Texas Court elections 2020

bernorange

I looked but didn't see a thread on this subject.  I don't know anything about the judge candidates.  Surly has a lot of lawyers.  What should I know?

Chief Justice, Supreme Court
- Nathan Hecht (R)
- Amy Clark Meachum (D)
- Mark Ash (L)

Justice, Supreme Court, Place 6
- Jane Bland (R)
- Kathy Cheng (D)

Justice, Supreme Court, Place 7
- Jeff Boyd (R)
- Staci Williams (D)
- William Bryan Strange III (L)

Justice, Supreme Court, Place 8
- Brett Busby (R)
- Gisela D. Triana (D)
- Tom Oxford (L)

Judge, Court of Criminal Appeals, Place 3
- Bert Richardson (R)
- Elizabeth Davis Frizell (D)

Judge, Court of Criminal Appeals, Place 4
- Kevin Patrick Yeary (R)
- Tina Clinton (D)

Judge, Court of Criminal Appeals, Place 9
- David Newell (R)
- Brandon Birmingham (D)

I don't know anything about the criminal court judges either, but I do know that the letter after the name doesn't really mean anything for court elections.  Blind devotion to (R) or (D) or whatever is how we get some awful people sitting on benches.  So hopefully the Surly lawyer cabal can shed some light if we've got one of those situations percolating this cycle.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I don't know anything about the criminal court judges either, but I do know that the letter after the name doesn't really mean anything for court elections.  Blind devotion to (R) or (D) or whatever is how we get some awful people sitting on benches.  So hopefully the Surly lawyer cabal can shed some light if we've got one of those situations percolating this cycle.

lol no. Vote for the democrats. Don’t make this more complicated than it needs to be.  

Edited by Hank Scorpio

Our courts, particularly our high courts, have been politicized more than they should be.  I've never recommended a straight ticket before, and I've been practicing a LONG time.  Seriously, I've voted for judges of both parties my whole life.

This year, vote for all the D candidates.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Our courts, particularly our high courts, have been politicized more than they should be.  I've never recommended a straight ticket before, and I've been practicing a LONG time.  Seriously, I've voted for judges of both parties my whole life.

This year, vote for all the D candidates.

Every year, vote for all the D candidates.

Just now, David Dennison said:

Every year, vote for all the D candidates.

I'm getting there.  I reserve my right, with respect to judicial races, to someday recommend a non-D candidate because the D is extra bad, corrupt, etc.  But these days, sorry, having an R and being a loyal party member is a disqualification, across the board.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm getting there.  I reserve my right, with respect to judicial races, to someday recommend a non-D candidate because the D is extra bad, corrupt, etc.  But these days, sorry, having an R and being a loyal party member is a disqualification, across the board.

The only way a Republican ever gets my vote for anything is if they are unopposed and that's only because I don't want to give anyone an excuse to throw out my ballot. 

Word. I practiced in San Antonio off and on for 10 years and we had some seriously terrible Democratic judges and some excellent Republican judges.

However this election is about punishing anyone who aligns with Trump by having an R after their name. I won't be voting for an R again until they blow it up and start over. So straight ticket it is.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

a little caveat though: some judges running for state office as R aren't truly R but know they have to run as R to win. This can generally be ruled out for the Supreme Court, but not for the Court of Criminal Appeals. 

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans
I understand your point, Orale. That's ok...just don't apply it in the case of "Mad Dog" Madeleine Connor
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

a little caveat though: some judges running for state office as R aren't truly R but know they have to run as R to win. This can generally be ruled out for the Supreme Court, but not for the Court of Criminal Appeals. 

Tend(ed) to be true of Dallas County.  Whatever party was in power locally dictated the letter by the judges name for the most part.  But Dallas has tilted D for the last half dozen judicial elections so those picking R are doing so knowingly and accordingly deserve to be run out.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Doesn't matter.  She's running unopposed.  I mean, I won't vote for her, but that race doesn't matter.  We're going to have to live with her for four years.

Ah ... of course. Don't know what I was thinking to assume there was an R opponent in Travis Co. (no snark)

2 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Ah ... of course. Don't know what I was thinking to assume there was an R opponent in Travis Co. (no snark)

There was discussion of a write-in, but it's pointless.  In Travis County, in a year when people are MOTIVATED to go out and vote D.....no write-in candidate could win.

In our present world, anything with partisan designations is highly political. Actually, everything, including objective reality, is sadly political.

They might not be bad people personally, but their judgment is highly suspect if they choose to associate with the corruption, destruction, and moral degeneracy that is the GOP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

The only way a Republican ever gets my vote for anything is if they are unopposed and that's only because I don't want to give anyone an excuse to throw out my ballot. 

I would even vote for the nazi party of America or communists are us over the GOP after what they’ve put us all through since 2016.

3 hours ago, bernorange said:

In 2020, what kind of person would run for elected office as a Republican?

You know the answer to that question and that’s all you need to know about them.

I've had the opportunity to sit in on several Zoom mtgs with the D judicial candidates and they all are impressive.   One example is Staci Williams, running for Supreme Court out of Dallas' District 101 Court.  She developed a program called the Citizens' Civil Academy:

Our goal is to educate Dallas County citizens about the civil court system. In this way, citizens will have a better understanding of not only the civil court system but also the inner workings of the George L. Allen, Senior Courts Building.  With knowledge comes understanding. The ultimate goal is to empower citizens with knowledge about the civil court process so they will be encouraged and excited about participating in the jury process. And as our citizens become better educated about the civil court system, they will be more inclined to participate in the civil jury process.

This is a FREE, NON-PARTISAN program.

http://www.ccadallas.com/about-1.html

Now other counties nationwide are copying her Academy.

Here is a link to a page that will give you all the statewide D candidates.  Under each one are links to their homepages, facebook and or twitter accounts.   

https://www.texasdemocrats.org/my-texas-votes-2/whos-on-my-ballot/