2020 French Open

shadow_operative2.0

On NBC they had the post match interview (that The Tennis Channel did not) and Kenin & Swiatek played each other in the French Open Juniors. 

Kenin said that Swiatek won in a close one. 

My thinking is that they are both very different than they were whenever the hell that was. (At least 3 years ago, if not more.)

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

On NBC they had the post match interview (that The Tennis Channel did not) and Kenin & Swiatek played each other in the French Open Juniors. 

Kenin said that Swiatek won in a close one. 

My thinking is that they are both very different than they were whenever the hell that was. (At least 3 years ago, if not more.)

sofia's interview?  TC online showed it.    

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

sofia's interview?  TC online showed it.    

1) Was it the on court interview immediately after she won that was conducted by a French lady?

2) Or the one with the press where she is sitting at a mic inside?

I was talking about #1, on court. While watching live, TC went to their desk studio inside the stadium for commentary from Steve Weissman & Chanda Rubin and you could occasionally hear the audience applauding in the background, but didn’t show it. 

I was confused why they wouldn’t show it live, then thought “Maybe they are contractually obligated not to” and started flipping through channels to see if anyone else was carrying the match. Sure enough, NBC Sports has been showing it live as well and the NBC affiliate in the DFW area (channel 5) was showing the match about 45 to 60 minutes delayed. 

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

1) Was it the on court interview immediately after she won that was conducted by a French lady?

2) Or the one with the press where she is sitting at a mic inside?

I was talking about #1, on court. While watching live, TC went to their desk studio inside the stadium for commentary from Steve Weissman & Chanda Rubin and you could occasionally hear the audience applauding in the background, but didn’t show it. 

I was confused why they wouldn’t show it live, then thought “Maybe they are contractually obligated not to” and started flipping through channels to see if anyone else was carrying the match. Sure enough, NBC Sports has been showing it live as well and the NBC affiliate in the DFW area (channel 5) was showing the match about 45 to 60 minutes delayed. 

yeah it was on court.  i only unmuted the tail end of it but they were speaking english.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HoustonFrog said:

Kenin reminds me of a better Cibulkova. Total bulldog fighter. Her dad annoys the fuck out of me though, punishments should escalate from fines to suspension.

Rafa would only have 8 to 12 Majors if it weren’t for cheating via coaching (to say nothing of his muscle building regimen).

Cheating via coaching has been around forever. Rafa has far and away been the biggest offender the last two decades. Maybe if Kenin goes on a run of 6 of the next 8 majors, something will be done, but I think that the WTA rules have changed and the French Open just hasn’t caught up. 

But when a guy who learned about the game in order to teach his daughter, I don’t have an issue with it. Until they ban all coaches from attending matches... meh. 

Rafa would only have 8 to 12 Majors if it weren’t for cheating via coaching (to say nothing of his muscle building regimen).
Cheating via coaching has been around forever. Rafa has far and away been the biggest offender the last two decades. Maybe if Kenin goes on a run of 6 of the next 8 majors, something will be done, but I think that the WTA rules have changed and the French Open just hasn’t caught up. 
But when a guy who learned about the game in order to teach his daughter, I don’t have an issue with it. Until they ban all coaches from attending matches... meh. 

Yeah good points. He still annoys me for other reasons. I’ve been a big Kenin fan for about 1.5 years though, was super pumped and shocked when she won AO

I have no idea who I’m going to root for in the men’s side after the Big 3 actually move on. They’re all so flawed compared to those guys. Sinner is maybe the cleanest game all around. Shapo should be the next great 10+ GS winner, but he’s horribly coached/won’t listen

3 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Nadal not messing around today. This is his “how dare you beat me last time” match

2 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

Yeah that was a pretty good beat down. Not a massacre, but never felt like Diego had much of a chance

ITs crazy that that straight sets beat down still took a smidgen over 3 hours. 

ALSO:

Along the lines of Tsitsipas being weak minded... 

Check out the break points vs break points won:

F52C9E67-5B50-4767-807E-BA5AD5E6F83C.jpeg

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Well well well. Tsitsipas got a break, and it was on set point too. We play 4

Djokovic was serving for the MATCH!

Then Tsitsipas broke to go 5-5. Then held and BROKE AGAIN for the set. Is this the beginning of the end for the Serb?

4CDCE9AC-CDE1-4A09-AD4C-3BE629FF06B9.jpeg

Sofia Kenin, Stefanos Tsitsipas fined for coaching help at French Open

• Associated Press                                                            October 7, 2020

PARIS -- French Open semifinalists Sofia Kenin and Stefanos Tsitsipas have both been fined $8,500 at the tournament so far for multiple infractions, including receiving coaching help.

Both coincidentally were docked the same amounts for the same offenses: $3,000 for coaching in the first round, another $4,000 for coaching in the fourth and an additional $1,500 for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Both are coached by their fathers. No coaching help is allowed during matches at Grand Slam tournaments.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/30064040/sofia-kenin-stefanos-tsitsipas-fined-coaching-help-french-open

If not already, Swiatek will soon be dating her coach, her sports psychologist, or both. 

And she will be winning a lot of tournaments along the way. 

Kenin’s wins were about 40% due to her strokes and about 60% due to sewing doubt in Iga’s mind. Once Iga overcame that doubt, it was over. 

Don’t know how much better Kenin would have played without the injury, but that little bit more would having helped the sewing doubt category more than making shots that Iga couldn’t return. 

Mans Iga doesn’t have a racquet contract at the moment...

Holy shit will the money pour in over the next three months.