27 Most Iconic Austin Dishes

jimmyjazz

On 4/19/2018 at 9:35 AM, thrillhammer said:

pretty decent list.  makes me want to eat.   i would add the hippie chick at shady grove.

seconded.  I'd say the chips, salsa and creamy jalapeno ranch at Chuy's is iconic Austin.  Magnolia Mudd should get honorable mention.  

A slice of Conan's Savage has to be on the list.
Angie's carnitas taco deserves to be on the list.

How about:
- Spicy Fish from Asia Cafe on Spicewood Springs
- AYCE fried catfish at Catfish Parlour

The T-MAN/TURBO from Berts is pretty iconic in my book
The queso compuesto from El Arroyo fed me plenty of drunk nights so I'd add it to that list too

That is a GREAT nomination. 

Agreed -- as long as you opt for anchovies and jalapenos on said Savage.

Fuck yes. To all of these.

I won’t rehash, but there are some great additions on this thread.

Having lived here for 20 years, a great sandwich, imo, was few and far between. I mean, a truly amazing sandwich. For me, that changed with fricano’s.

The Ainsworth was a sandwich that got me to enjoy ingredients that I swore I would never eat. And the surprise of it was like getting a grab bag at the baseball card shop as a kid.

Paul’s Reuben and The Jonah also get a nod for me. Regardless of the specific sandwich, Fricano’s is on my personal iconic Austin list.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnnyShotgun said:

I didn't see the enchiladas from Enchiladas y Mas. I've lived here 43 years and they are some of my favorites. I would include a cheeseburger from Dan's and donuts from Mrs. Johnson's Bakery on the list. 

Mrs. Johnson's donuts -- yep, they missed that one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Druggist said:

Veracruz should be on the overrated list. Been there a few times and it was fine, nothing more.  Beef fajitas ranchero on Wednesday at Habaneros’s should be top 10. One of the best $8-9 plates of food in the city.

Also, the Roberto's breakfast plate at Habaneros...beef fajitas, beans, eggs. Goddamnright.

• 1 month later...