Move To Ban The Eyes of Texas

Slick16

2 hours ago, Mappable said:

Edmund "Ted" Gordon makes $181,751 a year to stir the pot.

$1,196,305 per year for all the salaries below:

https://salaries.texastribune.org/university-of-texas-at-austin/departments/department-of-african-and-african-diaspora-studies/positions/associate-professor/

Edmund T. Gordon $181,751
Cherise Smith $154,394
Stephen H. Marshall $129,000
Minkah Makalani $119,178
Lisa B. Thompson $112,741
Natasha Tinsley $111,147
Kevin M. Foster $106,985
Simone Arlene Browne $96,929
Marcelo Jorge De Paula Paixao $94,200
Omoniyi Afolabi $90,000

8729eeb37996b3fb2fdd2e8c23ea6d1d.jpg

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The eyes of Texas are upon you
All the live long days
And you cannot get away

Do not think you can escape them
From night till early in the morn
Till Gabriel blows his horn

Somebody please highlight the racist parts for me.

(Is there a verse I'm not aware of)

"Till Gabriel blows his horn" always did sound a little homoerotic to me. "Horn" could have a hidden double-meaning for a male UT student who had a boyfriend named Gabriel. Looking at it that way, it may have actually been the most progressive song in the 1900's. Decades and decades ahead of its time. 

10 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

We need to eventually ban cotton, produce, and lot of other things for the same reason. Let’s be reasonable here.

I'm guessing Confederate sympathizers were still in the Texas legislature when UT was founded in 1876.   How do they reconcile even attending a school founded by racists, much less singing its racist song?  What's next?  Tear the whole campus down?

3 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

All the live long days
And you cannot get away

This is something a racists would question.

• Like 1

If the song hadn't first been sung in a minstrel show then it wouldn't be so controversial. Prather repeating it off of Robert E Lee is more problematic but,he made it his own. Our past is checkered but we make right by trying to live up to the words on the main building, "Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."  

Pick your battles better, dude. This song has gone far too deep in our phyche to ever change it. 

9 hours ago, Anastasis said:

We do stand behind our values. What we don’t do is cower in fear and pretend the past did not happen. We accept and learn from our history, good and bad, and strive to always do better. Fear does not control our actions, and acting on that fear does not advance the goal. To change the world.

You sir are a coward, and let the fears you rally against enjoy a resurrection simply by pretending they never existed   

Have some self respect.  

Hookem. 

a lot of people get shouted down as racists for simply opposing the removal of statues or the changing of street names.  all they’ll say is “it’s a slippery slope, where does it end?” etc.  

well, here we are, dipshits.  you have set the ball rolling.  and it’s not gonna end any time soon.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, futureman said:

a lot of people get shouted down as racists for simply opposing the removal of statues or the changing of street names.  all they’ll say is “it’s a slippery slope, where does it end?” etc.  

well, here we are, dipshits.  you have set the ball rolling.  and it’s not gonna end any time soon.  

Whoa easy there man. This is a black white issue. We will get to Asians eventually.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TornACL said:

The Eyes of Texas are upon you
All the live long day
You cannot get away
From white male corporate oppression,
Police brutality and implicit bias
Until gender roles are eliminated entirely

I don't know it doesn't have the same ring to it.

It’ll be much more catchy when you hear 80,000 singing it at dkr-bho-tms 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

7 hours ago, Lurch said:

Bullshit. Overreaching now doesn’t mean preceding events weren’t appropriate.

if you don’t think our entire history is at risk because of this dismal tide you’re ignorant.  most of our founding fathers owned slaves, and the 21st century social justice retards are going to come after them in force.  statues of george washington will come down.

2 hours ago, futureman said:

if you don’t think our entire history is at risk because of this dismal tide you’re ignorant.  most of our founding fathers owned slaves, and the 21st century social justice retards are going to come after them in force.  statues of george washington will come down.

Our entire history is “at risk”?  Being a bit melodramatic over statues and songs, perhaps?

11 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Our entire history is “at risk”?  Being a bit melodramatic over statues and songs, perhaps?

I’m assuming the founding fathers are a big part of our entire history.  most of those monsters paid money for black people.  burn their memories. 

The objection is that the song was sung during minstrel shows? What song wasn't sung during minstrel shows in the 1900s? I want someone to provide me with a list of things that I can like that won't offend someone. I wonder how long that list would be. If this were a "second verse of the national anthem" situation that would be one thing. There's nothing remotely racist in the song. Ugh.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/19/2018 at 6:29 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

All the live long days
And you cannot get away

Pretty sure it was written by a white guy.

Got it, you fucking racist sympathizer? :P

On 4/19/2018 at 12:44 PM, Celery Man said:

I still didn’t read the part where it indicated that the song had a racist past. Maybe I was groaning too loudly to catch it. Texas was rife with racism when the song became the alma mater? At some point early in its history it was performed in a minstrel show? Waiting for the part where the song is racist.

I think they're referring to the fact that it's based on "I've Been Working on the Railroad.'"  The original lyrics were:

I been wukkin' on de railroad
All de livelong day,
Ter pass de time away.
Doan' yuh hyah de whistle blowin'?
Ris up, so uhly in de mawn;
Doan' yuh hyah de cap'n shouin',
"Dinah, blow yo' hawn?"
Sing a song o' the city;
Roll dat cotton bale;
Niggah aint half so happy
As when he's out o' jail
Norfolk foh its oystahshells,
Boston foh its beans,
Charleston foh its rice an' cawn,
But foh niggahs New Awleens

So it's even dumber than you thought.  This is a sins of the father type deal...

9 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Leaving on a Jet Plane

E-mail My Heart

I Want It That Way

Weird Al's Tacky

My Humps

I would be against losing "The Eyes.." but if it comes to that, then I would want this to be the replacement. 

On 4/21/2018 at 12:06 AM, DixonHur said:

I think they're referring to the fact that it's based on "I've Been Working on the Railroad.'"  The original lyrics were:

All de livelong day,
Ter pass de time away.
Doan' yuh hyah de whistle blowin'?
Ris up, so uhly in de mawn;
Doan' yuh hyah de cap'n shouin',
"Dinah, blow yo' hawn?"
Sing a song o' the city;
Roll dat cotton bale;
Niggah aint half so happy
As when he's out o' jail
Norfolk foh its oystahshells,
Boston foh its beans,
Charleston foh its rice an' cawn,
But foh niggahs New Awleens

So it's even dumber than you thought.  This is a sins of the father type deal...

eddie-murphy-characters-buckwheat.png

On 4/20/2018 at 8:03 AM, futureman said:

World keeps turning.

• 2 years later...

First and foremost, Black Lives Matter. 

Secondly, the premise that, because this song was first performed by men in blackface means, somehow, it in of itself is racist, is utterly ridiculous. Switch the song to "Happy Birthday." Doesn't quite work the same, does it?

Now, should it come out that the person or persons who wrote the song were racists, and there was some lost translation upon all of us that the "eyes" really mean white supremacy, then I'll be one of the first to say fuck it. 

There's too many other examples of blatant racism in 2020 for me to give this much further thought.