Personal articles insurance

deadshank

What kind of rate do you 1%ers pay for personal articles insurance (expensive jewelry, fine watches, fancy crap, (mostly expensive wimmen stuff you bought to placate her), etc.) that is beyond the limits of your regular homeowner's property & casualty insurance limits?

Who is your carrier?

I have some "listed" stuff that is insured but that list just got longer as my MIL passed away and my wife returned home with some really nice jewelry and other items.  It may be time to shop around.

What have you?

What kind of rate do you 1%ers pay for personal articles insurance (expensive jewelry, fine watches, fancy crap, (mostly expensive wimmen stuff you bought to placate her), etc.) that is beyond the limits of your regular homeowner's property & casualty insurance limits?
Who is your carrier?
I have some "listed" stuff that is insured but that list just got longer as my MIL passed away and my wife returned home with some really nice jewelry and other items.  It may be time to shop around.
What have you?

We just added coverage for specific jewelery to our regular homeowners insurance. Not sure what it costs, it paid off the first time the wife lost her engagement ring.

Make sure you have jewelry appraised at least every 5 years. We got burned because our appraisal was over a decade old and the replacement was much more expensive.

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Start with CHUBB if it makes sense. They're the best.  Had a bud lose a gold Rolex presidential years ago. They had a new one on his wrist in less than 48hours, in Italy.

I'm already with Chubb.   Wanted to know if there's a new kid on the block.

In my experience, it's nickles and dimes to increase that coverage on specified items.  Once you already have a rider with specified items, the incremental cost to schedule more items isn't much at all....and certainly not worth forgoing the coverage.

Hell, I had a situation not to long ago where I added a piece of my wife's jewelry and I got a small premium reduction.  I questioned it and all the agent could tell me was that she thought I'd somehow hit the number perfectly and the addition kicked me into a higher coverage band, with a discounted cost per $1000,  and it somehow actually dropped the net cost.  Made no sense but that's not my problem.

5 hours ago, deadshank said:

my wife returned home with some really nice jewelry and other items. 

It's going to get very expensive if you try to schedule every last piece of jewelry or other expensive items.   You really only need to schedule stuff that you could lose or have stolen because you are wearing them out and about often.   Jewelry that just sits its probably best in a safe or safety deposit box. 

1 minute ago, midtown said:

It's going to get very expensive if you try to schedule every last piece of jewelry or other expensive items.   You really only need to schedule stuff that you could lose or have stolen because you are wearing them out and about often.   Jewelry that just sits its probably best in a safe or safety deposit box. 

I know and appreciate your comment but I'm fighting city hall on this.

Just pulled up my policy to give you an answer to this. We are paying $2.03 per $100 of insured value for scheduled items on our homeowner's. That's for jewelry and watches. They have the rates for some other shit, too: golf clubs are $1.05 per $100, furs $0.53, musical instruments $0.45. I don't see guns on this list, guess they're free.

Company is Ameriprise, thru Costco.

8 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Just pulled up my policy to give you an answer to this. We are paying $2.03 per $100 of insured value for scheduled items on our homeowner's. That's for jewelry and watches. They have the rates for some other shit, too: golf clubs are $1.05 per $100, furs $0.53, musical instruments $0.45. I don't see guns on this list, guess they're free.

Company is Ameriprise, thru Costco.

Paying  $1.95 / $100.00 with Chubb.  No variance dependant on item.

I have USAA and added a VPP line item to my other accounts. It’s $200 a year for wife rings (about $22000) and a few guns.

Sounded expensive to me. I should actually review that with them since guns sit in a safe and unlikely to be stolen. I do have other jewelry but most of that sits in the safe as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I pay $1.36 per $100/no deduct annually through State Farm for my watch ($10-15k).

Have been moving more over to Lemonade because of their prices, including my wife’s ring which is covered for $0.89 per $100/no deduct annually (value of ring is multiples of the watch; happy wife happy life). State Farm wanted 3x that. 

I have had issues in the past and State Farm has been very helpful. No claims yet on lemonade so can’t speak to that.