Not sure we will ever see a crazier game.

naija

37 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

This game will do more to make us better than a blowout win would have. Even better that it happened early before we get tested by better teams.

Seems optimistic. We showed today that we’re terribly coached. Can’t tackle, can’t block a 3 man rush and we’re hoping our coaching staff can fix that? I don’t see it. We’ll be in a lot of shoot outs and it’ll be hard to win them all. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There's no way of knowing that, really. We don't know how good Tech is. We know from past experience that it is difficult to project how we play in Lubbock over the rest of the season. Worse Texas teams have beat better Tech teams in Lubbock and better Texas teams have lost in Lubbock. 

Who in the country besides Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State would you take on a neutral field more than 50 times against Texas with a healthier receiver room? Without having to think about it? Florida? Notre Dame?

LSU gave up 600 passing yards today. OU blew a 35-14 lead at home to a shitty K State team.

If all we're doing is playing last man standing then Texas is still standing. We will likely be ranked 6th in the country on Monday.

I said that level. You quoted it. That level was a championship dominate level. You’ve named three teams better than this Texas team with certainty. Which teams were better than the VY teams that escaped Lubbock, Lawrence, Manhattan and Stillwater? Probably not even this years Bama, Clemson or Ohio State. Texas is a top 10-15 team for sure, maybe top 10 but to your point we don’t know much and those teams in the 6-15 range are all garbled up. The unranked Kansas State team would probably curb stomp the Texas team that showed up today.

My point is when VY walked out of Lawrence with a W you knew the next week was another W, even if the Jayhawks scared the bejesus out of us. No one in their right mind sees a guaranteed W every week here.

19 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Seems optimistic.. We showed today that we’re terribly coached. Can’t tackle, can’t block a 3 man rush and we’re hoping our coaching staff can fix that? I don’t see it. We’ll be in a lot of shoot outs and it’ll be hard to win them all. 

Yes, I am.

Edited by Wishbone

5 hours ago, bullet said:

We had like 3 in a row.  One year we were down 28-9 at half and won 47-28.  Another year was similar.  Then there was VY's 2nd greatest performance.  Down 35-7 with 2 minutes left in first half.  Drove the field to cut it to 35-14.  Final score 56-35.  49 straight points.

I was there in shitty seats behind the Okie State band.  After the game I couldn't speak for a day or 2 at all, and another day or 2 I kept coughing until I got my voice completely back.  I remember during those few years the fans used to actually be loud.

That game caused me to get season tickets the next 10 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Seems optimistic. We showed today that we’re terribly coached. Can’t tackle, can’t block a 3 man rush and we’re hoping our coaching staff can fix that? I don’t see it. We’ll be in a lot of shoot outs and it’ll be hard to win them all. 

9 hours ago, Wishbone said:

Yes, I am.

This seems to be the dividing line between types of Texas fans.

Some are most invested in some sort of intellectual reward for not being fooled about the quality of the team. This type seems to be more concerned with the season than the individual games.

Others take it game by game and look for reasons to be optimistic with each win and still somewhat hopeful after a loss or two.

I, as Wishbone, fall into the optimistic category. It's been frustrating, but at least I did enjoy the wins except for the run of needlessly close games against poor teams the past several years. The pattern of jumping out in front then pissing away the lead was maddening. I don't care that I was wrong in my optimism about Charlie and now Herman. So what if I was wrong or will be proved wrong.

This season, we've done what we should to a team like UTEP. We also did what a good team does against a more formidable weaker team that takes an unexpected lead. We came back.

We gave up a huge number of points, tackled miserably, and the OL seems to have been drugged at half-time. No doubt, that's concerning. I can be concerned and still optimistic. Optimism isn't blind belief that all will be well. 

National evidence indicates that the usual methods of rating teams does not apply in a year where Arkansas State beats K-State beats OU (again). It's happening everywhere. A&M is more than a handful of points better than Vanderbilt even though it would be more fun if they weren't. It will be a wild and probably fun season with plenty of suspense.

The B1G and PAC 12 will enter late and will be in a world of shit as the rest of the country will be ahead of them in experience.

I'll enjoy the ride week to week. If we lose most of the rest of our games, please quote this post and call me an idiot. I won't care anymore than the other type of fan cares that I don't choose their way of approaching a season. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, troph said:

The unranked Kansas State team would probably curb stomp the Texas team that showed up today.

Well that's just not true at all. I'm not sure why some of you are treating Tech like any other opponent and Lubbock like any other venue. I think most Alabama fans are glad when they escape with a win from Jordan Hare even when Auburn is down. 

