.  

One of the best beers I've ever had in my life was after Hurricane Harvey.  We were in Beaumont the Thurs-Sat after the main part of the storm with boats and about 5 trailer loads of food.  I cooked hot food for people from Friday night at 5PM until Saturday at midnight, pretty much non-stop.  I was dead-tired, dehydrated and hungrier than a hostage.  A buddy came up to me with a 6er of ice cold Shiner Ruby Redbird.  It was the most refreshing and calming beer I've ever had in my life at that time.  

Best beer I ever drank for me has 2 entries.  Well, more like most memorable.

1. 20 years ago I went fishing in Alaska in a remote location (i.e. float plane in, "see ya in 6 days", float plane out) with a buddy of mine.  We packed some whiskey, but the weight restrictions didn't make loading up 6 days worth of beer feasible.  It was a great trip, but exhausting, and we were stuck for an extra day due to weather.  We got back to Ketchikan and took the best shower of my life, then went to a local spot for some fried halibut sandwiches and about the coldest, most refreshing beer of my life.  I have no idea what it was, and it really didn't matter.  Something hoppy.

2.  5-6 years ago went skiing with a different buddy.  Had a great day, very few breaks, and we were freaking worn out.  We went into a local pizza joint and they had Pliny the Elder on tap.  I had never had it, but had heard of it.  That first sip was magnificent.  Not just the taste of the beer, but the shot of adrenaline it gave me.  We camped out for about 3 hours and got shit-can hammered and ate an entire pizza each.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1.  Pliny the Elder

2.  Westvleteren 12 (that a wife's friend brought 2 of back to us in a suitcase from trip to Belgium)

3.  That keg of Velvet Hammer my wife bought for my 40th birthday surprise party that I got to not only get hammered on but also got to watch folks not accustomed to drinking craft beer hammer down like it was a regular old Bud Light and then reap the rewards.  

Fishing the Lower Laguna Madre out of Arroyo City and we were staying at a little lodge called the Kingfisher Inn. It was one of those hot as hell late August days where it's 97 on the water, and not a breath of breeze, the water is so still it has an oily sheen, and the water and sky kind of blend together. It was our last fishing day, so we hit it hard and stayed on the water until 5:30 or so. When we got back to the lodge, the owner had filled a cooler with Tecate cans, and dumped a couple bags of ice and rock salt on top. That Tecate, dripping briny water, with little ice flecks in the beer was like drinking heaven itself. 

In my sophomore year in high school, my buddies and I were hanging out in the parking lot of Taco Bell.  A beer distribution truck came to a screeching halt at the red light in front of us, back door swung open, and roughly two and a half case of Coors Extra Gold feel out onto the street.  Ran up to the driver to let him know and he told us we could keep the beer if we closed the trailer door.  Two and a half cases of free beer as a 15 year old would probably fall into the "best beer" category.