SAE seems rapey

DDD Dad

Two sophomore coeds allegedly raped by SAE members who drugged them.

Thankfully the alleged rapists’ roommates (also SAE’s I hear) took the girls to the hospital and reported their roommates.

Alleged rapists are said to have fled out of the country.

WTF [mention]Drbeeper [/mention]

Fucking Frats need to go away immediately.

Who's the douche that tried to justify the "there never be a nigger SAE" shit?  Was it Rex Kramer?   (If it wasn't "SAE" I apologize.  It was something similar, but I don't want to pin that on the wrong party)

Take all the frat douches out and shoot them, and the planet will improve immediately. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I know we have a lot of former Greeks on this site.  But considering the numerous number of issues, I am starting to think the SAE's need to be disbanded country-wide.

The Oklahoma chapter were the morons caught on tape chanting hyper racist shit , disbanded and kicked off campus.

Yeah, "greeks".   If you check it out, "greek" is code for ass-fucking, and I'm pretty sure that ass-fucking each other is the main reason to join a frat

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

35 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Wut?

You put your daughters in the Greek system right? I’m just asking what the odds are of being raped by a frat guy vs a non frat guy. Since alcohol is involved with fraternity parties I’m pretty sure I know the answer.

I do know that when I was in school  in the early 90’s if you mistreated a girl, much less sexually assaulted one, you were going to get your ass kicked and thrown out of the fraternity.

Maybe things are different now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, justhookit said:

You put your daughters in the Greek system right? I’m just asking what the odds are of being raped by a frat guy vs a non frat guy. Since alcohol is involved with fraternity parties I’m pretty sure I know the answer.

I do know that when I was in school  in the early 90’s if you mistreated a girl, much less sexually assaulted one, you were going to get your ass kicked and thrown out of the fraternity.

Yeah, that ain't normal or standard, at least it wasn't in the late 80s.  

Those are also pretty ethnic names for Texas Rho, so times they are a changin.  Also probably worth noting that they are suspended and not currently an active chapter of SAE.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

OP, did you even read the story that is out there? The group has not been associated with SAE in 3 years. Don’t let those facts stop you from associating them with the fraternity though.

Well, in defense of OP, they are SAE, but they're not.

It does undercut the trashing of the entire national organization of post 9.

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

Like I said this was almost 30 years ago. And yes it would definitely happen. Back then people weren’t the shitheads that they are now.

Yeah, back then stupid shit happened at drunken parties, like all drunken parties.  But roofying someone was beyond the pale and would be dire shit for the perp.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

It also undercuts the heading of the thread. Their charter was pulled by the national fraternity and they are no longer associated with them. That makes them not SAE. From what I remember from the fraternity side, they owned the house and that group maintained it starting a new social club. At this point there are likely no former SAE’s still in school, but the former members have kept funding it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anecdotal of course, but my last roommate in college (just 5 or 6 years ago) was an SAE. Random roommate that was a transfer from some community college. He was also the weed dealer for the frat. Early on he told me “not to worry” about us getting robbed and showed me this gigantic ass Benelli shotgun. Great. 

Naturally frat bros were in and out of our place all day, maybe 30 different ones total. About 2 or 3 of them were decent human beings. The rest were high and drunk all the time, openly talked about cheating their way through school, and casually said some of the most sexist, racist shit I’ve ever heard in my life. I’ll never forget walking in once and there was probably 7 of them smoking in our living room. I knew one of them played on their IM basketball team so I asked how their last game went. “We barely lost man, pretty good since we were playing a bunch of fucking niggers”. Not one of them even batted an eye. This was in 2015.

Maybe it’s because I was only seeing the shithead ones that wanted weed, but my roommate made it seem like the entire frat came through. It jumped out to me as an outsider, but they all seemed so insular in their world I can see how none of that behavior would seem wrong to them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Anecdotal of course, but my last roommate in college (just 5 or 6 years ago) was an SAE. Random roommate that was a transfer from some community college. He was also the weed dealer for the frat. Early on he told me “not to worry” about us getting robbed and showed me this gigantic ass Benelli shotgun. Great. 

Naturally frat bros were in and out of our place all day, maybe 30 different ones total. About 2 or 3 of them were decent human beings. The rest were high and drunk all the time, openly talked about cheating their way through school, and casually said some of the most sexist, racist shit I’ve ever heard in my life. I’ll never forget walking in once and there was probably 7 of them smoking in our living room. I knew one of them played on their IM basketball team so I asked how their last game went. “We barely lost man, pretty good since we were playing a bunch of fucking niggers”. Not one of them even batted an eye. This was in 2015.

Maybe it’s because I was only seeing the shithead ones that wanted weed, but my roommate made it seem like the entire frat came through. It jumped out to me as an outsider, but they all seemed so insular in their world I can see how none of that behavior would seem wrong to them. 

