Electric razors?

Any recommendations for good electric razors for sensitive skin? 

It seems like the Braun Series 9 is the 900 pound gorilla of the market, but paying $300 for an electric razor feels a little steep. 

Anyone have experience with the 7 series? I have to assume that a $200 razor is still pretty badass, but there's enough options out there that it's a little hard to sort out. 

I have two Brauns.  One at home and one at work.  I am too lazy to go upstairs and look but I think they are 9 series.   Correct that.  They are 7 series.  I know because Id never pay $300 for a razor.  No complaints.  

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 1978horn said:

If your going to spend $200 on a razor why not go all the way and spend $300? I wouldn’t spend $100 on one, but if your spent that much why not another $100?

I don't disagree with your general point that $100 seems like too much. It's a racket, just like everything else. But it also seems like there's a significant difference between a $100 razor and a $200 razor, but that there isn't as much of a difference between a $200 and a $300 one.

Look at it this way - you can get a perfectly adequate Lamborghini Huracan for $200k, but you can pay another $100k for another 20hp and some added lightness. At a certain point, the law of diminishing returns is unavoidable. 

And my personal limit for this particular brand of absurdity is about $200, anyway. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

It’s doesn’t get super close, but I love this thing...

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco-OneBlade-QP2520-90/dp/B01D328BG6

Was coming to post this as well @Prepuce of Doom ^^^

I have really sensitive skin and have invested in about every type of razor known to man over the years and never found anything worth a damn that didn't just tear up my face.  Decided to take a flyer on this thing about 3 or so years ago and have never looked back.  I have a really thick beard and it handles it no problem.  And it may not get suuuuuuper close, but it gets pretty damn close.  I kind of think anything closer was probably what was so irritating to my skin.  I probably switch the blade every 3-5 months or so, but other than that, it's held up great.  Best $35 I've ever spent.

71TTWTnZhpL._SL1500_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Wow - two pretty ringing endorsements back to back. 

I'll take a flier on that guy for $35 without a second thought.

And I share your "maybe the closeness is the problem" suspicion as well....

Do it and report back.  One note...be a little mindful and use some trial and error on how you use it if your skin is sensitive.  I think if I remember right, the instructions tell you to go straight against the hair.  I find that to be a little irritating.  My skin reacts better if I kind of go at it sideways or even with the hair in some cases.  I've been using it so long that I don't even really think about it anymore, but I kind of remember having to figure that out in the beginning.

12 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Do it and report back.  One note...be a little mindful and use some trial and error on how you use it if your skin is sensitive.  I think if I remember right, the instructions tell you to go straight against the hair.  I find that to be a little irritating.  My skin reacts better if I kind of go at it sideways or even with the hair in some cases.  I've been using it so long that I don't even really think about it anymore, but I kind of remember having to figure that out in the beginning.

Funny, I vaguely remember that too, but yeah it’s been so long.  I go against the gain on the mustache and with the gain on the beard/neck and use the straight edge for the sideburns and to touch up the soul patch and just under the nose.

Basically I shave with this and if I need to get a super close shave (like if I’m going out of town for a weekend trip and don’t want to bring a razor or have an important afternoon meeting and don’t want a bad 5 o’clock shadow) then I just follow up with a standard blade razor.

I broke my collarbone (right) a year and a half ago and it made blade shaving difficult, so I got on Amazon and found this for $30.  It's basically a Norelco ripoff, but it does work and the price is right.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H6YAJXA/ref=dp_prsubs_1

Actually, the price was more right when I bought it at $30 rather than the current $40.  It crapped out after about six months of pretty heavy use (daily for about three), but was replaced quickly and free.  I don't imagine the cheap Norelcos and Remingtons are much better and I think lack the features (wet, cordless, etc.).

