Move To Ban The Eyes of Texas

Slick16

23 hours ago, Lobo said:

A few months before Covid-19 started (I wanna say OCtober/November of 2019...not sure), about two years ago, they had a deal at the Zlotnik Ballroom to say we had been in a double-secret quiet phase for a year already.  So that's three total years in quiet phase as of now.  about 18 months ago, I read $1bn raised.  I'm sure it slowed a bit during Covid-19, not that a $50mm gift is gonna care about pandemic, but more about travel and logistics and donor engagement.  They touched on it yesterday at Dev Board with some ambiguity because of in-kind donation valuations, but I think the running total is about $1.5-$1.6bn as of now. 

It's cliche, but they really want to downplay the overall target amount.  The individual CSU goals will be hyped up more than last time.  But it does seem like Hartzell is bound and determined to go for more impact/partnership this time around.  There'll be a significant goal (I would think ~7-8bn on the low end, $10bn on the high end.), but it'll really be about partnerships with entities like Army Futures Command, Big Pharma, Applied Materials, incubators, VC funds, et. al.  JV's that be counted as in-kinds to the tune of $25-$100mm at a pop.  Always creative accounting with these things but Hartzell has been talking about exploiting our time and place in the country and what's happening in Texas and Austin for a decade while other campus leaders were kinda spinning their wheels about it.  He's already executing on it.  It's only gonna get better.  There's a huge fucking bombshell coming out for the School of Nursing coming out later this academic year.  I think there's a few posters on here who have children studying there right now...stay tuned.  

Anyway, I'm happy for Jay and happy he's at the helm.  He started out this time last year with Covid-19, the Eyes of Texas controversy, and a bunch of deans leaving their posts.  But things are back on track and humming along nicely.  Campaign will publicly start March (I think during SXSW actually for publicity purposes).  And will likely be said to conclude at the literal end of the decade.  Which would be right at 8 full years.  CDC let loose that there's not much big planned on the athletics front in terms of the capital campaign because everything will be pretty much done by this summer (obviously some gifts for Moody are counted into the silent phase), but a large refresh to Disch-Falk is baked in for later this decade.  Didn't get into specifics obviously.  All I know is we set the campaign back a bit yesterday by drinking everything we could find in the SEZ.  

Damn. I asked my contacts in the college of pharmacy about it and they're not in the know. PM me if this is too sensitive to be talked about publicly this early but damn that's interesting

the former Dean and his former sidekick (Scott, IIRC) were with us during the discussion.  I'm so shitty with names.  But our #4 nursing school is about to have a hyper-space leap into the future. Won't happen for another year and admittedly most of what they said were words I do not understand.  It's been awhile since I deployed my time-tested intel-collecting practice where I keep getting people drinks, ask them open ended questions, and then shut and listen.  I haven't been to anything like that in a long while and I think I got the formula wrong in that I asked questions and was quiet but I drank enough for everybody in the group and forgot most of what I heard.