And I think you're seriously overrating the 2004 Horns. That wasn't some consensus top 3 team that you knew wasn't going to lose every week. Since DKR only the 2005 and 2009 Horns fit the bill of what you're describing.

Well that's just not true at all. I'm not sure why some of you are treating Tech like any other opponent and Lubbock like any other venue. I think most Alabama fans are glad when they escape with a win from Jordan Hare even when Auburn is down. 

And I think you're seriously overrating the 2004 Horns. That wasn't some consensus top 3 team that you knew wasn't going to lose every week. Since DKR only the 2005 and 2009 Horns fit the bill of what you're describing.

This team isn’t one of those teams. That’s what I’m saying. I’ll be absolutely shocked if this team wins out or only loses one.

Escaping Lubbock with a W is a big deal but keep in mind even with the mystique of Lubbock, the series is still heavily tilted to Texas even in modern history, now 20-7 since 1994. That’s a 3 to 1 advantage.

Texas let them hang around all game, pissed away a chance to go up 3 scores and put the game away and then lapsed so bad the chance of winning was less than one percent. That was a fluke ending, it was. Surely it will add to the mystique but it was an abnormality in CFB not the beginning of a magical title run. I’m happy, glad and hopeful Texas plays OU undefeated in two weeks.

But this is not a championship team. They may win the big 12 but even with OU losing I will not count on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, troph said:

This team isn’t one of those teams. That’s what I’m saying. I’ll be absolutely shocked if this team wins out or only loses one.

I don't see anyone comparing us to the 2005 or 2009 teams. So I guess we agree. 

I won't be shocked if we only lose one in the regular season. I would be pleasantly surprised, however. I'm not liking our chances at winning out. 

I don't see anyone comparing us to the 2005 or 2009 teams. So I guess we agree. 
I won't be shocked if we only lose one in the regular season. I would be pleasantly surprised, however. I'm not liking our chances at winning out. 

Well, here’s where I get irritated, this team should be one of those teams. Sam is good enough on paper for Texas to be raking opponents and in the top 3. And that’s why I’m disgusted at times. It’s pitiful. Bama, Clemson and Texas should be the top 3.

And to Roma’s points maybe optimism will carry the day and Texas will develop next week more then pull out a victory over OU and then start to ride baby ride.

I’ll hope for it, but when it doesn’t happen I’ll fall back to where I am today, this program should be top 3 this year and if it isn’t it’s a failure and a waste of the first legit QB we’ve had in a freaking decade.
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, troph said:

Well, here’s where I get irritated, this team should be one of those teams. Sam is good enough on paper for Texas to be raking opponents and in the top 3. And that’s why I’m disgusted at times. It’s pitiful. Bama, Clemson and Texas should be the top 3.

And to Roma’s points maybe optimism will carry the day and Texas will develop next week more then pull out a victory over OU and then start to ride baby ride.

I’ll hope for it, but when it doesn’t happen I’ll fall back to where I am today, this program should be top 3 this year and if it isn’t it’s a failure and a waste of the first legit QB we’ve had in a freaking decade.

In the 4th quarter I came to the conclusion that there are basically two reasons why we might come up short this year, again:

• Herman isn't the guy

• Sam isn't the guy

Defense, special teams, wide receiver injuries - all that other jazz is just fluff and doesn't move the needle near as much.

I'm really hoping both of them aren't true, but had we lost yesterday I would have been wondering. I'd wager a hefty sum that at least one of them is true, but I'm not sure that makes it impossible to win at a national level. 

There's an outside chance that neither are true, but we're going to need to see a lot more from this team before I can entertain that idea.

In the 4th quarter I came to the conclusion that there are basically two reasons why we might come up short this year, again:
• Herman isn't the guy
• Sam isn't the guy
Defense, special teams, wide receiver injuries - all that other jazz is just fluff and doesn't move the needle near as much.
I'm really hoping both of them aren't true, but had we lost yesterday I would have been wondering. I'd wager a hefty sum that at least one of them is true, but I'm not sure that makes it impossible to win at a national level. 
There's an outside chance that neither are true, but we're going to need to see a lot more from this team before I can entertain that idea.

You could be right. But I think one has to be true to win it all. Either a transcendent QB (VY, Newton, etc) or a coach leading a program that can win with solid players who execute (Bama).

I agree at 56-41 I thought neither were true and that’s still why I refer to Sam’s paper stats.

I’m quite adept at holding juxtaposed positions as possibly true until one proves true. I will be optimistic and hopeful. I will also believe this team won’t be the championship team I think they should be until one is proven true.