Sounds like it’s your age group with the problem, not us olds. Carry on 🤘

31 minutes ago, Brew said:

It also undercuts the heading of the thread. Their charter was pulled by the national fraternity and they are no longer associated with them. That makes them not SAE. From what I remember from the fraternity side, they owned the house and that group maintained it starting a new social club. At this point there are likely no former SAE’s still in school, but the former members have kept funding it.

There was a huge issue with KA a few years ago you may know about. Lawsuits, etc.

I wasn’t in that fraternity but I got a pretty good look at what was going on. People way older than me were very pissed off.

I don’t think the Greek system survives much longer.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Most Texas chapters of any given national fraternity are pretty much their own thing.  They flaunt the rules of the national organization, particularly as relates to hazing or general "discrimination" against pledges, alcohol rules, etc.  They have strong and loyal alumni bases whose loyalty only extends to the local chapter.

Note that the anti-hazing rules of most fraternities not only prohibit any kind of physical or verbal abuse, but virtually any type of disparate treatment of pledges beyond acknowledging that they are not initiated members.  This has been the case for 30 plus years.

Edited by TwiceHorn

29 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yeah, too anachronistic in today's climate.  A shame, too, because they offer some good things that aren't quite duplicated by other student organizations.

It kind of seems that the more fraternities are ostracized, the worse their behavior gets.

It is my impression, and it may be wrong, that college students are somewhat less likely to engage in the stupid-ass, binge drinking partying that most everyone did back in the day.  But it seems that the ones that do do it are stupider than ever.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Anyone who was in a fraternity and doesnt admit racism was a core value, is a fucking liar,   This is especially true during the 90s.  

that being said, It ain’t like the non fraternity dorks weren’t pledging because of that.   They simply did t have the money or connections or were....turds.....that nobody wanted to associate with.  Racism in the 90s wasnt  a Greek only thing.  

Most geeks I know, ended up with jobs that lead them to mature enough to denounce their confederate flag on their wall days....  but some are still staunch Trumpers  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 6

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Most Texas chapters of any given national fraternity are pretty much their own thing.  They flaunt the rules of the national organization, particularly as relates to hazing or general "discrimination" against pledges, alcohol rules, etc.  They have strong and loyal alumni bases whose loyalty only extends to the local chapter.

Exactly. That’s the way it was back 30 years ago. I really don’t know what is going on now, nor do I care. And that’s part of the problem.

17 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Anyone who was in a fraternity and doesnt admit racism was a core value, is a fucking liar,   This is especially true during the 90s.  

that being said, It ain’t like the non fraternity dorks weren’t pledging because of that.   They simply did t have the money or connections or were....turds.....that nobody wanted to associate with.  Racism in the 90s wasnt  a Greek only thing.  

Most geeks I know, ended up with jobs that lead them to mature enough to denounce their confederate flag on their wall days....  but some are still staunch Trumpers  

No, actually you are making shit up.

I was a pledge in 89, and then an active fraternity member. There was never a racial component. And it especially wasn’t a black thing. You are probably too young to remember but this is back in the Tony Luckett days.  The core values were drink, no drugs, do well in school. They’d give me a lot of shit for not being from Highland Park, though.

Hell, in my pledge class back then we had multiple minorities. It was a financial thing not a racist thing.

I’ll almost doxx myself here, but my fraternity got in trouble for a tshirt during roundup for our basketball tournament. Looking back it was insensitive, but the black football players playing in the tournament couldn’t buy enough of the shirts.

Any further discussion you want is in the Cloak Room since you seem to want to go there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

6 hours ago, Brew said:

That has been a concern of universities, both public and private, for quite some time. Although not endorsed by a higher ed institution, the memberships are essentially limited to young men registered at said institution so it creates bad PR for the institution, in this case UT. They aren't affiliated with the national organization so that creates bad PR for them, but that often dissipates much more quickly.  W/O getting political, perhaps one of the law knowledgeable on here could explain how difficult that makes it for institutions and communities when it comes to 'policing' this type of behavior. I only follow the stuff that occurs in Texas for the most part, but A&M had a series of greek incidents over the last several years but that doesn't seem to have slowed them down at all. Considering that at least one of those, maybe a second, involved a fatality and illegal substances (not simply alcohol) I was curious why that particular group in this case wasn't considered a 'gang.' They were selling drugs to other frat members, they had organizational structure, rumors of initiations, etc. What separates them from a gang with respect to Texas criminal code other than they don't congregate on the 'streets'?

5 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Sorry you’re still livid and bitter about not getting a bid.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, back then stupid shit happened at drunken parties, like all drunken parties.  But roofying someone was beyond the pale and would be dire shit for the perp.

