SAE seems rapey

DDD Dad

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I frankly outgrew fraternity bullshit my junior year. Some of best friends now are non-E-dogs. 

Yeah I was basically done after fall semester my Junior year.

But I was an absolute shithead that had basically ostracized himself so it wasn't really worth hanging onto.

I’m from a small collage town/city. I’d never met more racists than when I lived at the Castilian at UT, and they were always the rich douche bags from the big cities and suburbs of Houston and Dallas.

My frat was very diverse with Hispanics and Asians, Jews and Gentiles, meatheads and hippies, football players and theater guys, etc.

I do not recall anyone being a racist. We had African Americans students at our parties all the time.

However, when I went home one weekend and visited a hometown friend, his frat bro had a gigantic confederate flag on the wall. I was appalled. Of course the kid was from a rich family in Dallas...

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Anyone who was in a fraternity and doesnt admit racism was a core value, is a fucking liar,   This is especially true during the 90s.  

that being said, It ain’t like the non fraternity dorks weren’t pledging because of that.   They simply did t have the money or connections or were....turds.....that nobody wanted to associate with.  Racism in the 90s wasnt  a Greek only thing.  

Most geeks I know, ended up with jobs that lead them to mature enough to denounce their confederate flag on their wall days....  but some are still staunch Trumpers  (Biden was a KA. Trump was not in a fraternity.)

If fraternities were a race, you would be a blatant racist. Since they aren't, consider yourself a bigot. There are black fraternities, jewish fraternities, etc.

7 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

I’m from a small collage town/city. I’d never met more racists than when I lived at the Castilian at UT, and they were always the rich douche bags from the big cities and suburbs of Houston and Dallas.

My frat was very diverse with Hispanics and Asians, Jews and Gentiles, meatheads and hippies, football players and theater guys, etc.

I do not recall anyone being a racist. We had African Americans students at our parties all the time.

However, when I went home one weekend and visited a hometown friend, his frat bro had a gigantic confederate flag on the wall. I was appalled. Of course the kid was from a rich family in Dallas...

Sounds right but I think Texas has gotten markedly less racist. The more racist people I knew in my fraternity were from Memphis, Chicago, and the northeast.

They were all exceedingly wealthy. (But so were 90% of us myself not included)

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

If fraternities were a race, you would be a blatant racist. Since they aren't, consider yourself a bigot. There are black fraternities, jewish fraternities, etc.

Another discussion point. A few racists aside, my class and the 2 classes above me and the one under me were probably 10% gay.

My dad was blackballed out of his first frat at Mizzou in 1929.
Seems he brewed up a big batch of bathtub gin, but forgot to tape the metal drain fitting (a huge no-no). Of course that spoiled the shitty booze even more and wound up making everybody deathly sick at the weekend party.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

One in my class came out his junior year. He avoided us like the plague as if we were homophobic or something. I finally saw him at a house party of a mutual friend and told him how happy I was for him.

Some of the ones I knew were out already by the time I left - or tried to keep it at the "bisexual" label (which was silly, I'm not sure any of them were sleeping with women).

I think all of them are proudly out now, which is cool. Score one for 2020 ig.

I was in a fraternity my first two years at North Carolina State before transferring to Texas. There were some country ass North Carolinians who would drop racist comments from time to time that were bothersome, but overall they were a great group of guys and I loved the experience.

They didn’t have a chapter of that fraternity at Texas, and I was kind of relieved, because (a) like others have said, as much as I loved it my first two years of college, I had outgrown the fraternity culture by my junior year, and (b) while there was certainly a douchey element of fraternity life at N.C. State, UT turned that up to 11, and it just wasn’t me.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gardner Barnes said:

what shocks me about any of these frats is reading all these linked stories.....why would  any grown ass man still want anything to do with them.  why do you want to go back to college to hang around the frat?  even on alumi weekends and shit like that.  

very uncle rico

@TwiceHorn alluded to it. It’s not about that, but the personal and business connections you make in the fraternity last a lifetime.

I’m not active in reunions or anything of the sort and don’t keep in contact with anyone from my fraternity other than the guys I run into on a social basis. But if I was in jail in Costa Rica or needed a job, with one phone call I’d have a network of easily 200 guys helping me out. That’s irreplaceable value that you just don’t get from other student organizations.

8 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Anyone who was in a fraternity and doesnt admit racism was a core value, is a fucking liar,   This is especially true during the 90s.  

that being said, It ain’t like the non fraternity dorks weren’t pledging because of that.   They simply did t have the money or connections or were....turds.....that nobody wanted to associate with.  Racism in the 90s wasnt  a Greek only thing.  

Most geeks I know, ended up with jobs that lead them to mature enough to denounce their confederate flag on their wall days....  but some are still staunch Trumpers  

Racist in the sense of insensitivity to racial issues, sure.  But racist in terms of wanting to hold back or exclude persons of color as a "core value," nah.  Some, sure, just like any cross-section of white males or white people.  I'm quite sure there were a number of frats that wouldn't pledge a black guy, but also had many members who personally would have.