I also think your point on defense and special teams is true. When the defense dialed in they shut tech down in OT. There is so much about defense that is pure focus. Lots of mid game lollygagging around but when it was needed those guys shut them down. I’ll assume that focus will increase as time goes by - but a transcendent coach like Saban would rip them apart for it and you’d see a lot less mistakes next week. Can Herman do that? We’ll see.

6 minutes ago, troph said:

You could be right. But I think one has to be true to win it all. Either a transcendent QB (VY, Newton, etc) or a coach leading a program that can win with solid players who execute (Bama).

Right, and so we have to wonder, what's more likely? Sam is that transcendent quarterback and a step above the Jason Whites and Ken Dorseys of the world, or Herman is that transcendent coach and a step above the Jim Harbaughs and Mark Richts of the world.

I'd probably lean towards the former. Maybe they're both half a step above and that's good enough to win. 

Edited by ztejas

This game will do more to make us better than a blowout win would have. Even better that it happened early before we get tested by better teams.

This seems like one of those optimistic takes that ignores reality. Why do people think having had months to prepare and failing, someone (Herman) is just magically going to figure it out because of a bad showing? If he had the answers you think he wouldn’t have deployed them by now? After a massive staff change?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Right, and so we have to wonder, what's more likely? Sam is that transcendent quarterback and a step above the Jason Whites and Ken Dorseys of the world, or Herman is that transcendent coach and a step above the Jim Harbaughs and Mark Richts of the world.
I'd probably lean towards the former. Maybe they're both half a step above and that's good enough to win. 

With sam’s execution the last three series the ball was in his hand and his statement we would win, I’ll give slight odds to the former as well - if we win big this year (to me that means make the CFB playoffs at a minimum).

No, you owe me... I watched two episodes of Antiques Roadshow during the 2nd half. Even Mrs. Brat couldn’t take any more when Tech hit 56. Afterwards we walked back into the living room and she hollered “the game is still on!”.
I still wouldn’t watch any of the OT.
l couldn't watch either. because fucking fox cut away the some fucking who gives a shit baseball game. fucking bastards! and then on the fs1 replay this morning the fuckers did it again. bastards! I guess I'm gonns have to wait for tuesday replay on hn.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Anyone not happy about the win is not a real fan.

But that doesn't mean you can't be concerned about how this game was played. The penalties, missed tackles, play calling, giving up 56 points. Things like that always come back to bite the program in the ass later on. Hopefully Herman learns his lesson this year and fixes the issues before it is too late.

can i be happy with the win and at the same time totally pissed off and calling for tom's head?

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

best regular season Texas game since Arkie in '69, and seeing as that was the de facto national championship game, i don't have a problem calling this (i.e. tceh yesterday) the best, most exciting regular season game in Texas history.

here's my idea of most exciting regular season game.  i was only 4 years old so i wasn't there.  but i'm sure we have a few denizens hanging around who were.

Austin, December 5th, 1970

Ranked #1 and put the sword to #4 pig 42-7 on national ABC with no other games on, to finish an unbeaten regular season and clinch the UPI (before the first cottondomerdisaster).

(UPI voted before the bowls through 1973 i think).

"FUN" and "MOST EXCITING" should be reserved for conference championship games, fair park, and the playoffs.

in the regular season with the exception of thieves, i don't share your idea of fun as FUN.

Edited by Hagbard Celine
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Akers '77 & '83 say hi.

3 hours ago, naija said:

This seems like one of those optimistic takes that ignores reality. Why do people think having had months to prepare and failing, someone (Herman) is just magically going to figure it out because of a bad showing? If he had the answers you think he wouldn’t have deployed them by now? After a massive staff change?

i can only rep this once.  this is the #1 reason i've had an overnight meltdown and flipped fully to the dark side.

how can you run backwards FACING your own endzone trying to fair catch a punt on your own 25?

RUN THE FUCK AWAY.

Drive the ball.

Go up 3 scores.

i'm just still shattered that anyone can sugarcoat this.  damn i get more pissed off every minute i'm on this fucking board today.

I love it.  Shows how sports will fuck with you mind.  Dude (to him) lost the equivalent of a sub sandwich and he devastated.  Lol

He bet on Tech to win outright correct? That’s a pretty bold bet considering what happened to both teams in the first game.
It must suck to have come that close to cashing in, but placing that bet, you have to know there’s like an 80% chance you are throwing that $$ away.

2 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

He bet on Tech to win outright correct? That’s a pretty bold bet considering what happened to both teams in the first game.
It must suck to have come that close to cashing in, but placing that bet, you have to know there’s like an 80% chance you are throwing that $$ away.

He woulda win 85 though