Correct.  There was no roofying back in the mid 80s when I was there.  Like Twice said, plenty of stupid shit, like guys drinking entire bottles of vodka, passing out on the roof (3 stories), and then rolling off to their death type stupid.

That's the only "Roofie" we knew of.

I lived in New Orleans for the better part of a decade and roofies were widely used by Hondurans down on Bourbon St.  They'd roofie anyone they could, girls, guys, those identifying as whatever.  The game was to pretend to be your pal, offer to buy you a beer/drink, roofie the fuck out of you and then follow your staggering ass out of Razoo's (or whetever) so that they could roll your ass in some back alley or in your hotel room.

Guess all Hondurans should be taken out and summarily shot to improve the world we live in.

Fuck 'em all, Right Gil?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, justhookit said:

Sounds like it’s your age group with the problem, not us olds. Carry on 🤘

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

There was a huge issue with KA a few years ago you may know about. Lawsuits, etc.

I wasn’t in that fraternity but I got a pretty good look at what was going on. People way older than me were very pissed off.

I was GDI but had a good friend in SAE and another in a 2nd tier frat. Went to a lot of their weekend keggers and never saw any dopers, doping, raping, etc. Just good old drunkfests and coeds treated like Doris Day. Of course those were the days when possession of a joint could land you in prison for life and rapists could get the death penalty.

Ones of my friends got blackballed out of his frat though - seems that during one kegger he had to piss rather badly and the nearest bathroom was occupied. So he pissed in an acoustic guitar that was conveniently located nearby. Turns out said guitar belonged to the frat president.  Said friend later in life became the city manager of a midsized Texas city.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I was GDI but had a good friend in SAE and another in a 2nd tier frat. Went to a lot of their weekend keggers and never saw any dopers, doping, raping, etc. Just good old drunkfests and coeds treated like Doris Day. Of course those were the days when possession of a joint could land you in prison for life and rapists could get the death penalty.
Ones of my friends got blackballed out of his frat though - seems that during one kegger he had to piss rather badly and the nearest bathroom was occupied. So he pissed in an acoustic guitar that was conveniently located nearby. Turns out said guitar belonged to the frat president.  Said friend later in life became the city manager of a midsized Texas city.

I bet those keggers during the Civil War were epic!
  • Hook 'Em 1

Know how we know you never went to college?
  • Fuck You 2

26 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
8 hours ago, justhookit said:

Read more  

Know how we know you never went to college?

Your mom went to college 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The SAEs I knew in the early and mid 90s were not particularly racist.  They tended to be either more pot smoking/widespread panic inclined, or coked up (sometimes both).  Ill never forget walking in a house party hosted by some SAEs on Duval with the biggest pile of coke on the table I have ever seen.  It was like the end of Scarface. 

The few racists I knew at the time were mostly KAs (they still did that old south shit) and Kappa Sigs but there really werent that many,

As for roofie rapeyness, I never heard anything about this at all, but I am sure it happened.  alcohol induced date rape was a real thing.  

Edited by Gardner Barnes

what shocks me about any of these frats is reading all these linked stories.....why would  any grown ass man still want anything to do with them.  why do you want to go back to college to hang around the frat?  even on alumi weekends and shit like that.  

very uncle rico

Edited by Gardner Barnes
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

The SAEs I knew in the early and mid 90s were not particularly racist.  They tended to be either more pot smoking/widespread panic inclined, or coked up (sometimes both!).  The few racists I knew at the time were mostly KAs (they still did that old south shit) and Kappa Sigs but there really werent that many,

As for rapeyness, I never heard anything about this at all, but I am sure it happened.  Maybe not with roofies but alcohol induced date rape was a real thing.  

KA is still pretty racist nationally. They will be dissolved nationally before that is corrected.

Fiji is still racist at UT. SAE at SMU was pretty closet racist - you could count the minorities that were ever a member on one hand. 

I will admit that there were a few racist members of my chapter, but most of that started with the kids a couple classes below me and none of it was acceptable. I mean if you had said some racist shit in chapter you would have been kicked out of the fraternity almost immediately.

When you are pledging 30 guys every spring it's hard to guarantee that there are no bad apples. Even as involved as I was in rush as a sophomore I probably didn't know a third of the guys we pledged. 

What was unfortunate about SMU is that the more diverse fraternities trended towards the middle or bottom. When I pledged we were maybe the most diverse fraternity on campus, but also in the bottom third. When I graduated, I hadn't been involved in anything frat related in probably a year but we were at worst 4th on campus and starting to get more white. Which I think would be a fascinating discussion that might be too politically charged to have here.

Oh, and as far as date rape goes, it was condoned about as much as bringing a shotgun into a classroom and blowing your prof to kingdom come. If it came out that anyone had done that then they would be lucky to avoid a brother calling the cops much less stay a member.