Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time (Again)

South Austin

6 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Joni Mitchell's Blue might be my favorite album of all time and I'd put it right up there with it. You're underestimating the absolute flawlessness of that album.

Back to Black is fine. I'm not convinced you aren't trolling so I don't really want to sit here and debate its merits tit for tat. You are also entitled to your musical opinions, even if I think they are questionable at best. 

On 9/25/2020 at 9:45 AM, Deej said:

I never realized the cover photo was taken in College Station. 

On 9/25/2020 at 8:16 AM, ztejas said:

Couldn't disagree more, but I'm not sure I want to get into a full on Pet Sounds debate. 

I Know There's An Answer is one of the most brilliant songs I've ever heard. 

Pure dogshit.  Or goatshit.  Shit any way you slice it. 

9 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I just got here, but you guys slagging Pet Sounds are off your fucking rockers and completely stupid and your taste in music sucks and you suck and should reevaluate your life choices.

You're remembering the reputation of Pet Sounds rather than the actual music on the album.    Rank the songs on Pet Sounds into the categories:  Great,  Good,  Unremarkable,  Derivative Crap,  Un-listenable.

More than half the songs will be Unremarkable or lower.

10 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

You're remembering the reputation of Pet Sounds rather than the actual music on the album.    Rank the songs on Pet Sounds into the categories:  Great,  Good,  Unremarkable,  Derivative Crap,  Un-listenable.

More than half the songs will be Unremarkable or lower.

tenor.gif?itemid=8302706

The fact that you are taking a complete work of art and trying to break it into its' component parts tells me you are framing this all wrong.

Do you look at Starry Night and say, "You're just remembering the blue.  Its' really about white strokes.  I bet you can't get enough to make a real painting."

No, because that would be foolish.  

Also, taking a hyperbolic position about subjective works of art are totally what these threads are about.  Aren't they? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

tenor.gif?itemid=8302706

The fact that you are taking a complete work of art and trying to break it into its' component parts tells me you are framing this all wrong.

Do you look at Starry Night and say, "You're just remembering the blue.  Its' really about white strokes.  I bet you can't get enough to make a real painting."

No, because that would be foolish.  

Also, taking a hyperbolic position about subjective works of art are totally what these threads are about.  Aren't they? 

Seeing the making of Pet sounds is a trip into amazing musicianship (is that a word ?) and the search for the precisely right sound, note, tempo, mix of instruments, insanity, virtuosity, vision, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Seeing the making of Pet sounds is a trip into amazing musicianship (is that a word ?) and the search for the precisely right sound, note, tempo, mix of instruments, insanity, virtuosity, vision, etc.

It is a triumph of the art of production, performance and writing all in one.

But hey, if all you want is to rawk, it's not your album.  And that's fine.  

But there are multiple reasons why this album scores high on these kinds of lists consistently. 

Anyhow, enough about Pet Sounds

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Pet Sounds documents a bona fide genius at the very peak of his game.

Hooks and bits that werent good enough to make it into the album became Good Vibrations and God Only Knows is the greatest pop song ever created by man, second only to Ode To Joy as greatest song period.

Regardless, that album the bible of the state of the song-crafting art at the height of a 15-or-so year period that gave us the most musically creative our culture has ever been or ever will be again.

Pet Sounds will be among the examples we show aliens on why we should not be exterminated. And they will probably agree.

24 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

God Only Knows is the greatest pop song ever created by man, second only to Ode To Joy as greatest song period.

I dont think I agree but I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I think I'd put Mozart piano 21 above any other classical work. 

Contemporary/after the fact reviews. Not sure I've ever seen another album bat 1.000.

Screenshot_20200930-100602_Chrome.jpg

Quick check of another album I thought might be close (Ziggy). It is, despite Christgau needing to be a cunt sometimes (which I get, that's his shtick)

Screenshot_20200930-100738_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dc40b2c344be10f767fa10a7718d7a16.jpg

Edited by ztejas