QB Tyrod Taylor Gets His Lung Punctured by Chargers' Team Doctor

Vic Mackey

Wtf

Chargers QB Tyrod Taylor's lung punctured by team doctor, sources say

A Los Angeles Chargers team doctor accidentally punctured quarterback Tyrod Taylor's lung just before kickoff Sunday while trying to administer a pain-killing injection to the quarterback's cracked ribs, league and team sources told ESPN.

That is the reason Taylor did not start Sunday and rookie quarterback Justin Herbert unexpectedly did against the defending champion Kansas City Chiefs, in an arrangement that is likely to continue Sunday against the Carolina Panthers and quite possibly beyond.

It also helps explain why Chargers coach Anthony Lynn strongly backed Taylor on Sunday night and again this week. Many coaches believe that no player should lose his job to an injury -- especially one that accidentally came at the hands of a team doctor. The Chargers previously said Taylor suffered complications from an injection. Those complications were a punctured lung.

The NFL Players Association is investigating the medical mishap, sources said, seeing what steps it should take next. An NFLPA official declined comment Wednesday about Taylor's punctured lung.

The injection that Taylor received is not entirely uncommon, but it is considered a blind injection and carries a risk. Still, it is rare that a player suffers a punctured lung from the injection, especially right before kickoff.

Taylor suffered two cracked ribs early during the Chargers' Week 1 win over the Cincinnati Bengals, but he didn't have an MRI on the injury until later that week. Taylor was added to the Chargers' injury report with a rib injury Friday, but after he was a full participant in practice that day, the quarterback was removed from the report.

He planned to take a pain-killing injection for the rib injury Sunday, but after the Chargers doctor punctured his lung, Taylor wound up in the hospital Sunday night to be treated for the injury and the struggles he had breathing.

Doctors have advised Taylor not to play "indefinitely." The Chargers wanted Taylor to start this week, but doctors are against it.

One reason the Chargers want Taylor to continue as their quarterback is his production and reliability. He has a winning record as a starting quarterback, didn't turn over the football in Week 1 and has the trust and respect of his teammates.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29952469/chargers-qb-tyrod-taylor-lung-punctured-team-doc-sources-say

there are not that many things that need to be injected locally to take effect, and if you are needing to do that to quell the pain, the player should not be anywhere close to being considered for playing.

sports medicine continues to simultaneously surprise and unsurprise me.

• Like 1

So yes, the injection can cause a pneumothorax or '"punctured lung/dropped lung/lung collapse", however, so can the trauma itself, and a broken rib. It can be delayed. Doesn't necessarily mean it was a direct result of the rib nerve block that was performed. In minor cases  nothing else is done except observe and repeat xrays, in severe cases a chest tube has to be inserted to allow the lung to re-expand. There is no mention of a chest tube insertion afterwards, and that if that were done, he would not return to action this weekend in all likelihood, so i guess it was of the minor variety in terms of complications.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

QB Tyrod Taylor Gets His Lung Punctured by Chargers' Former Team Doctor

fify

When you drop the ball like he did, you know you're just asking to be sacked.

But considering how well the offense did during the game, Herbert was a breath of fresh air.

• Hook 'Em 1

LOL, if this dipshit tried an intercostal nerve block blind he should have his ass sued...and the Chargers should get nailed too.  Fucking idiots.  You do that shit under fluoro if you're going to do it.  

edit: unless you’re a stud like Jerry Hubbard 

Edited by ChiTownDoc

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL, if this dipshit tried an intercostal nerve block blind he should have his ass sued...and the Chargers should get nailed too.  Fucking idiots.  You do that shit under fluoro if you're going to do it.  

Meh - I do intercostal blocks bedside in the ICU. But I do have 30 yrs experience at trauma centers. If they have multiple fractures, I throw in a thoracic epidural, but single fractures get a block.

No idea what experience the team doctor has, or what his training entailed.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, JerryHubbard said:

Meh - I do intercostal blocks bedside in the ICU. But I do have 30 yrs experience at trauma centers. If they have multiple fractures, I throw in a thoracic epidural, but single fractures get a block.

We have plenty of interventional guys in the group.  Trusting one of them (or you) vs a team doctor is completely different.  As I’m sure you know, in any legal liability case the doc’s training in whatever procedure he was performing will come into play.  Having worked with a few team doctors, it would be very unusual for one to have that degree of training in interventional pain.  Also being a cowboy with an NFL QB is extra stupid.  

edit: had to give you a little shit

Edited by ChiTownDoc

12 minutes ago, JerryHubbard said:

Do you then send the patient off to play in an nfl football game that’s starting 10 minutes later?

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

We have plenty of interventional guys in the group.  Trusting one of them (or you) vs a team doctor is completely different.  As I’m sure you know, in any legal liability case the doc’s training in whatever procedure he was performing will come into play.  Having worked with a few team doctors, it would be very unusual for one to have that degree of training in interventional pain.  Also being a cowboy with an NFL QB is extra stupid.  

edit: had to give you a little shit

Agree. And zero offense taken. 😁

I've played with a broken rib before and it sucked so, so bad. It hurts to laugh. It hurts to breath deep. And with that kind of pain, there is no way I would consider blocking the pain just to play a game. Obviously, I guess I felt differently when I was young. But now - too easy to puncture a lung or worse.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I've played with a broken rib before and it sucked so, so bad. It hurts to laugh. It hurts to breath deep. And with that kind of pain, there is no way I would consider blocking the pain just to play a game. Obviously, I guess I felt differently when I was young. But now - too easy to puncture a lung or worse.

Or you could just have the doc puncture the lung for you and cut out the middleman.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Considering the Chargers were 5-11 last year and he took the defending Superbowl champs to overtime, I'd say Herbert was a breath of fresh air.  

Don't be a prick.

I already made that joke.

3 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

When you drop the ball like he did, you know you're just asking to be sacked.

But considering how well the offense did during the game, Herbert was a breath of fresh air.

Next time you want to take a stab at a joke, make sure you read the previous posts or don't inject yourself into the conversation.

53 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I got super drunk at an out of town function one time and when I got back to my room, circa 4am, couldn’t find the lights, and I tripped over my suitcase and fell straight into the corner of the waste high dresser rib cage first (no bracing the fall whatsoever).  Broke 2 ribs and bruised another two.   I ended up getting pneumonia a few days later.  Let’s just say having severe coughing fits from pneumonia and broken ribs makes for a forgettable experience.   

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Do you then send the patient off to play in an nfl football game that’s starting 10 minutes later?

I was listening to NFL Doc's podcast earlier this week and he and his buddy called this days before it was confirmed today. According to them, yes it's not unusual at all in the NFL but it's not normal for the player to report discomfort after receiving the injection. Given that Taylor was active and expected to play but that he had been reported on the Fri injury report with "Rib," they figured out it had to have been a pneumothorax after watching the video of him on the sideline gesturing at his chest and then him abruptly leaving the stadium to get checked out at the hospital.