Not sure we will ever see a crazier game.

naija

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i dunno man. both teams blocking punts for TDs, both teams recovering onside kicks, both teams blowing double digit leads, Texas being down 15 with 3 minutes left and then forcing OT and winning there? In Lubbock? i don't recall a better, crazier regular season Texas game that I've ever seen. 

The only one I think I would put up there with it (aside from the okie lite games mentioned) would be the final aggy game. Especially when you include the magnanimity of it. 

59 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

You all fucking owe me.

For those that don’t know I am a volunteer firefighter

Well I see the first few mins of the game and then we start running calls.

I come home to watch us give up the lead and then I watch the run to give Tech 56.

I get another call and leave - boom. The magic happens. I stayed away during OT just to make sure.

Crazy.

No, you owe me... I watched two episodes of Antiques Roadshow during the 2nd half. Even Mrs. Brat couldn’t take any more when Tech hit 56. Afterwards we walked back into the living room and she hollered “the game is still on!”.

I still wouldn’t watch any of the OT.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

You all fucking owe me.

For those that don’t know I am a volunteer firefighter

Well I see the first few mins of the game and then we start running calls.

I come home to watch us give up the lead and then I watch the run to give Tech 56.

I get another call and leave - boom. The magic happens. I stayed away during OT just to make sure.

Crazy.

Just tell us where we need to start fires next week

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

No, you owe me... I watched two episodes of Antiques Roadshow during the 2nd half. Even Mrs. Brat couldn’t take any more when Tech hit 56. Afterwards we walked back into the living room and she hollered “the game is still on!”.

Time to get out the vacuum pump and do some penance by  rewarding Mrs. Brat for her keen observational skills.

Edited by El Squared
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

This is pretty much what I did except the TV show.  I changed the channel before that Tech RB was in the endzone.  I'm not sure why but I turned it back right after they tied it up.  I didn't watch the OT just because I figured they had done pretty well without me.  Goddamn, it's always good to get a win in Lubbock.  It's almost like the football gods knew they owed us. 

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Anyone not happy about the win is not a real fan.

Happy like the ER doctor said you just suffered a heart attack and you have three arteries blocked that need a bypass but you’re going to live happy.... Yes, then I guess I’m happy.

1 hour ago, bullet said:

We had like 3 in a row.  One year we were down 28-9 at half and won 47-28.  Another year was similar.  Then there was VY's 2nd greatest performance.  Down 35-7 with 2 minutes left in first half.  Drove the field to cut it to 35-14.  Final score 56-35.  49 straight points.

What I recall is that we went three years in a row where we won the second halfs 41-0, 49-0, and 35-0. After trailing at the half. Thinking prolly 2003, 4, and 5.

This is pretty much what I did except the TV show.  I changed the channel before that Tech RB was in the endzone.  I'm not sure why but I turned it back right after they tied it up.  I didn't watch the OT just because I figured they had done pretty well without me.  Goddamn, it's always good to get a win in Lubbock.  It's almost like the football gods knew they owed us. 

Coming back from Marfa I made my girlfriend drive I-10 from Ozona to home through San Antonio so I would have a signal to stream. I was so disgusted I made her drive a longer drive. I turned it off at the same point you did exactly.

I saw, “OMG” on the game thread and a mention of an onside kick 3 minutes later and I turned it back on to see the replay of the onsides.

I watched the rest. Happy they won but when thinking about championships, relieved is all I could muster for this team.

This win was nothing like the nail biters Vince Young had a few times. Those you knew the Horns escaped but you knew the horns were a legit top 3 team.

This team is not on that level.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2005 Ohio State is the greatest regular season game ever.  This abortion is about 295th on the list.

I’ll throw 1990 UH game as the top candidate.

Plus any OU game that we’ve won. Several against A&M. Beating Auburn (Bo Jackson). Penn State in the Meadowlands.

Thrilled that we won....but anyone who thought that was the “best ever” must be 12.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

If they don't squib the last kickoff they probably win by 15. No idea why they did that. 

Football coaches at all levels generally are inherently of below average intelligence and tend to error on the side of conservative in games.  And it ends up costing them so many times.  There are myriad examples, but I'll never forget Lovie Smith squid kicking it with like 8 seconds left against Atlanta and they were able to make a quick slant pass to the sidelines and won the game with a FG.

2 hours ago, bullet said:

We had like 3 in a row.  One year we were down 28-9 at half and won 47-28.  Another year was similar.  Then there was VY's 2nd greatest performance.  Down 35-7 with 2 minutes left in first half.  Drove the field to cut it to 35-14.  Final score 56-35.  49 straight points.

Yeah, and this game was like none of those.  In those we started like shit but realized we were better and played like it.  In this game a very shitty Tech team just managed to play shittier than us to close the game.  

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

69f6946aa91d7db39dd8dbc43b587898.jpg

and there was till plenty more to come. best regular season Texas game since Arkie in '69, and seeing as that was the de facto national championship game, i don't have a problem calling this the best, most exciting regular season game in Texas history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This game wasn't even close to as good as multiple OU games in that timespan. 

1 hour ago, troph said:

This team is not on that level.

There's no way of knowing that, really. We don't know how good Tech is. We know from past experience that it is difficult to project how we play in Lubbock over the rest of the season. Worse Texas teams have beat better Tech teams in Lubbock and better Texas teams have lost in Lubbock. 

Who in the country besides Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State would you take on a neutral field more than 50 times against Texas with a healthier receiver room? Without having to think about it? Florida? Notre Dame?

LSU gave up 600 passing yards today. OU blew a 35-14 lead at home to a shitty K State team.

If all we're doing is playing last man standing then Texas is still standing. We will likely be ranked 6th in the country on Monday.

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, 2008 OU was pretty unreal. 

Shipley's return to start the comeback is one of my favorite all time plays to see in person.  Obviously not as high as 4th and 5, but up there with Vince to Sweed at the Shoe, Dawson's 137 yd FG into hurricane force winds, and Ricky mudholing aggy on his way to the record.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i dunno man. both teams blocking punts for TDs, both teams recovering onside kicks, both teams blowing double digit leads, Texas being down 15 with 3 minutes left and then forcing OT and winning there? In Lubbock? i don't recall a better, crazier regular season Texas game that I've ever seen. 

I was a junior in 05.  I watched the OSU game at a friend's apartment in North campus.  It was one of those buildings with three or four floors, with the individual apartments wrapped around an inner courtyard.  Right after we won (in the Shoe, at night!), all of us - not just me and my friends - but all of us in that building, probably 100 UT students, went outside, stood around that courtyard, and sang the Eyes of Texas and Texas Fight together for what seemed like 30 minutes.  It sounds a little cheesy now.  But that win erased the 90s, it erased 2001 Colorado, it erased the OU debacles, it erased the "Texas can't win a big game" bullshit, and it solidified the Horns as a no-shit national power in a way that no other game had done in decades.

There hasn't been a "better" regular season Texas game than 05 Ohio State since DKR was roaming the sidelines.  Tonight was a fun ending, but it doesn't come close.

• Like 3