RIP Gale Sayers

Hate

RIP to a class act. It’s too bad they didn’t know how to repair torn ACLs when he was playing. He could have had a longer career. He was a great great player.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29951448/chicago-bears-hall-fame-running-back-gale-sayers-dies-age-77

Former Chicago Bears star Gale Sayers, considered one of the greatest running backs in the history of the National Football League despite a career cut short by knee injuries, has died at age 77 after battling dementia.

Known as the "Kansas Comet", Sayers was voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1977 despite playing just seven seasons, all with the Bears. At 34, he was the youngest player ever inducted.

"All those who love the game of football mourn the loss of one of the greatest to ever play this game with the passing of Chicago Bears legend Gale Sayers," Hall of Fame president and CEO David Baker said in a statement. "He was the very essence of a team player -- quiet, unassuming and always ready to compliment a teammate for a key block. Gale was an extraordinary man who overcame a great deal of adversity during his NFL career and life."

Sayers was a five-time All-Pro who averaged 5.0 yards a carry for his career and twice led the league in rushing, including in 1969 (1,032 yards) after having torn the ACL and MCL in his right knee late in the previous season.

A major injury to his left knee in 1970 was too much for him to overcome, and he retired in 1971.

His career numbers of 4,956 yards and 39 touchdowns on the ground came primarily over five seasons, as he played sparingly in 1970 and '71.

Sayers was also a devastating weapon as a returner, scoring six touchdowns and averaging more than 30 yards per kickoff return, with two touchdowns and 14.5 yards per punt return.

Legendary Bears coach George Halas, as he presented Sayers for his Hall induction, said, "If you want to see perfection as a running back, you best get ahold of a film of Gale Sayers. He was poetry in motion. His like will never be seen again."

Sayers was born in Wichita, Kansas, and was an All-American at Kansas. He was a first-round pick of the Chicago Bears in 1965 and once scored six touchdowns in a single game.

For his bounce-back season in 1969, he was awarded the NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award, which he promptly passed on to close friend and teammate Brian Piccolo, who was dying of cancer. Their relationship was detailed in Sayers's autobiography "I Am Third" and the TV movie "Brian's Song".

Sayers was named to the NFL's 75th Anniversary Team in 1994, at both halfback and kick returner, the only player named at two positions.

Sayers' family earlier this year discussed his battle with dementia.

Roger Sayers, his brother, told the Kansas City Star in a phone interview that it's "tough to build memories all your life, and the next thing you know you don't remember anything."

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

He actually had a chance to play for the Chiefs I guess, which would have kept him closer to home, but chose to play in Chicago instead.  That would have been an interesting alternate history line, especially considering the Chiefs played in 2 SB's during that time period, and hell who knows, maybe they beat Lombardi's Packers and Namath is just another great Jets QB(lol)

tenor.gif

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

RIP to a great. Too young to have watched him play but always heard that he was as great as any to ever play, just had his career cut short. 

I didn't know dementia was a fatal disease - how does that work? Not being smarmy, genuinely curious. 

It's usually another condition, dementia just aids it by not allowing the brain to function properly.  I'm not a doctor. but I do work with hotels.

27 minutes ago, ztejas said:

RIP to a great. Too young to have watched him play but always heard that he was as great as any to ever play, just had his career cut short. 

I didn't know dementia was a fatal disease - how does that work? Not being smarmy, genuinely curious. 

It cripples the mind.  By cripple, I mean absolute decimation.  The body wants to keep going, but eventually it deteriorates due to inactivity, atrophy, etc.

I always enjoyed watching highlights of him.  He was a hell of a talent before and after his injury.  RIP from that horrible disease 'Comet.

On a weird side note, I had a dream about Jim Brown last night and was expecting to see a notice about his passing.  But from what I have heard about Jim Brown, death jumped on him once and Jim Brown just swatted it off like a fly. 

RIP to a special talent.  Effortless moves and running ability.

Side note:  I love watching clips/games played on natural grass.  There is just something about the commentaries by the announcers/narrators with their descriptions and voices that I find engaging.  Plus the grass stains, dirt, mud, brutal hits all really reflect the battle between two teams.  Required watching.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mulletpelini said:

He actually had a chance to play for the Chiefs I guess, which would have kept him closer to home, but chose to play in Chicago instead.  That would have been an interesting alternate history line, especially considering the Chiefs played in 2 SB's during that time period, and hell who knows, maybe they beat Lombardi's Packers and Namath is just another great Jets QB(lol)

tenor.gif

That's what I mean. Namath was the first pick in the 1965 AFL Draft. Kansas City picked Sayers at #5. Denver picked Butkus at #9. A healthy Sayers makes them a much, much better team.

1 hour ago, mulletpelini said:

Sayers would not have made a difference in Super Bowl I.  KC was never in touching distance in that game, and the Raiders were not much closer in Super Bowl II.

Sad day. I feel for his family. It is hard to watch someone you love deteriorate mentally. Good bye to a KU and NFL legend.

One of the 3 most unique, and enjoyable to watch running backs IMO. The other 2 being Barry Sanders and Earl Campbell. Love watching highlight reels of all those guys.  All 3 B12 school legends.

38 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Does anyone know why Sayers didn’t do more endorsements early on? Seemed like a very affable personality. 

Caught the tail end of a Football Life about Sayers & Butkus and it mentioned that Sayers once suffered from stuttering, could've been a reason why not doing more endorsements. 

• Like 1