I know of several "white" fraternities that tried to pledge black guys and one tactic was to bid an athlete in hopes of breaking the color barrier, but the black guys were afraid to do it for a number of reasons, one of which no doubt was fear of encountering flat-out racism either in their own chapter or elsewhere in the Greek system.  There were some different concerns, too, relating to how it would change their perception in the black community or among their own family.  At SMU, of all places, it was more common to pledge black guys.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

At SMU, of all places, it was more common to pledge black guys.

Depends on the frat. I don't remember a black Pike or SAE while I was there. Maybe not a Fiji but that just wasn't their vibe, I don't think they were racist at all.

5 minutes ago, justhookit said:

@TwiceHorn alluded to it. It’s not about that, but the personal and business connections you make in the fraternity last a lifetime.

I’m not active in reunions or anything of the sort and don’t keep in contact with anyone from my fraternity other than the guys I run into on a social basis. But if I was in jail in Costa Rica or needed a job, with one phone call I’d have a network of easily 200 guys helping me out. That’s irreplaceable value that you just don’t get from other student organizations.

It's not even about alumni networking, although that can be a factor.

The experience of trying to get a couple hundred dudes to pull in the same direction on any issue, whether it be how to throw a party and what beer to buy, or which charity to patronize and how to do it, or whether to pledge a black guy, whether to mix with this or that sorority, or what to do with the guy who was doing or dealing drugs in the house, and so on and so forth, was an experience in leadership and organizational behavior that wasn't present in other student orgs that I participated in.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Depends on the frat. I don't remember a black Pike or SAE while I was there. Maybe not a Fiji but that just wasn't their vibe, I don't think they were racist at all.

It's always going to depend on the frat.  I was in law school with a handful of black guys who were members of white frats at SMU in the late 80s.  

Of course, if you are a black dude that chooses to attend SMU, then you are probably already ok or at least reconciled with the good and bad aspects of white culture, whatever they are.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Racist in the sense of insensitivity to racial issues, sure.  But racist in terms of wanting to hold back or exclude persons of color as a "core value," nah.  Some, sure, just like any cross-section of white males or white people.  I'm quite sure there were a number of frats that wouldn't pledge a black guy, but also had many members who personally would have.

I know of several "white" fraternities that tried to pledge black guys and one tactic was to bid an athlete in hopes of breaking the color barrier, but the black guys were afraid to do it for a number of reasons, one of which no doubt was fear of encountering flat-out racism either in their own chapter or elsewhere in the Greek system.  There were some different concerns, too, relating to how it would change their perception in the black community or among their own family.  At SMU, of all places, it was more common to pledge black guys.

Exactly what I was trying to convey.  Thanks for saying it better.  

The black/white issue is 100% accurate.   Any black dude you’d want to pledge, had no interest in not pledging Omega or the like.   Can’t blame them.  

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The experience of trying to get a couple hundred dudes to pull in the same direction on any issue, whether it be how to throw a party and what beer to buy, or which charity to patronize and how to do it, or whether to pledge a black guy, whether to mix with this or that sorority, or what to do with the guy who was doing or dealing drugs in the house, and so on and so forth, was an experience in leadership and organizational behavior that wasn't present in other student orgs that I participated in.

Yep. There are so many things I learned through pledgeship and then rushing kids the next year that you would never learn outside a fraternity. It's why most politicians were Greek. It's basically a crash course in politics - especially the nastier side. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I was in a fraternity my first two years at North Carolina State before transferring to Texas. There were some country ass North Carolinians who would drop racist comments from time to time that were bothersome, but overall they were a great group of guys and I loved the experience.

They didn’t have a chapter of that fraternity at Texas, and I was kind of relieved, because (a) like others have said, as much as I loved it my first two years of college, I had outgrown the fraternity culture by my junior year, and (b) while there was certainly a douchey element of fraternity life at N.C. State, UT turned that up to 11, and it just wasn’t me.

I don't know if frats are any different than any other organization. And I think at UT they are somewhat needed to keep people from getting lost at such a big school. There were a few people who I liked and we remain friends and there was a large majority that I didn't particularly care for and who I don't keep in touch with. This was true when I attended other schools to obtain graduate degrees and when I worked at companies and when I see former employees. As for frat life, I attended a few of the parties. I ate lunch there. I played a lot of basketball. I learned what classes to take. And that was the extent of it.

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

what shocks me about any of these frats is reading all these linked stories.....why would  any grown ass man still want anything to do with them.  why do you want to go back to college to hang around the frat?  even on alumi weekends and shit like that.  

very uncle rico

i cant old school GIF

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Yep. There are so many things I learned through pledgeship and then rushing kids the next year that you would never learn outside a fraternity. It's why most politicians were Greek. It's basically a crash course in politics - especially the nastier side. 

Weirdly, the closest analogy that I can draw is to Scouting or a team sport.  But there weren't any adult leaders around to "take control" or force any issue.  You have this group of people that are somewhat arbitrarily bound together and trying to do stuff as a unit. And they're all governed by consent and consensus.

My freshman year ('89) I had a rich roommate from Dallas (seeing a trend here) who pledged Sigma Nu. He had the most impressive vocabulary of racial slurs I'd ever heard. Also would openly brag about him and his buds going out to beat up homosexuals for sport.