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Was coming to post this as well @Prepuce of Doom ^^^

I have really sensitive skin and have invested in about every type of razor known to man over the years and never found anything worth a damn that didn't just tear up my face.  Decided to take a flyer on this thing about 3 or so years ago and have never looked back.  I have a really thick beard and it handles it no problem.  And it may not get suuuuuuper close, but it gets pretty damn close.  I kind of think anything closer was probably what was so irritating to my skin.  I probably switch the blade every 3-5 months or so, but other than that, it's held up great.  Best $35 I've ever spent.

71TTWTnZhpL._SL1500_.jpg

Sidenote.  I don't have that heavy a beard, but the hairs are quite coarse, so I am a bit of a shaving challenge and razors are hard on my face as I have pretty sensitive skin, also.

I have found the double-edge safety razor to be the best, both at giving a close shave and sparing my skin irritation.  There is, of course, potential for nicks, but once you get decent with it, it's really the best I have found, and cheap, too.

Edited by TwiceHorn

ive had a few of brauns, remingtons, and philips.

remingtons were the best.  durable and ridiculous battery life.  philips were the worst - slowest to cut, less precise, horrible battery life.  braun is in the middle.

not scientific but thats my experience

My first electric razor was a Norelco from about 1979 (it was a gift for my dad but he never used it). It was a tank, I used it from 1986 until the late '90s.  Never had to replace the heads or anything. But the electric razors made now seem almost disposable. The heads wear out in like a year, and replacing the heads costs 2/3 the price of a new razor.

I've owned Remington, Norelco, Braun, Phillips and a bunch I can't remember. Even bought one of those Philips bodygrooming things. They all work good-ish for a few months, then either impossible to clean or ridiculously expensive to replace the head. None of them shave as close and clean as a blade. 

OneUse with the OneTouch so far. Easy and idiot proof, just as promised.

I see what people meant about how it's not the very closest shave. I suspect that like others have concluded, the closeness of other razors may have contributed to my skin irritation in the past, so I'm curious to see how this shakes out over time. 

I've been using Norelco rotaries since I was old enough to shave. My Dad still uses one that he's had since the 1970s or 1960s or something. The truth is, the lift-and-cut blades are self-sharpening, so a well-made one can pretty much last a lifetime maintenance-free (other than cleaning it after every shave). It does take a week of shaving with it before your face gets used to it. I use the Nivea Post-Shave Balm and it works fantastically for that. It won't shave as close as a blade, for for every day use, it does the job quickly and price/shave ratio can NOT be beaten.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 8:35 PM, After irth said:

After 30 years of using Norelco, I splurged on a Braun 7 series 4 years ago, and I love it. 

I have a heavy beard, and I have to be somewhat methodical with it, but I still love it. No irritation and a damn good shave. 

years worth of cleaning solution on Amazon = $20, annual head replacement $20

not sure there is a better razor on the market than the Braun 7 series when factoring in usage cost.

• Like 2

Quick question on the OneBlade.

I saw it on Amazon and considered and it does have good reviews.  But I figured it would take a lot of "strokes" kind of like a regular blade razor because the head is small, or looks to be.  And, with my broken collarbone, I was looking for "big coverage" that I could handle with my left hand without "precise strokes."

I like having an electric around now and am guessing that my Chinese one will crap out again, so I am interested in whether the OneBlade is a worthy replacement.

While I like having one around, I don't think I like it well enough to spend 300 bones.

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Quick question on the OneBlade.

I saw it on Amazon and considered and it does have good reviews.  But I figured it would take a lot of "strokes" kind of like a regular blade razor because the head is small, or looks to be.  And, with my broken collarbone, I was looking for "big coverage" that I could handle with my left hand without "precise strokes."

I like having an electric around now and am guessing that my Chinese one will crap out again, so I am interested in whether the OneBlade is a worthy replacement.

While I like having one around, I don't think I like it well enough to spend 300 bones.

I mean yes it’s a smaller surface area but I do it when I’m half awake and I don’t have to go over the same area multiple times other than the upper lip.  My other razors I would go over the same area multiple times which I think led to the skin irritation.