Beginner Student Violin

You want :

1) A lessons teacher

2) don't buy anything - rent at first. When you buy one, the minimum you're going to spend is about $600 for a quality violin. Also, you're kid probably isn't in a full sized violin anyway. 

If you think of any questions, let me know. 

These are our policies for rentals. And it's pretty standard stuff from most music companies. But it'll give you an idea of what to ask for at store closer to you. The big things are rental credit/rent-to-own and what happens/who is responsible for damage.

www.DallasStrings.com

Also, there is a sizing chart there if you want to check your kids size.

Edited by Jameslaw121

my 12 yo started when he was 10 with one of 3 violins from my sister-in-law.  this was for beginning, 5th grade, elementary orchestra.

he is on the second, slightly larger violin now at 12 via zoom middle school orchestra.  there are different sizes depending on arm length, i think?  after 2 years he is pretty decent although he has regressed over the summer.

• Fuck You 1

Years ago when I was an apartment dweller, one of my neighbors was a violinist for the Houston Symphony.  He was a halfway decent ranging to goofy looking guy that had smoking hot women coming in and out his door.  He’d start sawing on that violin and they’d come a running.  

He, too, probably endured wedgies but had long game.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

My son started on Violin this year.

I am 100% cool with that; he is only doing orchestra @ the moment due to scheduling / me as taxi issues.

I hope he actually gets good @ it & sticks with the program.

8th grade.

Unfortunately, he is not actually practicing @ home, not even 15 minutes a day.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Check to see if your kid's school district offers orchestra or not at the middle and high school levels.  Some have orchestra and band, some just offer band.  If your school offers orchestra, your kid will probably join the school orchestra and take private lessons about once a week or so.  If not, you'll probably get a private lesson teacher for after school lessons and that teacher may have a "studio" that offers group classes so the kids can play together.

I hope you enjoy "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" because that's all you are going to hear for months as they learn the basics of playing the instrument.  That's OK, they are learning.  After that things pick up, but for a long time it's just Twinkle.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/26/2020 at 11:09 PM, Texas Jeff said:

Check to see if your kid's school district offers orchestra or not at the middle and high school levels.  Some have orchestra and band, some just offer band.  If your school offers orchestra, your kid will probably join the school orchestra and take private lessons about once a week or so.  If not, you'll probably get a private lesson teacher for after school lessons and that teacher may have a "studio" that offers group classes so the kids can play together.

I hope you enjoy "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" because that's all you are going to hear for months as they learn the basics of playing the instrument.  That's OK, they are learning.  After that things pick up, but for a long time it's just Twinkle.

plus Ode to Joy

I know three kids that have learned from the suzuki method and have excelled. My kids do piano, one is about to start cello. I keep pushing the guitar on my son, but he's sticking with the cello. I keep telling him, you get the chicks with guitar, maybe when he's a teenager he will get it.