SAE seems rapey

DDD Dad

On 9/26/2020 at 1:20 PM, Paper_jam said:

My freshman year ('89) I had a rich roommate from Dallas (seeing a trend here) who pledged Sigma Nu. He had the most impressive vocabulary of racial slurs I'd ever heard. Also would openly brag about him and his buds going out to beat up homosexuals for sport.

I can't say if all his frat bros were anything like him, but it sure gave me a bad impression. I know Sigma Nu got closed down not long after.

mad men smoking GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Fraternities have kind of a cop problem.  Most frat guys are pretty good dudes.  But there are a few, just like is statistically probable, that are not good dudes.

Fraternities, like police unions and the thin blue line, don't do enough to expose and root out the bad guys.  And sometimes, the bad or baddish dudes get control or influence and the herd mentality takes over.

• Hook 'Em 2

csb/ The SAE's at Stetson University were one of only 2 or 3 fraternities that didn't get kicked off campus for alcohol, drug, or sex related crimes.  They were all standup guys, I never heard one bad rumor about them.  Most of the SAE's I've met late in life from UT seem to also be those kinds of guys.  But I've also noticed that the type of young men, in the same fraternity, vary wildly from one school to the next. 

At Stetson, Delta Sigma Phi was big deal fraternity and they were summarily removed from campus and several of their brothers expelled for distributing steroids, narcotics sales, gang rapes, and some racially-induced hate crimes (Florida gonna Florida).  At UT, they get great press for the civic engagement and are among some of the best and nicest students I have in my class.  

Anyone who was in a fraternity and doesnt admit racism was a core value, is a fucking liar,   This is especially true during the 90s.  

that being said, It ain’t like the non fraternity dorks weren’t pledging because of that.   They simply did t have the money or connections or were....turds.....that nobody wanted to associate with.  Racism in the 90s wasnt  a Greek only thing.  

Most geeks I know, ended up with jobs that lead them to mature enough to denounce their confederate flag on their wall days....  but some are still staunch Trumpers  

For most fraternities, I would agree with you. But my pledge class in 2003 was 15 guys. Less than half of us were white. Racism was absolutely not part of the culture. And we weren’t some academic, nerdy frat. We partied plenty hard. On and off probation with the national org and eventually lost our charter a few years after I graduated.

That’s not to say we didn’t have plenty of shitheads. They just weren’t racist shitheads or rapists.