Court Expansion / Adding PR and DC as States

Orale

27 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

By the way, I don't agree with this.  People aren't going to vote against Biden because of talk about DC/PR statehood or expanding the number of justices.

I think it is important to talk about these things, however, for two reasons:

1) It is important to shift the Overton window to put these issues within the realm of reasonable debate.  We can't treat them as radical or outrageous ideas that shouldn't be debated.  Because they're not radical.  They're not outrageous.  DC and PR are full of American citizens and they should be states.  And the Republicans stole a SCOTUS seat, and that needs to be remedied.  These are things that should be discussed.

2) If you want to do them once you have power--and I think Democrats should--then you need to talk about them during the campaign.  Only if they were discussed during the campaign can you claim to have an electoral mandate to carry out those reforms once you gain power.

Really well made points. If Biden says no to court packing or adding states and then does it then it carries a lack of legitimacy thats going to be galling to many non partisans. If he says this is what we are going to talk about it and then does it then it’s a shoulder shrug and “elections have consequences” and nobody cares or feels something sinister happened. 
excellent use of Overton window. I’ve not heard that used in years.