Breakfast Tacos in Houston

Caddox

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Taqo. No lines. 

Laredo Taqueria. Long lines. 

Gun to my head, Laredo is better. Taqo doesn’t have refried beans. This is a problem. 

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

spacer.png

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They’re sort of a healthier concept. They only serve black beans. 

silver-linings-playbook-what-the-fuck-bo

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Any good breakfast taco trucks Inside The Loop?  Yes I know about the one by West Alabama Icehouse. 

Tacos Tierra Caliente. Same team run the gas station taqueria at the jew filling station that opened up in Durham and like 16th Street about a year ago. For anyone looking for more options in the heights area. 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Tacos Tierra Caliente. Same team run the gas station taqueria at the jew filling station that opened up in Durham and like 16th Street about a year ago. For anyone looking for more options in the heights area. 

Do they serve lox and cream cheese tacos?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is a bizarre joke/question that clearly I don’t understand. 

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m sure on how they run their businesses, but Tacos Tierra Caliente is the name of the truck permanently parked at West Alabama Icehouse. There’s also a Tierra Caliente in the Exxon at 1500 Shepherd Drive. 

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m sure on how they run their businesses, but Tacos Tierra Caliente is the name of the truck permanently parked at West Alabama Icehouse. There’s also a Tierra Caliente in the Exxon at 1500 Shepherd Drive. 

Yes. That’s the one I was referring. They’re the same folks. I read about it when they opened that Exxon. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes. That’s the one I was referring. They’re the same folks. I read about it when they opened that Exxon. 

The location at 1500 Shepherd wasn't as good as the original truck location. But hey, it's a really convenient location and a pretty good taco. No complaints. 

Brothers Taco House on Dowling Emancipation was really solid as well. Always liked that I could sprinkle in a spicy beef fajita with my usual breakfast fare. 

*also if the line looks long, don't worry. There's not really an inside other than the bar. If the line is out of the door, it's probably only 10 deep. The tacos are dished up cafeteria style, so it moves really quickly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The location at 1500 Shepherd wasn't as good as the original truck location. But hey, it's a really convenient location and a pretty good taco. No complaints. 

Agreed, but you also don't need cash to pay at the gas station location* so that's a plus.  And it was way faster. 

*Have been out of Houston 9 months, no idea if the truck at WAIH is still cash only during COVID 

50 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Brothers Taco House on Dowling Emancipation was really solid as well. Always liked that I could sprinkle in a spicy beef fajita with my usual breakfast fare. 

*also if the line looks long, don't worry. There's not really an inside other than the bar. If the line is out of the door, it's probably only 10 deep. The tacos are dished up cafeteria style, so it moves really quickly.

This is about .25 miles from me so I'm gonna have to finally try it.

Agree on the Durham Exxon, solid, but not as good as the actual truck at W Alabama.   In that area, there is a truck at Durham just north of 10, next to the Wendy’s.  It’s been there for at least 20 years, very solid, cash only.  

Also, there is a new Shell on TC Jester, 2 blocks north of 10, featuring Taqueria Durango, which I think is from the Truck parked at Fiesta Liquor on Shepherd and 610 for years.   Basically the exact same setup as the newer Exxon.    The ability to pay with a card is a huge bonus.   They also have egg and cheese and bacon that you can just grab instead of standing in line and waiting.   Had it the other day, very solid, no beans tho.   Next time I will wait in line, but if you are in a rush, the grab and go is a great option.  $2 a taco.  They also offer the ability to buy home made tortillas.  

Edited by Ted Lange
  • Hook 'Em 2

I go to Tierra Caliente on the reg when having pops at WAIH.  Love their regular tacos and quesadillas.

I've only had their breakfast tacos once....they weren't good.  like at all.  This was several years ago though, so maybe they've improved.

La Mex on Montrose/Fairview makes a  good breakfast taco.

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Agree on the Durham Exxon, solid, but not as good as the actual truck at W Alabama.   In that area, there is a truck at Durham just north of 10, next to the Wendy’s.  It’s been there for at least 20 years, very solid, cash only.  

Also, there is a new Shell on TC Jester, 2 blocks north of 10, featuring Taqueria Durango, which I think is from the Truck parked at Fiesta Liquor on Shepherd and 610 for years.   Basically the exact same setup as the newer Exxon.    The ability to pay with a card is a huge bonus.   They also have egg and cheese and bacon that you can just grab instead of standing in line and waiting.   Had it the other day, very solid, no beans tho.   Next time I will wait in line, but if you are in a rush, the grab and go is a great option.  $2 a taco.  They also offer the ability to buy home made tortillas.  

Lol. Dude, we seriously must live 5 minutes from each other. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Tylerocks said:
5 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

I go to

I go to Tierra Caliente on the reg when having pops at WAIH.  Love their regular tacos and quesadillas.

I've only had their breakfast tacos once....they weren't good.  like at all.  This was several years ago though, so maybe they've improved.

This is correct. Tierra Caliente makes very good traditional tacos, but their breakfast tacos are average.

I recall Taqueria El Primo having a truck by Wendy’s and another by Fiesta Liquor. They are generally really good.

• 3 weeks later...
Sunrise was damn good but took forever. There were four people siting and waiting for tacos but we were the only ones there. Their red sauce is legit. 

They are slow. But they are made to order with one old lady making the tacos. I call ahead and I usually don’t wait long at all. Still, unless it’s more than 3-5 minutes it’s worth the wait. I like the hot green sauce.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/22/2020 at 6:12 PM, tx ind said:

Chilosos if I’m in town, Sierra Madre because I live in the burbs 

Chiloso’s chorizo and egg with the green sauce is pretty outstanding. I don’t really like anything else on their menu. 

Taqo FINALLY starting serving refried beans. I’ll definitely take down a chorizo and egg on flour this weekend.