I can't say if all his frat bros were anything like him, but it sure gave me a bad impression. I know Sigma Nu got closed down not long after.

The complainant in the OP is a Kappa. I wont say more in the interest of privacy, but she doesn't seem to be hiding anything.

Brave girl.

Not only would e-dog leadership and membership be pretty pissed about sexual assault generally, one would think fucking up their relationship with Kappa Kappa Gamma would be a hanging, drawing, and quartering offense.

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, too anachronistic in today's climate.  A shame, too, because they offer some good things that aren't quite duplicated by other student organizations.

It kind of seems that the more fraternities are ostracized, the worse their behavior gets.

It is my impression, and it may be wrong, that college students are somewhat less likely to engage in the stupid-ass, binge drinking partying that most everyone did back in the day.  But it seems that the ones that do do it are stupider than ever.

You're like having a word of the day calendar on the desk.

I like that about you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Some of the ones I knew were out already by the time I left - or tried to keep it at the "bisexual" label (which was silly, I'm not sure any of them were sleeping with women).

I think all of them are proudly out now, which is cool. Score one for 2020 ig.

"Bi-sexual"?   

Either you suck dick, or you don't suck dick. 

I am not aware of any clear alcohol or other drug-induced date rapes during my time in undergrad.

I am quite sure there were some both-parties-shitfaced-no-effective-consent-regrettable situations, and probably a few "fuck her, fuck her good, suck those tits, squeeze those buns" situations, but no one I knew participated in or was aware of any.  That would have been frowned upon, to say the least.

It always seemed that voluntarily or accidentally, someone was always either sober enough or clear-headed enough to take care of people that were dangerously intoxicated.  I specifically remember numerous incidents where members, their dates, and just random partygoers, male and female, were taken care of when they couldn't do so themselves.  The Seeberger incident was during my time, so we had that as an object lesson that you can't just put drunks to bed.

There was one fraternity in particular, though, where I don't think that could be counted on.  And there were 2-3-4 public incidents to back it up.  Whole lot of sociopaths in that one, but I had a couple of good friends in it and they were normal good guys if a little willing to play quien es mas macho games.  I never could quite figure that out and still can't.  

Edited by TwiceHorn

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am quite sure there were some both-parties-shitfaced-no-effective-consent-regrettable situations, and probably a few "fuck her, fuck her good, suck those tits, squeeze those buns" situations,

keep going, twicehorn, im almost there

55 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am not aware of any clear alcohol or other drug-induced date rapes during my time in undergrad.

I am quite sure there were some both-parties-shitfaced-no-effective-consent-regrettable situations, and probably a few "fuck her, fuck her good, suck those tits, squeeze those buns" situations, but no one I knew participated in or was aware of any.  That would have been frowned upon, to say the least.

It always seemed that voluntarily or accidentally, someone was always either sober enough or clear-headed enough to take care of people that were dangerously intoxicated.  I specifically remember numerous incidents where members, their dates, and just random partygoers, male and female, were taken care of when they couldn't do so themselves.  The Seeberger incident was during my time, so we had that as an object lesson that you can't just put drunks to bed.

There was one fraternity in particular, though, where I don't think that could be counted on.  And there were 2-3-4 public incidents to back it up.  Whole lot of sociopaths in that one, but I had a couple of good friends in it and they were normal good guys if a little willing to play quien es mas macho games.  I never could quite figure that out and still can't.  

I had friends that were ATO's. Generally, they liked to drink and fight. Fiji's were generally too preppy for my liking and I knew a few whose brothers went to Baylor: Just not my cup of tea.

18 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

It ain’t like the non fraternity dorks weren’t pledging because of that.   They simply did t have the money or connections or were....turds.....that nobody wanted to associate with.  Racism in the 90s wasnt  a Greek only thing.  

Some of us had self-esteem, a future vision, friends, played in bands, and didn’t have to work to slay pussy. 

What the fuck did I need a frat for?  

• Hook 'Em 1

I heard about this a few weeks or so ago. My niece knows both of the dudes and was telling me about it. I’ll follow up with her today to see if they’re kinda rapey. I can’t remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rapey.

Very sad. When the story comes out you’ll probably be sick.

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Rapey.

Very sad. When the story comes out you’ll probably be sick.

Spill the beans, brother. You are in the circle of Surligma Shagepisilon Hornmega Trust tree. Or are you NOT one of us, you GDI?

Edited by Rougarou

On 9/26/2020 at 12:24 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Weirdly, the closest analogy that I can draw is to Scouting or a team sport.  But there weren't any adult leaders around to rape little boys  or force any issue.  You have this group of people that are somewhat arbitrarily bound together and trying to do stuff as a unit. And they're all governed by consent and consensus.

FIFY

On 9/25/2020 at 11:26 PM, DDD Dad said:

I'll take "I belt Sophie does not believe Tara Reade for $1,000 Alex."

I love 'murica. Everyone changes their complete world views depending on who they're pointing them at ... take this thread ... making broad, generalized statements about an entire group of people based on allegations. I think we have a words for that ... hmm ... I am trying to recall what they are.

• Hook 'Em 1