Three! herniated discs

Beau Vine

9 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

As someone who just had laminectomy/discectomy of L4/L5 compression 2 days ago, I feel your pain. Worst pain of my life when it acutely herniated and deadened my entire left leg

They told me 5-10 years ago that I had degenerative discs, and the weird thing is that I have been in a lot more pain than this.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Newdoc said:

It’s all relative. Herniated in itself is not painful. It’s what the herniated disc presses on is what makes it painful. YMMV.

This right here.  I herniated L5-S1, had the discectomy, herniated it again, another discectomy, and never had a moment of pain in my back.  Sciatic nerve down the back of my leg was a whole other story.  

49 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

This right here.  I herniated L5-S1, had the discectomy, herniated it again, another discectomy, and never had a moment of pain in my back.  Sciatic nerve down the back of my leg was a whole other story.  

Well, if you'd learn to flare and put 'er down gently instead of slammin' 'er down like a carrier pilot ...

Was there something traumatic that caused this or just gradual degradation with age, weight gain, and lethargy? Some can benefit from weight loss, stretching, and strengthening neighboring core muscles. Others require a discectomy. Beg your surgeon (go neuro over orthopedic spine) to preserve as much of the annulus as possible.