Best Stand Up Ever Recorded

ztejas

What do y'all think? Obviously this is hugely subjective but just wanted to hear what some favorites are. Just sat down and started Richard Pryor Live in Concert (1979). This would have to make a short list for me, as would Live at The Sunset Strip (1982) and Here and Now (1983).

I think my #1 is probably Chappelle For What It's Worth (2004). The entire special from start to finish is killer. 

Others I love are Louis C.K. Live at The Beacon Theatre, Steve Martin Let's Get Small, Daniel Tosh Completely Serious...

Well fuck, there's just too many to name really. 

What is #1 for you and some honorable mentions?

Hard to disagree with anything mentioned already, but don't sleep on the great standup from the past decade.

John Mulaney's "Kid Gorgeous" or "The Comeback Kid"

Mike Birbiglia's "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend"

Bill Burr's "Let It Go"

Tom Segura's "Completely Normal."

Edited by Tom

The single funniest start-to-finish standup special ever, in the history of comedy, is as stated above, Eddie Murphy's "Delirious"  

It was like releasing Led Zeppelin I, II, III, IV, Houses of the Holy, and Physical Graffiti.......all at once.  

I appreciate that there were old school comics that didn't benefit from Netflix and Youtube, and put out incredible shit like Carlin, Pryor, Bruce, et. al.  

Having said that, thanks for starting this thread because there are a number of worthy discussions to be had on the second funniest and here...we...go

Edited by Lobo

Pryor's career, start to finish, may be the best of any comedian of all-time.  I grant you that.  Richard's overall body of material may never be topped.  But nobody, ever, did a funnier hour-long than "Delirious."  There is no equal as far as a single special.  Ever.  There are better bits, better comics, better careers, better trend setters, better ground breakers.  But nobody ever did an hour set funnier than "Delirious."  But I love talking comedy, so we can take this anywhere else.  

Delirious and Raw are the only two stand-up specials that I continually laugh throughout the entire show, no matter how many times I watch.  Both are structured so perfectly, it’s amazing to realize how young he was when he did those shows.

I enjoy a wide variety of comedy (Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Tracy Morgan, Louis CK to name a few), but they pale in comparison to Eddie. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I still have the '79 Pryor stand up on dvd,  watch it periodically. 

Murphy sucked as a stand up comedian, Raw and Delirious are about as funny as a root canal. 

Always liked Carlin but have developed a deeper appreciation for his work the older I get, just classic stuff.  His baseball/football bit may be the best ever, so on point. 

Rodney

Pryor

Carlin

Just now, Underdog said:

The stuttering chinese waiter for me.  The whole woods bit is great as well, the crinkling of the leaves noise he makes.  

His storytelling was pretty unrivaled until Chappelle came along. Obviously you can tell Pryor was probably Dave's biggest influence but if he was doing a Pryor impression early on it was just as damn funny. 

Chappelle has obviously morphed into something more than that, though.

Jeselnik is another one I love. You don't see many contemporary guys that are built on all one liners and quick punchlines a la Dangerfield. Thoughts and Prayers (2015) is fucking brilliant.

Quick clip from that one

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What about females? Not as strong of a contingent but I'd put Wanda Sykes up there with the rest of the titans. Margaret Cho is fucking hilarious as well. As is Silverman.

Currently enjoy Anjelah Johnson's work, saw her perform live last year to her opening show for Technically Not Stalking Tour, absolutely hilarious comedienne.  Growing up it was Phyllis Diller, Joan Rivers saw Joan perform in Vegas once, good show , always liked Cathy Ladman. 

Dave Chapelle's Equanimity is one of my favorites with him.

Agreed on Delirious

Gabriel Iglesias-I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Brad Williams-Fun Sized-I think he's a little known comic

Chris Rock-Bigger and Blacker

Someone upthread mentioned Kings of Comedy-Agreed. The Bernie Mack bit about his devil child niece getting cookies is  one of the best bits ever. Used to quote that one all the time. 

Shit.  Had totally forgot about Cosby and his Himself bit, an absolute classic.  It's worth viewing especially if you're a parent. 

Back in the day when I was a regular Tonight Show/daytime talk show watcher, you had the likes of David Brenner, John Byner, Robert Klein, Leno, Letterman, Tom Dreesen, Shandling, Wright, Miller, Jeni, Pollack, a shitload I'm sure I'm forgetting.   George Wallace(Non-Gov) is another one of my favorites, think he gets overlooked quite a bit, really enjoyed his bit with Seinfeld in the Comedians Getting Coffee series. 

22 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i was nodding and repping all the Delirious mentions and then i saw this and starting giggling... i've never laughed more as a snarky smartass adult than i did start to finish with Dressed to Kill.

They set off from Plymouth and landed in Plymouth. How lucky is that? 

Cake or death?

Do you have a flag?

• Haha 1

If you don't cry laughing at his bit about the monkey and guns, you are dead inside.  

Never saw Eddie Murphy live obviously, 'cause I was 10 when he was touring.  I've done some work with a dozen comedians and probably saw 100 paid shows over the years, but Eddie Izzard in Austin about 5 years ago was by far and away the funniest "event" that I've ever witnessed in person.  

30 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i was nodding and repping all the Delirious mentions and then i saw this and starting giggling... i've never laughed more as a snarky smartass adult than i did start to finish with Dressed to Kill.

Cake or Death!!

Cake, please...

Very, well.  Didn't realize there was going to be such a run on cake.

Also, Robert Schimmel's "Unprotected" is pure gold.

***Edit.  Wow, within 4 minutes, got the Cake or Death and Schimmel nods above. Ha.

Edited by Texas St. Armadillos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Hammer me for it not being standup, but any time Robin Williams was on Carson. True natural humor.  When you make kings of comedy lose their spot, it's legit. 

Edited by slorch

^
absolutely, Onboard.    "Is it Something I Said" is easily one of the Top 5 comedy albums/specials of all-time.  And Pryor is probably the best all-around stand-up of all time, or at least the best since the art-form began in the sense we know it now.  I don't think there's anyone who would dispute Pryor as an all-time Top 5 comic.  Or if they protest that fact, they at least have the good sense to shut up about it and get back to their Larry the Cable Guy records.  But again, gotta give credit where credit is due, Eddie Murphy is not an all-time Top 5 standup comic.  His body of work just isn't there.  But there is just not a funnier 70 minutes in all of recorded human history than "Delirious."  37 years later, it's insane how fucking funny it is start-to-finish.  There just isn't more than 60 seconds of non-gut busting humor anywhere in it.  No dead space, anywhere.  Nothing but start-to-finish crying laughter as relevant today as it was back then.  It'll never be topped.  But there are far, far better comics out there.  I'll grant that.